Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthy Body

Likes (received)

Default Healthy Body

OK, lets start a positive thread;

ways to get and maintain a healthy body.

http://www.swissmasai.co.uk/

I have a chronic lower back problem, maybe caused by being tall, leverage, etc.
    I brought a pair of these about a year ago, and, (in my experience), they work.
    The effect has been to loosen up the vertebrae in my neck. After wearing them for a while I would wake up in the morning and feel a crack in my neck joints. This has freed my neck muscles, which has improved my balance, flexibility, and general well being.

Anyone else have experience of these ?

(usual disclaimer; I don't have shares in the company, don't own a shoe shop, etc).

Other ways to improve health ?
    Indar Picton-Howell
    印打
    Abujavol

Likes (received)

Good site about health in general.

http://ec.europa.eu/health-eu/index_en.htm

Johan Frendin

Likes (received)

Default My experiences

Gassho

I like that website Johan, thanks. In terms of general well being, the BUPA website has some good stuff.

I've heard of MBT, I read about them in Men Fitnes. I'm glad they worked for you Indar. I've seen mixed reviews about them. I sit at a computer all day and use to get a thudding ache in my back. This worked well for me in regards to back pain:

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/Health/F...n~free-back/v2
    For the back

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/Fitness-...pain-relief/v3
    For the neck

I used the following exercises down the gym, http://www.backpain.org/pdfs/exercis...etter-back.pdf has a good description of the exercises.

Sensei Ade showed me this exercise which really helps.

Basic Twist: lower back stretching exercise.
    Lie on back, arms stretched out to the sides.
    Bend knees and bring knees up close to your chest
    Take a deep breath
    Exhale as you slowly lower knees (keep knees together) to floor to the right or as close to the floor as is comfortable.
    Pause.
    Inhale as you slowly return your knees to chest.
    Exhale as you slowly lower knees to left side
    Inhale as you return your knees to chest.

I also do a lot of core exercise, especially using a Swiss ball (Cheap great Xmas gift). I also believe in working opposing muscles in balance, therefore strengthening your stomach and waist is just as important as strengthening your lower back.

If we’re talking improved fitness and the benefits to training: At the start of 2006, I made my self a promise to get fitter, to bulk up a bit and to improve my cardio. I decided to go for a boxing exercise regime (see Boxing fitness, Ian Oliver). The end result was clear to see, my body changed shape and I improved my general suppleness, my posture and my cardio. I could train at more intense physical level for longer and whilst retaining my concentration. My hand speed and leg speed improved and general aches and pains were reduced. The benefits I saw in Kempo from hitting the gym really motivated me, especially as my shodan grading was coming up.

Unfortunately with a recently change in location and job, I’ve not been able to do as much exercise as I use to, which is frustrating because during my kempo training I have noticed a difference, but I’m currently readdressing this and making time for the gym again.

Kesshu
    Mike Smith

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Indar View Post

The effect has been to loosen up the vertebrae in my neck. After wearing them for a while I would wake up in the morning and feel a crack in my neck joints. This has freed my neck muscles, which has improved my balance, flexibility, and general well being.

(usual disclaimer; I don't have shares in the company, don't own a shoe shop, etc).

Hi Indar,

A few questions

How does wearing shoes loosen the vertebrae in your back?

if you think that you being tall and have too much leverage etc, wouldn't strengthening your back be more likely to help you than loosening your vertebrae?

Why do you think that a crack in your neck will lead to all the benefits you claim?

Do you think that cracking your fingers could have the same health benefits? It not, why?

Sorry to be difficult Indar, I couldn't follow your logic .

Cheers,
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

Indar,

My significant other just ordered these yesterday as she has a chronic problem with her left foot and is trying to avoid surgery. She is a physical therapist (MS) and certified instructor in gyrotonics, yoga and afro-cuban dance. I'll get her opinion about how these shoes could affect people of our height. Right now she's a little anxious about this because this is the type of product you wish you could try out for a couple of days to see if it can work for you. They are awfully expensive.

I suffered from back problems before I did Shorinji Kempo. In fact while training for my San Kyu test, I injured my back during Dai Sharin. I was very close to quitting but thankfully I never did and after many years, I am happy to say that I rarely suffer as I did back then which I credit Shorinji Kempo for helping me become more conscious of how my body moves.
    Raul Rodriguez
    Shorinji Kempo New York City Branch

http://www.ShorinjiKempoNYC.org

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gassin View Post
    if you think that you being tall and have too much leverage etc, wouldn't strengthening your back be more likely to help you than loosening your vertebrae?
    Strengthening your abs does a lot for your back as well as learning how to lower your center of gravity so as not to depend too much on the back muscles for leverage.
    Last edited by luar; 20th February 2008 at 15:59.
    Raul Rodriguez

Likes (received)

Smile

I few years ago I injured my lower back, to the point where I could barely walk without painkillers. Did it pushing a swing. All the wrong actions, stretched upwards, pushing with one hand while twisting. Even as I did it I knew how wrong it was - but too late.

Anyway, went to see a physio and he taught me one exercise that I had never come across and which turned out to be almost miraculous in its efficacy. It's quite simple as well. Just sit straight in a chair, knees at right angles. Then tense the 'internal' muscles like you were trying not to piss your pants Ten seconds full tension, relax for ten. Repeat ten times, every two hours of waking time. After a couple of weeks the pain had mostly gone.

The remainder disappeared after a few days swimming at Centre Parcs! I assume the flexing of the back repeatedly for several hours a day was vey beneficial.

Dirk

Likes (received)

Love my MBT's, work in them all day and they do help.
    Sean Dixie

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by sean dixie View Post
    Love my MBT's, work in them all day and they do help.
    Main Battle Tank???

Dirk

Likes (received)

Talking Pelvic floor muscles

Quote Originally Posted by dirk.bruere View Post
    Then tense the 'internal' muscles like you were trying not to p**s your pants
    Gassho

The anti-wee muscles are the Pelvic floor muscles. Pelvic floor excercises you can do at a desk, in your office. Pelvic floor muscles play an integral role in core stabilization and back health. The good news is that by keeping your pelvic floor muscles strong and flexible you can enhance "other areas of your life" as you help your back

kesshu
    Mike Smith

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gassin View Post
    Hi Indar,

A few questions

How does wearing shoes loosen the vertebrae in your back?

Why do you think that a crack in your neck will lead to all the benefits you claim?
    Hi Rob,

My post is based on experience, not logic; however, to try and answer your question.

I'm not an expert in this area, but I believe that the relationship of the head to the body is fundamental. The head should be balanced, with a minimum of muscle tension. Do a search on the Alexander Technique and Rolfing for more info.
    In fact, my knowledge of physiology was very poor until quite recently. I didn't know that each vertebrae is connected by the facet joints, and thought that each disc of bone was independent, and only stabilised by muscle. I think that the theory behind the mbt shoes is while wearing them, your balance is unstable, therefore you are constantly using the small muscles that control the relationship of each vertebrae to it's neighbours.

The shoes are relatively expensive, however I have spent hundreds of pounds in the past on oesteopaths and chiropractors. This has helped in the short term, but in the long term my back problems have always returned until now.
    The aim of the post is simply to try and share information in order to help others make an informed choice. I think that the "crack" in my neck that I describe is a result of the facet joints there freeing up. I have also experienced "cracking" in my mid and lower spine.

I agree that lower back strength and core strength is very important, and do daily exercises on a Swiss ball to build up these muscles.
    Indar Picton-Howell
    印打
    Abujavol

Likes (received)

Default Healthy body

ShorinjiKempo alone is not enough for a healthy body UNLESS you are training a minimum of 10 hours a week........

Always do something else to suppliment your training.

For me I go to the gym to train with weights a minimum of 3 times (4 1/2 hours) a week, also I play ice hockey 3 times a week, now that is hard work..... thats for 1 1/2 hours each time......

Always keep your body as healthy as possible, but not at the extent of missing some of the finer things in life..... a good beer/wine, a good meal.... etc.....
    After all you will only have one body....
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post

Always keep your body as healthy as possible, but not at the extent of missing some of the finer things in life..... a good beer/wine, a good meal.... etc.....
    After all you will only have one body....
    Its always been my completely unfounded belief that of stress, bad diet and no exercise one can survive any one out of three and remain healthy. Choose your vice...

Dirk

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
    Always do something else to suppliment your training.
    I enjoy cycling. Obviously a good way to build leg strength, although I have read that cycling can tighten the leg muscles, so more stretching is needed.

Cycling in central London is an excellent way to build happomoko; another reason to live in the capital of the world .
    Indar Picton-Howell
    印打
    Abujavol

Likes (received)

I enjoy cycling. Obviously a good way to build leg strength, although I have read that cycling can tighten the leg muscles, so more stretching is needed.
    This is so true as I am an avid cyclist who use to commute to work by bike as well as enter tours. I have the tightest hamstrings known to man and while its not all due to cycling, it certainly didn't help. Recently I've taken up running and thats done more to loosen my legs up as well as build endurance. I also try to do a lot of hamstring stretches while in the shower and watching TV.

Cycling in central London is an excellent way to build happomoko; another reason to live in the capital of the world .
    You need to try biking in Manhattan
    Raul Rodriguez

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast