Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Takagi Ryu Chugokui mokuroku book

Likes (received)

Default Takagi Ryu Chugokui mokuroku book

Now available for the first time 'Takagi Ryu Chugokui Mokuroku'
    Editor : Dr Stephen Greenfield
    Tranlsation: Mr David Hewitt

This unique book contains a full reproduction and translation of a Takagi Ryu scroll dated 1844.
    8.5 x 11 inches
    Over 100 pages
    Over 60 high quality scans of the Takagi Ryu scroll and other historical densho and makimono (Gyokkoshin ryu , Tenton Happo ryu, Hojo ryu heiho and Iga Ryu Sojutsu)
    Available in full colour and black and white editions
    Drawing on both historical and contemporary Japanese and English sources the book also contains a history of some of the historical figures of the ryuha as well as rare woodclock prints derived from the orriginal sources of historical figures such as Takagi Oriemon and Takagi Umannosuke.

Available now from www.takagiryubook.co.uk
    Steve Greenfield

Likes (received)

Woah that sounds pretty neat. Though correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these sorts of scrolls highly guarded secrets detailing the specifics of a ryu (up to a certain level)?
    -John Nguyen

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nii View Post
    Woah that sounds pretty neat. Though correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these sorts of scrolls highly guarded secrets detailing the specifics of a ryu (up to a certain level)?
    Hi, the scroll is a mokuro which is a catalogue of technique, this branch also no longer exists hence why I felt it was 'ok' to release the scroll. It is of interest for those in Bujinkan, Genbukan Jinenkan and hontai yoshin ryu etc especially as it gives a good comparison on the evolution of the school also it is a nice thing to have , a historical document of one of the branches of a school that is currently practiced. It contains techniques for kama and kodachi as well as the jujutsu and omote no ka (comparible to the yurushi den in the Uenoden lineage)
    Steve Greenfield

Likes (received)

Dr. Greenfield,

Is the difference in price due to the books being hard and soft cover editions? Or is it mainly the full color and black and white differences?
    ----------------------

Regards,

Lee R

http://www.bujinkanseitakudojo.com/

Likes (received)

Thanks for the interest, the difference in price is due to the difference in production costs between the colour and black and white editions, I will make it more clear on the site. Thanks for your help.
    Steve Greenfield

Likes (received)

When you say catalogue of techniques, do you mean just a list, or written/drawn details of the methods and techniques? I do not study the branch arts you mentioned, but I am always interested in how the movements of other Koryu work.
    -John Nguyen

Likes (received)

I am a student of Hontai Yoshin ryu and would be very interested in hearing more about this book.

Jeff
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

Thanks for the interest everyone. I purchased the scroll from Japan, it was found in the Osaka region. The scroll is dated 1844. It is a Chugokui Mokuroku. The scroll contains a list or catalogue of techniques for the jujutsu of the school but also includes kodachi and kama, as well as a section entitled 'omote no ka' which contains techniques connected to use of rope, 'how to put to death'. There also appears to be a written 'kuden' phrase, which is quite interesting. At the end of the scroll is a lineage. This branch is seemingly previously unknown, if branches off after Nakayama Kazaemon.
    The main bulk of the book is a scan of that scroll in full, with a translation, which for those of us have an interestin Koryu jujutsu , especially practitioners of the varrious branches of the Takagi Ryu , for example the main line Takagi Ryu, Hontai Takagi Yoshin ryu, Hontai Yoshin ryu etc in that it is interesting to compare the main techniques , lineage , ura gata etc
    The first part of the book started as a pet project on compiling the history of the ryuha using as many Japanese resources as possible, I ended up finding out some interesting information sauch as the name of takagi oriemons wife, as well as finding a book written in the early 1900's on Takagi Oriemon as well as being lucky enough to get original copies of Bukei Hyakunin Isshu and the Musha Shugyo Junhiroku which has wookblock prints of Takagi Oriemon and Takagi Umanosuke. The book also contains translations of the poems and stories attached with some of these documents.
    Please let me know if there is anything else i can tell you
    Steve Greenfield

Likes (received)

Steven,

Are there many illustrations from the mokuroku? What any other illustrations?

Thanks so much for the response and info.

Jeff
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

Hi, the full scroll is in the book including the details of the scroll rolled up , external seals, central wooden core with glass rod core. Also there are illustrations in the form of woodblocks of Takagi Orieon and Takagi Umannosuke as well as pictures taken from a Gyokkoshin ryu makimono, hojo ryu Heiho , Tenton Happo Ryu ninjutsu and Iga ryu Sojutsu densho and makimono in my collection.
    Steve Greenfield

Likes (received)

Thumbs up

Dr. Greenfield,

Thank you very much for sharing your personal knowledge and portions of your collection of the Takagi Ryu and other Ryu-ha as well. The book is everything you have mentioned on the site and a little bit more. I received the full color edition while I was away on business. The shipping was fast and nicely packaged also. The only thing that some might not like is the few mistakes with spelling starting on the front cover, no biggie for me.

There are several references in the lineage section of the book and I'm sure many of the sources are familiar to many e-Budo members regardless of training background. Thank you again for presenting this scroll to the general public. I think it is of great interest for many of us to see the kanji and background associated with what we have been exploring over the years.

Please email me if you plan any future releases or even a hardback edition of this book.

Arigato Gozaimasu,
    ----------------------

Regards,

Lee R

http://www.bujinkanseitakudojo.com/

Likes (received)

Hi, first of all thank you very much for the kind comments. I checked back in the revision stages of the book and for some reason Adobe decided to substitute a c for an s on the front cover, no idea how. All i can do is apologise, you never know perhaps it will become the rare 'error' cover. If there are any errors please let me know as i will always strive to improve on things. It was an interesting process in that you never quite knew when to 'jump in' and publish as new stuff kept turning up, since then i have been lucky enough to find a 4 volume hand written text from the early 1800's on Takagi Oriemon describing his life training and martial arts, but the project had already been going for about a year. All proceeds are going towards my next projects a translation of a Densho from the Tenton Happo ryu, a ninjutsu school related to the Hakuun ryu. It contains Kuden from Hakuun Doshi. The second book will be a translation of a 2 volume document i have from the 1700's on the Kuki family ,including a full volume on the battles they were involved in. I am very excited about these two projects
    If there is enough demand a hardback edition is pretty easy to arrange
    Steve Greenfield

Likes (received)

Default Hi

Keep me updated i am interested in your research