Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Pepper spray and the law

Likes (received)

Default Pepper spray and the law

I was thinking of buying some pepper spray to deal with some wild and potentially violent dogs where I go jogging, but don't know where to get info about the legalities of carrying it within the state of Texas. Since you can legally carry around a 9mm (with a concealment license), I'd think that in the great state of Texas you can also carry a small canister of Mace/OC. They also make a canine pepper spray, but I don't know how it's classified. Any websites or links that address this?
    Kevin Geaslin
    Genbukan Ninpo & Kokusai Jujutsu

Likes (received)

TEXAS: Legal.

It is permissible to possess a "small chemical dispenser sold commercially for personal protection".

See Texas Penal Code Section 46.01 (14)

http://www.bakers-legal-pages.com/fa...4/pc_s_toc.htm

Likes (received)

Thanks for the link!
    Kevin Geaslin

Likes (received)

Buy the 15% if you can find it. Most stores sell 10%.
    Mark Harper
    Bujinkan Houston Dojo
    http://www.sciangler.com/bujiinkan/houston_dojo.htm

Likes (received)

Both Freeze +P and Capstun are very good... on people and dogs.
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,
    Tatsujin Photography & Design

Likes (received)

I bought some Muzzle brand canine pepperspray. Works pretty good but you can only get a few seconds of continuous fire before the cartridge is drained. Did come in handy, though.
    Kevin Geaslin

Likes (received)

Most small, keychain size give 5 seconds or multiple short bursts, the bigger ones give 10 to 30 seconds depending on size.
    You can also get bear spray but it is a bigger can and hard to conceal.
    Mark Harper
    Bujinkan Houston Dojo
    http://www.sciangler.com/bujiinkan/houston_dojo.htm

Likes (received)

Back in Afghanistan we had come up with the idea that we needed flashbang grenades and pepper spray as less-than-lethal means to stun an adversary so that we could capture as oppose to killing him. Flashbangs, of course, demanded a very specific use based on certain techniques and procedures. The pepper spray, however, was something that we thought might be of use in case we were in close proximity to someone unwilling to comply. Well, according to what we were told regarding the rules of engagement, pepper spray - and other like devices - fell in the same category as other "chemical weapons" and mandated a general officer approval on a case-by-case basis. So, in other words, we couldn't get the pepper spray, so, we went with the M9 pistol instead. Unfortunately, compliance in that case came with a price... total and unending compliance. I found that sometimes, the system should be more flexible than it is now. Honestly, there were times when we really didn't want to end up grappling with some guy hell bent on possibly killing any of us. In some cases, we didn't want to break anything on him either. But, since we were left with few less-than-lethal options, oftentimes, the option left was potentially extremely lethal.

Likes (received)

Default Honest Talk About War Killing Enemy

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Perez View Post
    Back in Afghanistan we had come up with the idea that we needed flashbang grenades and pepper spray as less-than-lethal means to stun an adversary so that we could capture as oppose to killing him. Well, according to what we were told regarding the rules of engagement, pepper spray - and other like devices - fell in the same category as other "chemical weapons" and mandated a general officer approval on a case-by-case basis. So, in other words, we couldn't get the pepper spray, so, we went with the M9 pistol instead. But, since we were left with few less-than-lethal options, oftentimes, the option left was potentially extremely lethal.
    This is honest and I like it for its reality function. Better to tell what's real, the better to deal with it.

The martial arts principles I see in your experience from the way you tell it involve maybe any of the following:

-If you put yourself in a battle situation, or are put into it, use what means possible to be effective in it.

-solve the problem. Always solve the problem if you have the power to do so.

-find a positive value in what you are doing, even if your actions are destructive.

-battle any opposition to a positive outcome with whatever means possible, not to always win but to stand for a value.

Thus I wonder if you could have battled more against the army regulations by taking into your own hands getting and using a debilitating spray?

-we must make our own decisions in life for the values we want to stand for, must we not?

I'm old now. Went to military school but never into the military. Chose alternative service working in a mental hospital instead of killing people. Later I loved the controlled fighting of an Aikido dojo.

I don't think military killing works, but I am concerned that soldiers put in such situation heal from the trauma they go through.

Thus as a retired psychologist I have worked with all sorts of war trauma. Thus I recognize your honesty here. Being realistic about ones real behavior anywhere in life will help one live a good life despite what one has been through.

I may be way off regarding you and your experience, but I'll take a chance on it. You opened the door. I won't necessarily go through it, but I will stand at the door!

Thanks for sharing. You represent for me an unlived side of my own life. Since I didn't live what you have, I didn't have to face the moral issues there.

Likes (received)

In Illinois pepper spray is considered a food product and therefore perfectly legal to carry and use.
    With respect,

Mitch Saret

Likes (received)

Maybe they spray some on their jumbalaya in Louisiana?
    Kevin Geaslin

Likes (received)

Don't forget that your local government or municipality may have tighter restrictions than the state laws.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Geaslin View Post
    Maybe they spray some on their jumbalaya in Louisiana?
    That would be Swamp Dust... =)

Try here: http://www.aerko.com
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,
    Tatsujin Photography & Design

Likes (received)

Here are two interesting twists on the pepper-spray paradigm; both presented by Kimber America:

http://www.life-act.com/guardianangel.php

http://www.life-act.com/jpx.php

Because the OC agent is propelled by a pyrotechnic charge, they may be considered "firearms" in some jurisdictions.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens View Post
    Here are two interesting twists on the pepper-spray paradigm; both presented by Kimber America:

http://www.life-act.com/guardianangel.php

http://www.life-act.com/jpx.php

Because the OC agent is propelled by a pyrotechnic charge, they may be considered "firearms" in some jurisdictions.
    I know that in Massachusettes which is right near me, Pepper Spray is Illegal unless you have an FID (Firearms Identification) card. Then again Mass seems to ban anything that can be used for self-defence purposes or even opening a box. Whenever we go into Mass we have to make sure we have nothing on us or in the car. You know it's bad when a friend of mine was threatened with arrest for possesion of a concealed weapon because he had a swiss army knife in his pocket and one cop pointed out a friends walking stick could be considered a cudgel under law and therefore be illegal *L*