Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New trainee

Likes (received)

Default New trainee

Hello everyone. I've recently started taking Ryu Syo Kai Karate and I was wondering, as a beginner, what I should be concentrating on (conditioning and karate-wise) to get better. Should I be practicing certain things every day or should I just stick to training in karate class only (which I have twice a week)? I know some of you are sensei; what do you recommend to a beginner who wants to improve?

Nancy Ladouceur

Likes (received)

I would first consult your instructor. In the beginning I would suggest you only practice in the dojo under watchful eyes to avoid creating bad habits. Once you looked liked you were competent with a few techniques I would tell you to train daily-at least half an hour. Perhaps kicking drills, basics, a few kata. Aerobic and weights to supplement.
    At that point my attitude for students is the dojo is for learning-home is for training. Good luck.

Duane Wolfe
    Duane Wolfe

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
    Hello everyone. I've recently started taking Ryu Syo Kai Karate and I was wondering, as a beginner, what I should be concentrating on (conditioning and karate-wise) to get better. Should I be practicing certain things every day or should I just stick to training in karate class only (which I have twice a week)? I know some of you are sensei; what do you recommend to a beginner who wants to improve?

Nancy Ladouceur
    I would recommend asking the question of your instructor. Otherwise, practice whatever you were taught in your previous classes. Do it over and over again. If you are doing it wrong, no matter because your instructor will fix it.

My opinion,
    Tim
    Tim Black
    Kokusai Shinjinbukan

Likes (received)

BTW, who is your instructor? I know a couple of people in Senaha Sensei's organization...
    Tim Black
    Kokusai Shinjinbukan

Likes (received)

John Cole is my instructor. Check his website at www.sudburymma.com.
    Nancy Ladouceur

Likes (received)

The more you practice what was shown in class, you tend to imbed it in kinesthetic (muscle) memory. The brain and the body connect better and the moves that felt unusual early on then start to feel like they flow better without trying as hard. Repetition is the key. Work your basics (kicking/punching etc.) and your Katas daily. There are those who believe that Kata training no longer has any value but I believe it does. Even the most basic Kata have awesome Bunkai application. Learn them well. Love doing Kata, Bokken and Jo work in the AM especially when its mild to moderatly cold outside. Supplement with good cardio work for endurance ( I like walk for 2 min, jog for 1 min then sprint for 20-30 seconds and repeat the cycle for about 1-2 miles). Your Sensei may even structure an out of dojo training regimen for you, if you ask. Have done that for various students of mine throughout the years. Good luck on your journey.
    Rick Torres, Dojo Cho
    Integrity Defensive Arts
    Victoria, Texas
    www.ksrjujitsu.com
    [/B]

Likes (received)

I've been trying to practice by doing one kata a day and really concentrating on doing all the moves slowly (for now) so I can do it correctly. It's surprising how the kata look so simple but in fact have so many layers... I also need to practice doing my strikes from the hip. It's very hard! I can often do it when it is done at a slower pace and in a static position, but when a partner comes in, out the window! The senior students do it so easily!
    Nancy Ladouceur

Likes (received)

I've been trying to practice by doing one kata a day and really concentrating on doing all the moves slowly (for now) so I can do it correctly. It's surprising how the kata look so simple but in fact have so many layers... I also need to practice doing my strikes from the hip. It's very hard! I can often do it when it is done at a slower pace and in a static position, but when a partner comes in, out the window! The senior students do it so easily!
    Relax! You're not going through anything any one of us or seniors have not gone through. Practicing is fine but don't beat yourself over the head with it.
    Everyone learns different and their own pace. Do not think that you'll never get it. You will. Little by little things will fall into place.
    Just enjoy your training.
    Tony Urena

Likes (received)

Red face

Thanks for the advice everyone. I know that when I start something new that I really enjoy, I tend to get a little over excited about it. Patience is definitely something I need to work on!
    Nancy Ladouceur

Likes (received)

Progress comes from effort. One must polish the spirit. My practice motto:

PRACTICE (again and again), PRACTICE ( till you get it right)
    PRACTICE (till it becomes second nature), PRACTICE (over and over)
    PRACTICE (1,000 times then practice more).

Likes (received)

PRACTICE signing your name at the end of your posts

Duane Wolfe
    Duane Wolfe

Likes (received)

I put my name as my signature so I wouldn't have to sign it each and every time. Doesn't that come down to the same thing?
    Nancy Ladouceur

Likes (received)

I put my name as my signature so I wouldn't have to sign it each and every time. Doesn't that come down to the same thing?
    Yes Nancy, you are correct.
    Brian Culpepper

Likes (received)

I think that was in reference to cejames.
    With respect,

Mitch Saret

Likes (received)

Red face

Yes, it was. I just mistook it as being aimed at me.
    Nancy Ladouceur

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast