Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Raul, our thanks for visiting us at FIU

Likes (received)

Default Raul, our thanks for visiting us at FIU

Gassho Raul,

It was a great meeting you in person tonight and a pleasure having you join us at our practice. It was interesting seeing some of the techniques we have be practicing from new perspectives. I also found some of the tips you were using to explain some techniques to our Kyu level kenshi useful. I'll have to borrow some of those tips when I help teach them in the future.

You even got to meet the famous Ryan from our branch - the guys who feels no pain. None of us have been able to cause him to feel pain with any technique or bring him down - unless he decides be nice in order to allow us to finish the technique. Of course even then, he just smiles as we try to apply some pin and asks "Is that supposed to hurt?". Even Messersmith Sensei can't make him feel any pain at all. Interesting fellow. Of course, we have to be careful not to overdue it with him. Since he feels no pain to give us any warning signs, it is hard to know how much is to much with him. So, we just have to be cautious to avoid accidentally injuring him.

If your ever back in Miami, your always welcome to stop by and join us. Hope you enjoyed your stay and have a good and safe trip back.

--Mike
    Mike Kirgan
    Florida International University Branch
    Miami, Florida
    http://www.fiu.edu/~shorinji

Likes (received)

Default More good tips?

Gassho!

Quote Originally Posted by kirgan View Post
    […] I also found some of the tips you were using to explain some techniques to our Kyu level kenshi useful. I'll have to borrow some of those tips when I help teach them in the future. […]
    I hope, all those nice tips have already made their way into the crib collection!?

Kesshu,
    ______ Jan.
    Jan Lipsius
    少林寺拳法
    Shorinjikempo
    Humboldt University Berlin Branch

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Gandhi

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by kirgan View Post
    Gassho Raul,

It was a great meeting you in person tonight and a pleasure having you join us at our practice. It was interesting seeing some of the techniques we have be practicing from new perspectives. I also found some of the tips you were using to explain some techniques to our Kyu level kenshi useful. I'll have to borrow some of those tips when I help teach them in the future.

You even got to meet the famous Ryan from our branch - the guys who feels no pain. None of us have been able to cause him to feel pain with any technique or bring him down - unless he decides be nice in order to allow us to finish the technique. Of course even then, he just smiles as we try to apply some pin and asks "Is that supposed to hurt?". Even Messersmith Sensei can't make him feel any pain at all. Interesting fellow. Of course, we have to be careful not to overdue it with him. Since he feels no pain to give us any warning signs, it is hard to know how much is to much with him. So, we just have to be cautious to avoid accidentally injuring him.

If your ever back in Miami, your always welcome to stop by and join us. Hope you enjoyed your stay and have a good and safe trip back.

--Mike
    Mike,

I had a wonderful time - much more than what I had originally expected. Thank you and Anatoly for your hospitality and allowing me to lead the class. That experience probably taught me more than it did for your kyu kenshi. I do hope you guys make it to Cornell Camp next year.

In regards to Ryan, yes you must be careful with him. Pain is the body's feedback-defense mechanism and if he has no feeling in his wrists for his own safety. Irreparable damage could occur to his joints. At the same time, he needs to "fake" his submission in order to allow his partner the ability to practice their skill. He sort of reminds me of the villian in the James Bond flick, "The World is Not Enough."

Please send my warmest regards to Messersmith Sensei.

Cheers,
    Raul Rodriguez
    Shorinji Kempo New York City Branch

http://www.ShorinjiKempoNYC.org

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by JL. View Post
    Gassho!

I hope, all those nice tips have already made their way into the crib collection!?

Kesshu,
    ______ Jan.
    I think Mike should do it as an exercise to remember them
    Raul Rodriguez
    Shorinji Kempo New York City Branch

http://www.ShorinjiKempoNYC.org

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by luar View Post
    Mike,

Thank you and Anatoly for your hospitality and allowing me to lead the class. That experience probably taught me more than it did for your kyu kenshi.
    Gassho,

I'm glad you had a good time and didn't mind us putting you on the spot to lead the class. Our kenshi are always used to me or Anatoliy leading the class, so for those of them who have not yet traveled, we thought it would be a good experience for them to see things from a different perspective.

At our last practive many of them expressed their thanks that we asked you to lead. It did get them new insight hearing some things explained a different way.

I do hope you guys make it to Cornell Camp next year.
    That would be great. I will certainly be passing on the word about the camp to all of our kenshi. I do expect some of them will be able to attend.

In regards to Ryan, yes you must be careful with him. Pain is the body's feedback-defense mechanism and if he has no feeling in his wrists for his own safety.
    He actually feels no pain anywhere - not in the wrist, arm or elbow and the pressure points on the leg or feet also have no effect on him. Shortly after he joined our branch, he did accidentally get an injured wrist, because we did know this about him. But luckily it wasn't to bad and he was back to normal after a short while. Now we are extra cautious with him.

It is actually really good practicing with him. It makes you have to try other means to make the techniques work. You really have to get good at getting him off balance to take him down, since pain is not an option.

Please send my warmest regards to Messersmith Sensei.

Cheers,
    We met Messersmith Sensei after practice on Sunday for a BBQ he was hosting at his house. I gave him your regards and he send his in return. He wished he was would have been able to meet you in person. Unfortunately the night you were able to join us at pracitce is the same day he teaches Asian studies class at the University.

--Mike
    Last edited by kirgan; 17th December 2007 at 15:33. Reason: fixing so quote commands are not displayed
    Mike Kirgan
    Miami, Florida

Likes (received)

I think Mike should do it as an exercise to remember them
    : )

Sounds like a good idea. I'll have to do that later this week.

--Mike
    Mike Kirgan
    Miami, Florida