Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sleeve Patches

Likes (received)

Default Sleeve Patches

Gassho,

Our branch hasn't been using th patches for the sleeves, but we are about to change that. We are putting in an order. We noticed that there are two types: Iron-on and Velcro.

Which type are most of you using? I am guessing the Velcro are the most durable and therefore that might the type most people order. Am I correct in this assumption?

Kesshu,

--Mike
    Mike Kirgan
    Florida International University Branch
    Miami, Florida
    http://www.fiu.edu/~shorinji

Likes (received)

Velcro. I don't trust iron-on to last through many washing cycles, particularly given that the location of the patch is over a spot that bends when the dogi is folded. If you do get velcro and have more than one dogi, you will need to buy additional pieces of velcro to sew on the other uniforms (unless you get extra patches).

The one advantage to iron-on is not having to keep track of the patch. I think the best part of the new logo requirements is that is is embroidered and I don't have to remember where I put it whenever I wash the dogi. Honestly the shoulder patch seems unnecessary and I would rather not use it at all.
    Gary Dolce
    Ann Arbor Branch
    WSKO
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    http://www.shorinjikempo.com

Likes (received)

Gassho.

I prefer the "iron-on" type, but as Gary I don't trust it to stay by just iron it on to the dogi so I sew mine on.
    I have some dogi with the velcro as well, but prefer the iron on type because it is thinner and softer and you don't have to remember where it is since it is always there.

I like that we have some sort of indication where kenshi are from, since we don't have that on the breast badge anymore.
    In Sweden we have choosen to have the branch name on the sode-sho, but I have seen many countries have choosen to have the country name for all branches in their federation.
    Since we mostly practice in our own country, and most kenshi attend gasshuku in their own country I find it nice to be able to see what branch kenshi come from.

/Anders
    Anders Pettersson
    www.shorinjikempo.net - www.shorinjikempo.se
    半ばは自己の幸せを、半ばは他人の幸せを - 宗 道臣
    "Nakaba wa jiko no shiawase wo, nakaba wa hito no shiawase wo" - So Doshin

Likes (received)

Default Velcro

Gassho!

Our branch uses velcro Sode sho. I didn't even know there was another type so it wasn't exactly an active choice on our part, I suppose.

Kesshu,
    ______ Jan.
    Jan Lipsius
    少林寺拳法
    Shorinjikempo
    Humboldt University Berlin Branch

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Gandhi

Likes (received)

Default Website?

Dear All

Gassho

Please can someone advise me on a website that provides information/ conditions of the sleeve badge? I have forgotten what the colours and design represent in terms of instructor levels, federations etc

Many Thanks

Mike Smith

Likes (received)

It was on the Japanese Wikipedia, now on the wiki:

Since the new mark was officially brought into use in March 2005, the requirement to display a shoulder patch (sodesho) was also created. The shodesho should display which branch you belong to as well as a colored stripe signifying which organisation you represent. The sodesho is black with white embroidered text.

* Sodesho Stripe Colors
    o ■Red Kongo Zen Sohozan Shorinji (Doin Branches)
    o ■Blue Shorinji Kempo Renmei (School and other non-doin Branches)
    o ■Green Zenringakuen (Busen)
    o ■Purple World Shorinji Kempo Organisation (WSKO)

There are also exceptions for the color of the embroidery; Hombu staff can use Gold, Branch managers can use Silver, assistants and other staff can use Red.
    http://www.leonjp.com/wiki/Sodesho
    Leon Appleby (Tokyo Ouji)
    半ばは自己の幸せを、半ばは他人の幸せを
    SK Blog at http://www.leonjp.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Smith View Post
    Dear All
    Please can someone advise me on a website that provides information/ conditions of the sleeve badge? I have forgotten what the colours and design represent in terms of instructor levels, federations etc
    Gassho,

Here is the link to the order form on the wsko web site. The form lists all the requirements for each color.

http://www.shorinjikempo.or.jp/wsko/...ochumonsho.pdf

In short, the form says the following:

Gold - WSKO Directors, WSKO Instructors, Officers of national feerations who are 4th Dan and Above
    Silver - Branch Masters, Coaches
    Red - Registered assistant instructors wtih 3rd Dan an d above
    Black - Kenshi

I don't see any mention on the form about purple, green or blue as a valid colors. Are those colors only valid in a specific federation?

Kesshu,

--Mike
    Mike Kirgan
    Miami, Florida

Likes (received)

Default Colours

Gassho!

Quote Originally Posted by kirgan View Post
    […]
    I don't see any mention on the form about purple, green or blue as a valid colors. Are those colors only valid in a specific federation?
    I think You're confusing the two colour bars here: One is a thin bar that denominates the part of the organization the Kenshi belongs to, the other is wider and denominates the rank/position as put down in Your post. Black here simply means that there is no such second bar, which is the case for the majority of Kenshis.

Kesshu,
    ______ Jan.
    Jan Lipsius
    少林寺拳法
    Shorinjikempo
    Humboldt University Berlin Branch

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Gandhi

Likes (received)

As Jan mentioned there is two different colour bars. The purple is for WSKO as desrcibed in Leon's post.

Here is a picture of the different badges with sample text. As you can see there is a thin purple line, which tells that the branch belong to WSKO, and the upper part is to indicate instructors, assistants etc.

/Anders
    Anders Pettersson

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Pettersson View Post
    As Jan mentioned there is two different colour bars. The purple is for WSKO as desrcibed in Leon's post.

Here is a picture of the different badges with sample text. As you can see there is a thin purple line, which tells that the branch belong to WSKO, and the upper part is to indicate instructors, assistants etc.

/Anders
    Gassho,

Thanks for the clarification.

--Mike
    Mike Kirgan
    Miami, Florida

Likes (received)

Gassho,

Our branch hasn't been using th patches for the sleeves, but we are about to change that. We are putting in an order. We noticed that there are two types: Iron-on and Velcro.

Which type are most of you using? I am guessing the Velcro are the most durable and therefore that might the type most people order. Am I correct in this assumption?

Kesshu,

--Mike
    Hi Mike,

Basically people use the velcro because peel it off before washing so it does not fade and look washed out which is what happens with the iron ons (which have to be sewed on because they do not hold up only ironed on). I have found that an iron on looks better because it is thinner, and does not attract lint, loose threads, etc, like the vlecro does. If you was your dogi inside out the iron on will keep its color better. Washing between 1-3 times per week, I found my badge looked good for about 2 years after which I replaced it.

I am sure I would have lost a velcro one within a two year period, so the iron on is probably more economical for me as well.

Hope that helps

Peter
    Peter

Likes (received)

I use an iron-on with velcro sewn on, mainly because I have no choice in what I get Works fine for me, just need to remember to put it on when I take the dogi.
    Leon Appleby (Tokyo Ouji)
    半ばは自己の幸せを、半ばは他人の幸せを
    SK Blog at http://www.leonjp.com

Likes (received)

Gassho,

Thank you everyone. I have relayed your comments to our branch members and branch master. Your feedback will help us decide which type we are going to order.

Kesshu,

--Mike
    Mike Kirgan
    Miami, Florida

Likes (received)

let us know what you decide
    Peter

Likes (received)

Default More on sodesho

I could tell you about a little story related to sodesho from when I was in Japan in November.

Besides the Taikai in Tokyo and the short trip to Hombu I spent about two weeks in Kyoto and during that time I went and looked at the examination they had one Sunday.

One kid (teenager) was scheduled to take his test for shodan, but since he forgot his sodesho (obviously velcro type) he couldn't take his test (one need to have a correct dogi, including sode-sho etc., all neccesary bogu and so on to be eligable to take the test).
    He had to sit and watch and I am pretty sure that he checked more than once that he had all things in his bag for the next testing day (they usually have a test day each month).

/Anders
    Anders Pettersson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast