Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Katate Maki in Yagyu Shinkage Ryu?

Likes (received)

Default Katate Maki in Yagyu Shinkage Ryu?

This is mainly for the practioners of Yagyu Shinkage ryu, but Id also like to know what other styles it is popular in.
    So im looking into this katana that done in a Katate Maki style. And i wanted to know if that particular style wrap would have been used by Yagyu Shinkage practioners, also, again was it popular in other styles? Thanks for any help.
    -William Toohey
    William J. Toohey

We mortals are but shadows and dust, but they who are legend never perish.

Likes (received)

Default Katate maki

Tsuka wrapping styles have no direct connection with the sword ryuha.
    For example, the Satsuma koshirae with katate maki existed before as
    shown in this photograph, but most samurai who learnt Jigen-ryu did not
    adopt katate maki.
    http://www.tokka.biz/soldSW/satsumak.html

Yagyu Jubei type gimmick sword on the market now has katate maki.
    However, his real sword didn’t have katate maki.
    http://www.sikaya.co.jp/product.asp?ano=501
    Mai Shikata

If you want to strike your opponent, you should let him strike at you.
    If your opponent strikes at you, he himself will already have been struck.
    -- Yagyu Munenori

Likes (received)

Haha, I think that sword is modeled after the one Sonny Chiba used in Makai Tensho. That looks great!
    If memory serves the purpose of katate maki was to keep the same from getting blood on it during fighting by completely covering the area which would normally be left open given a wide-ish grip with ito. I don't know how true that is, and for the life of me I can't recall where I heard it, but it's always stuck with me. In Edo Yagyu we use a grip with the hands close together, so covering the same in between the hands with ito to not get blood on them is a bit redundant. That said, I've always thought it was cool looking and one of these days would like to get it on one of my backup swords.
    Anywho, there is a koshirae style that is attributed to Yagyu, with a ribbed saya and menuki flipped on the opposite sides so they're swelling under the palms instead of the fingers. Usually when I see it done it's with hineri maki though, not katate maki. As it was explained to me though, the "Yagyu Koshirae" that's popular on Iaito is/was more of an Owari Yagyu thing. Years ago when I asked my teacher about it he seemed indifferent to the matter.
    To the original poster in my own group I've seen a great deal of variety. During the Edo Jidai there were strict regulations about sword length and koshirae, and what with Shinkage Ryu being patronized by the Shogun Yagyu Swordsmen probably stuck very close to that. These days though I see alot of personal choice, but nothing too garish.
    Increase My Killing Power, Eh?
    -Homer Simpson

Likes (received)

Please forgive my youthful ignorance, but so what i got out of the last post was "it doesnt matter too much, unless told not to"
    Thank you two so much for the info. It helps
    William J. Toohey

Likes (received)

I like to go with the party line of "ask your sensei." Joining a group it's best not to assume.
    Increase My Killing Power, Eh?
    -Homer Simpson

Likes (received)

Good idea...thanks
    William J. Toohey

Likes (received)

This is the one im getting, its made by a company called AngelSword, their a forge out in driftwood Texas, hand made, patented processes, i already own two of his pieces, a broadsword and a dagger. And this one just sings to me.
    http://www.angelswordstore.com/index...mart&Itemid=92
    Thanks for all your help gentlemen.
    William J. Toohey

Likes (received)

Im sorry if that came across as boting....not my intnet...
    William J. Toohey

Likes (received)

Hi William,
    My advice would be to save your money. When you get to the point that you need a sharp sword, I would be willing to bet that your instructor would much prefer you to get a more traditionally made Japanese style sword. You could get a decent one for what that sword would cost you. In the mean time, that money would be better spent on training equipment such as hakama, dogi, bokuto, fukuro shinai, iaito, etc ...
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Yeah...thats good advice. i appreciate it.
    William J. Toohey

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris deMonch View Post
    Anywho, there is a koshirae style that is attributed to Yagyu, with a ribbed saya and menuki flipped on the opposite sides so they're swelling under the palms instead of the fingers. Usually when I see it done it's with hineri maki though, not katate maki. As it was explained to me though, the "Yagyu Koshirae" that's popular on Iaito is/was more of an Owari Yagyu thing. Years ago when I asked my teacher about it he seemed indifferent to the matter.
    Just to add to Mr. deMonch's post here, Yagyu-koshirae is attributed to Yagyu Renya Toshikane, the 5th soke of (Owari) Yagyu Shinkage ryu. In the Yagyu-kai, there are some that use it, and others that don't. There's no rule, or even an especially concrete tradition. It seems to me that those that choose it do so because of pride and the historical connection. Those that don't use it do so simply because, for whatever reason, the sword they use doesn't have it.
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, žonne he ęt guše gengan ženceš longsumne lof, na ymb his lif cearaš. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

Excellent, so its just a personal choice? Thank you.
    William J. Toohey