Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shureido

Likes (received)

Default Shureido

I am looking to treat myself with some Christmas money and was thinking about a Shureido gi. Any thoughts or suggestions? Are there any significant differences between the heavyweight and middleweight gi?

thanks
    Jeff
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    I am looking to treat myself with some Christmas money and was thinking about a Shureido gi. Any thoughts or suggestions? Are there any significant differences between the heavyweight and middleweight gi?

thanks
    Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

Yes, There are differences in the weight category. Personally, I prefer heavyweight as opposed to middleweight. Its a matter of preferences. Other than the weight factor, I believed Shuriedo offers different "model".

My preference is the TK-10 Superior Heavy Weight Gi Tournament Cut which is 100% Cotton. There is another which is made of Rayon & Polyester

I know you are looking at Shureido, I do however suggest you check out The KI international new keikogi line called "Mugen"

I liked a lot and its now my preferred brand.

I have worn Tokaido, Kata, and Tokon and they are ok in my book. Oh and stay away from Addidas
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Prince,

Thanks for the feedback. I have a Meijin gi that I love, however, I figured this was one of the few times I would have the money to spend on a Shureido. Is there much difference between the heavyweight and middle weight? I don't want to spend the money on something that is going to be thin.

Thanks!

Jeff
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

My instructors prefer the CK10/blend also called the Shihan,I prefer the K10/cotton.The CK is softer and is more wrinkle free it is also whiter and tends to dry quicker.The K10 is a very light blue shade of white and holds the wrinkles a little more but it is crisper and has a better snap feel to it.They are both excellent gi.The T in front of the C or K designates tournament cut(shorter sleeves and legs and a longer cape).I only use Shuriedo so I cannot comment on the other brands.I have no complaints with Shuriedo so I will stick with them.I have trained with people that wear cheaper gi and even more expensive gi but I have never seen a better gi than Shuriedo. Tom Hodges
    Last edited by harleyt26; 25th December 2007 at 20:06. Reason: forgot signature

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    Prince,

Is there much difference between the heavyweight and middle weight? I don't want to spend the money on something that is going to be thin.

Thanks!

Jeff
    Hi Jeff !

It may not seems like it in the beginning. But after perhaps a hundred wash, it will be noticeable. Again, its a matter of preferences. I like mine a tad bit stiff after many wash or 5 years , whichever comes first.

If I were you, find someone or anyone who has both and try it out and see how it feels. I personally believe that trying out brand new keikogi does not really do much justice.

I kinda wish that stores would implement a policy that allows a buyer 30-60 days before deciding on purchasing such item. After all, we not buying costumes but an investment.

Good luck Jeff !
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Hello all.Jeff you might want to take a look at Hamid Abassalty's web site kuroobiya.com.He has a good selection of Gi's -Shureido,Hirota,Tokaido with plenty of information regarding weight,cuts etc.An English friendly site also,and what i have heard very good to deal with.

Likes (received)

I opted for a traditional cut heavyweight Shureido. I look forward to it arriving

Thanks for everyone's feedback!
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

sorry did not include signiture.
    Tim Herlihy
    Tim Herlihy