Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Japanese sword ban in UK

Likes (received)

I'll have to pop in to Leeds Armouries to see if they are still selling those absolutely awfully coloured wallhangers... you too can have a dayglo saya in blue or orange (no, not cool, you need sunglasses to be able to look at them without throwing up...)

To misquote a USA saying, " you will have to prise it from my cold dead fingers"!
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

Update, looks like iaito will be exempt:

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/about-u...banning-swords
    Jim Boone

Flick Lives!

Likes (received)

Living where I am in China, I can go out and purchase switchblades, telescopic battons, stun guns, shuriken, knuckle dusters, etc. in the street. Numerous small market stall holders sell them right in the middle of the city, around the main shopping areas. I once handled some Boker switchblades in one of the large shopping malls.

Given the logic of the UK government, it should not be safe for me to leave my apartment at night, but the fact is it is quite the opposite. However, when I lived in Manchester in the UK, four people were shot in one night in the street I lived in.

If it were simply the availability of weapons being an issue, then banning said items would make a difference. It doesn't. The simple facts, being a rise in the use of weapons, edged weapons in particular, prove otherwise. The 17 weapons on the Offensive Weapons order have not stopped or reduced violent crime. Banning swords might reduce sword crime, but so what, as those inclined to such action will simply find another tool for their purpose. Ergo, the public is no more safer than they were before.

The need to be looking elsewhere for answers, beyond simply banning stuff, should be clear by now, but it is not politically convenient to do so, nor does it bring the chance for self promotion so beloved of politicians.

It doesn't seem fashionable any more to say that a person is responsible for their actions and behaviour, (barring clear mental health issues), and that they should be held accountable for them. I couldn't care less what a person is carrying, but rather what they do with what they are carrying, (you might remember the, 'all men are rapists because they have the potential to rape' arguement put forth by one feminist thinker).

Let a person be judged by their actions and not by suspicion of what they might do. Have your knife, have your sword or gun. Use it though to commit an act of murder or to maim someone, and expect an appropriate jail sentence, (meaning murder gets you buried inside the jail compound having served a full life sentence and died of old age).

Of course the politicians would never agree to it, because it would take the control from their hands and give it back to people they are supposed to serve.

N.B. My comparison of a major city in China and a major city in the UK is simply to compare like for like in regards to weapons availability and the resulting violent crime. Neither the availability of weapons, nor significant social disadvantages has led to a major issue of violent crime in said Chinese city. These are the two issues most often used by UK politicians and 'liberal' thinkers when trying to explain the issue of violent crime.
    Michael Becker

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chidokan View Post
    To misquote a USA saying, " you will have to prise it from my cold dead fingers"!
    The police come to your house with their armed response unit and you fail to comply, that is exactly what will happen.
    Michael Becker

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maro View Post
    You are correct Bruce. The same thing happened here in Oz. Lot's of media exposure but little real change. Our friends in VIC have to join a knife club at about $20 a year to buy swords. The legislation in QLD and NSW evaporated.

Swords are still restricted here - which is a good thing. I don't think you should be able to own a weapon just because it's "Shiny". If I'm challenged by a policeman on the way to training, I have ID and a legitimate reason.

Whilst the legislation is "Knee-jerk", so is the response from a lot of posters. The UK has no bill of rights and we have no history of bearing arms. It's a priviledge. If you don't like it, run for parliament or lobby your local MP. That's how our system works.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't think I should be restricted by the irrational fears of hoplophobes, (I refer to the controlling inclinations of the police and politicians, not yourself-just clarifying as I don't want to cause offence).

The blunt and brutal reality is that many people have happily accepted what Benjamin Franklin warned against:

'Anyone who would sacrifice freedom for safety deserves neither'.

They have sacrificed their freedom and gotten not one bit of extra safety as a result. Violent armed crime has risen and those defending person or property run the very real risk of going to jail AND being sued by the offending criminal should they be injured.

The idea that there is a real democratic system running is risable. We have a party system whereby one bunch gets to play dictator for four or five years, and being able to choose the best time for themselves to try and get re-elected.

Despite the unfortunately realities of the situation, I'll continue to persue the ideal of personal freedom rather than submit to the idea of my rights being 'priviledges' to be dispensed by those 'on high'.
    Michael Becker

Likes (received)

Michael, I'm a POM even though I live here.

The Freedom from your quote has never been a constant in the UK. It's a totally different doctrine.
    Mat Rous

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maro View Post
    Michael, I'm a POM even though I live here.

The Freedom from your quote has never been a constant in the UK. It's a totally different doctrine.
    Hello Mat,

I was airing my personal feelings. Apologies if I did not make that clear. I wouldn't agree that the UK has a totally different doctrine, more that things have changed substantially in the last century or so.

Years ago the excellent 'Handgunners' magazine published an article about weapons control and its rise during the course of the 20th century in the UK. Weapons control within the UK is a fairly recent thing. It isn't that long ago you could get a shotgun license from the post office.
    Michael Becker

Likes (received)

Whilst weapons were available, it wasn't the case that you could wander around with your weapons (Apart from Shotguns).

Misuse would carry a hefty penalty.
    Mat Rous

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2