Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Buddhist monks in the Japanese Imperial Army

Likes (received)

John,

While I'm certain you only have the best of intentions, I find your naivete with regards to Mr. Walker's intentions disarming!
    Allen Beebe

Likes (received)

Y'all should be punished for this.

Likes (received)

EDIT: Woops, repeated a pun. I'm out of puns =(
    -John Nguyen

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Svinth View Post
    Y'all should be punished for this.
    Oh I don't know. I'd give an arm and a leg to see how far they can go before we're all up in arms over their antics.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

The Pagan Barbarian Kingdom of the Netherlands
    Likes (received)

[QUOTE=Tom Karazozis;459141]Well, I suggest that you start exploring the history of Buddhism in Japan if you want to understand the answer to your question. But to makes things short and easy, I recommend that you read 'Zen at war' by Brian Victoria and for a general view of the whole history of religion in Japan I suggest you get a copy of 'A history of Japanese religion'. (...)

Thanks Tom!

A few days ago, I stumbled upon 'Zen at War' in a second hand bookstore (of all places, while even my own university library didn't have it!). Bought it, reading it now. Quite interesting stuff, especially since the author tackles the stance of some Mahayana buddhists on 'just war' and the way regimes in Eastern Asia succesfully subdued buddhism and even used it as a form of control for the government, not only in Japan, but elsewhere too. Also, the policy of certain Zen sects e.g. regarding the former 'paria's', after the war was something new to me.

Now I understand the monk going arm chopping thing
    Remi Vredeveldt

"Hysterical knowledge is often mistaken for historical knowledge"

Boni enim duces non aperto proelio, in quo est commune periculum, sed ex occulto semper adtemptant Vegetius Liber III, 9:5

Likes (received)

[QUOTE=Moenstah;463391]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karazozis View Post
    Well, I suggest that you start exploring the history of Buddhism in Japan if you want to understand the answer to your question. But to makes things short and easy, I recommend that you read 'Zen at war' by Brian Victoria and for a general view of the whole history of religion in Japan I suggest you get a copy of 'A history of Japanese religion'. (...)

Thanks Tom!

A few days ago, I stumbled upon 'Zen at War' in a second hand bookstore (of all places, while even my own university library didn't have it!). Bought it, reading it now. Quite interesting stuff, especially since the author tackles the stance of some Mahayana buddhists on 'just war' and the way regimes in Eastern Asia succesfully subdued buddhism and even used it as a form of control for the government, not only in Japan, but elsewhere too. Also, the policy of certain Zen sects e.g. regarding the former 'paria's', after the war was something new to me.

Now I understand the monk going arm chopping thing
    Hey, glad I can help! Don't mention it.
    Tom Karazozis
    °®«ΛιΘ -Kanshiketsu!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2