Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another budo instructor accused of misconduct in Chicago

Likes (received)

Default Another budo instructor accused of misconduct in Chicago

From the Chicago Tribune

February 20, 2008

A 26-year-old karate instructor was ordered held in lieu of $150,000 bail Tuesday by a Cook County judge after he was charged with sexually abusing a 16-year-old student.

Prosecutors allege that Stephen Toyoda of Glenview sexually abused a girl who was taking his summer karate classes. The two were discovered by a witness who saw them engaged in a sex act, Assistant State's Atty. Jon Neuleib said.

Toyoda was charged with aggravated criminal sexual abuse.

Three sexual encounters occurred between the two from late June to early August at a Northwest Side martial arts academy, prosecutors said.

Toyoda was arrested Sunday, and if convicted could face up to 7 years in prison.
    Robert Cronin

Likes (received)

I am moving this thread to the Members' Lounge for the time being. If the accused is convicted and imprisoned, it can be moved to the Jailhouse Archive in Bad Budo.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Default Aikido

He's an aikido instructor.
    Dr. John H. Riggs
    Aikido of Midland
    Midland, TX

Likes (received)

So this is the "Stephen Toyoda" of AAA, son of Fumio Toyoda. Correct?
    don engle

Likes (received)

~sigh~

So "karate" in on the spotlight again.......
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

So this is the "Stephen Toyoda" of AAA, son of Fumio Toyoda. Correct?
    I don't think it's been verified, but I believe that's correct. It is a bit damning that the AAA web site has no mention or pictures of Stephen Toyoda, even though he is the Executive Director of that organization. Of course, it is all heresay at this point.

See Prince, even when it's another martial art, karate can take the fall for it!
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Samurai Jack Guest

It will be interesting to see what becomes of this. I believe innocent until proven guilty, so no judgments from me until proven guilty. But, this does indicate a problem martial arts suffers from. I think sexual abuse of minors is an issue. It is right up there with the systemic problem the Catholic Church has with sexual abuse of minors. Possibly, it not as frequent or widespread as the Church for example, but it is as notable. That is an area child molesters gravitate t'word. Something parents of minors who enroll their children in martial arts or any such activity should be vigilant of. I say this because on the whole martial arts are a safe activity for kids. So I think parents tend to me more lax because of the perception, just as they where with the Church. Hence, martial arts are attractive place for child molesters.

The relationship of trust that is projected by the image of the instructor and in many traditions to be parent-like, a guardian where the kids look up to and obey is pretty strong in the martial arts, as we know. Parents today have to be more cautious, and less trusting of who they allow their kids to have contact with and how much contact.

For the most part the whole of the martial arts community looks down on those who molest or abuse children. It is something very deplorable, and not tolerated. But never the less, it does happen and is tarnishing the martial arts. Especially, if a noted or famous martial arts person is guilty.

Now I have had experience a number of years ago with Japanese instructors who in the US whose behavior toward late female teenagers by our western standards have been questioned and made people uncomfortable. I have known Central and South American instructors also in similar situations. At that time in Central and South America, it was not taboo and commonly acceptable for adult men 20-40 to court and or marry teenaged girls 13-18. But because these incidences where not acts of molestation rather like flirting, and acts of attention they where over-looked in the incidences I experienced. Since these behaviors are not acceptable here in the US, and because they are not fully actuated, thus bushed-off, I think provides the wrong message. Those who invite such instructors to the US should make them aware of the US taboos and not look the other way from minor infractions. This sends the wrong message.

I say that because I have seen the great influence and power instructors have especially those from countries of origin of the art over students and parents, thus, perpetuating the wrong idea. The unacceptable idea that it is ok for instructors from foreign lands can act outside our moral standards in the martial arts in the US. When such behavior is over-looked the result is the creation of fissures that lead to greater problems in our moral structure of what is acceptable of an martial arts instructor.

Personally, I think martial arts should not be taught to children and teens. I understand the arguments for teaching kids, and all but one argument is considerable In this way, by not teaching the youth, it is a better insurance today against those who seek martial arts instruction as a venue to molest children.

Likes (received)

The article was corrected today to remove the reference to karate.

chicagotribune.com
    Karate instructor accused of sexually abusing student

Tribune staff report

February 20, 2008

This story contains corrected material, published Feb. 27, 2008.

(The description of the profession of a Glenview man charged with sexually abusing a 16-year-old student as published has been corrected in the headline and in subsequent references in this text)

A 26-year-old martial arts instructor was ordered held in lieu of $150,000 bail Tuesday by a Cook County judge after he was charged with sexually abusing a 16-year-old student.

Prosecutors allege that Stephen Toyoda of Glenview sexually abused a girl who was taking his summer martial arts classes. The two were discovered by a witness who saw them engaged in a sex act, Assistant State's Atty. Jon Neuleib said.

Three sexual encounters occurred between the two from late June to early August at a Northwest Side martial arts academy, prosecutors said.

Toyoda was arrested Sunday, and if convicted could face up to 7 years in prison.

Copyright © 2008, Chicago Tribune
    Robert Cronin

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by BC View Post

chicagotribune.com
    Karate instructor accused of sexually abusing student

Tribune staff report

February 20, 2008

This story contains corrected material, published Feb. 27, 2008.

(The description of the profession of a Glenview man charged with sexually abusing a 16-year-old student as published has been corrected in the headline and in subsequent references in this text)

A 26-year-old martial arts instructor was ordered held in lieu of $150,000 bail Tuesday by a Cook County judge after he was charged with sexually abusing a 16-year-old student.

Prosecutors allege that Stephen Toyoda of Glenview sexually abused a girl who was taking his summer martial arts classes. The two were discovered by a witness who saw them engaged in a sex act, Assistant State's Atty. Jon Neuleib said.

Copyright © 2008, Chicago Tribune
    ~sigh of relief ~

Its about time !
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Loeffler View Post
    ~sigh of relief ~

Its about time !
    Best take up ninjutsu Prince. We only get accused of being nutjobs and psycho killers. Plus black is so slimming (unless you are like me then you look like a full stop).

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by BC View Post
    Woo! I'm amazed that they actually read my email
    Steve Malton
    Shorinji Kempo
    Oxford Dojo

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Malton View Post
    Woo! I'm amazed that they actually read my email
    Every little thing helps ! Great Job !
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by william northcote View Post
    Best take up ninjutsu Prince. We only get accused of being nutjobs and psycho killers. Plus black is so slimming (unless you are like me then you look like a full stop).
    hmmmm, Decision ?, decision ?, decision ?....
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Since when did you hearabout a karate guy flipping out due to a spoon being dropped?

Likes (received)

Hey, someone gave Harry Cook a black gi, which he wore when he trained with us in VA. I rather liked his reasoning for it too, which ran as follows: 1. It doesn't show grass stains. 2. It's cheap. 3. I won't care if I wreck it on shrubbery or rocks.
    Trevor Johnson

Low kicks and low puns a specialty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast