Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interpretation

Likes (received)

Default Interpretation

How much range is there for the interpretation of the philosophy of Shorinji Kempo?
    I mean we can for example read about the `Characteristics of Shorinji Kempo` in the Tokuhon, but everyone can interprete them totally different...
    Kaiso is dead and so we cannot ask him, how he meant certain things. Is it important to see it the same way like So Doshin, or is it nessecary to have a certain range of interpretation?
    If this would be the case, it is possible to act on behalf of Shorinji Kempo, but not in the sense of the origin meaning....
    Would you guess that in Japan there is a more uniform `understanding` of those things?
    N. Schweizer

Likes (received)

Wink heirarchy

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    How much range is there for the interpretation of the philosophy of Shorinji Kempo?
    I mean we can for example read about the `Characteristics of Shorinji Kempo` in the Tokuhon, but everyone can interprete them totally different...
    I think that that is a question for your Sensei.
    If he can't answer, ask him to ask his Sensei.
    And so on..............................
    Indar Picton-Howell
    印打
    Abujavol

Likes (received)

Kaiso is dead and so we cannot ask him, how he meant certain things. Is it important to see it the same way like So Doshin, or is it nessecary to have a certain range of interpretation?
    If this would be the case, it is possible to act on behalf of Shorinji Kempo, but not in the sense of the origin meaning....
    Would you guess that in Japan there is a more uniform `understanding` of those things?
    I think there is some range of interpretation, just because every spoken or written word can be understood more or less different from the original meaning. Also I suppose that everyone who tries to explain (a part of) the philosophy uses own examples and ones own "tools" to express ... and thereby the original meaning could be changed. An example could be the fact that by the translation from Japanese to English some things get lost or get another meaning, because (as far as I know) there are no words with the same meaning like in Japanese (or because of the translater ).
    I think that (a bit of) "new" interpretation" is good in principle, because thereby there is a kind of automatic adaption to the present and its circumstances.
    On the other hand, I think that everyone should try to understand/find the original meaning (in relation to the time where it was stated), to prevent that it get lost. ... and because there are documents with the original "words" of So Doshin, everyone has the possibility to do this (in principle).
    sven hebbe

there will be nothing ...

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by sheb View Post
    On the other hand, I think that everyone should try to understand/find the original meaning (in relation to the time where it was stated), to prevent that it get lost. ... and because there are documents with the original "words" of So Doshin, everyone has the possibility to do this (in principle).
    That's why it's important to make the "pilgrimage" to Hombu.
    In Isalm, people who have made the trip to Mecca are given a title.
    Maybe we could have a title for people who have trained at Hombu.
    Of course it would have to be in Japanese....................
    Indar Picton-Howell
    印打
    Abujavol

Likes (received)

... but how original is "it" at hombu? ... has "it" to be original?
    sven hebbe

Likes (received)

But this is in a way the dilemma I mean, probably we have access to texts, speeches or similar things, but if we are not able to put them in a context, what do they mean? I would like to know who `wrote`the basics of the Tokuhon, or similar learning material? So Doshin? I just wondered, because I heard very different versions of some key principles, depending on whether they included own experiences on the street for example. And as far as I know Kaiso wasn`t someone wwo just practised ́nside?...
    N. Schweizer

Likes (received)

How much range is there for the interpretation of the
    Nina,

IMHO, there is as much scope to interpret the philosophy of Shorinji Kempo as there is to interpret its physical techniques.

I know this answer is a bit cryptic but the reality is that theanswer to your question will depend on which master you ask.

Cheers,
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

Why don't you start by deciding on something that you would like to change, and changing it ?

No-one can change everything. So focus, (or apply zanshin), on what you would like to change.

In my own case, I am interested in Africa. So, for example, I buy fair-trade food, but I also try to understand the issues involved, and to see whether this makes a difference.

I would guess that one issue that might concern everyone is climate change. Another issue might be womens rights.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "interpreting" philosophy. Do you know the difference between right and wrong ?
    Indar Picton-Howell
    印打
    Abujavol

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Indar View Post
    I would guess that one issue that might concern everyone is climate change.
    http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...009#post460009

synchronicity ?
    Indar Picton-Howell
    印打
    Abujavol

Likes (received)

Another issue might be womens rights.
    http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0080224x1.html

and more synchronicity !
    Indar Picton-Howell
    印打
    Abujavol

Likes (received)

That might be more aptly titled: "Mum promotes climate change through fear of nuclear energy." And IMO taxing what remains of our industry in the name of Climate Change in order to speed its emigration to China is not a good idea.

Promoting, and investing in, companies like Nanosolar is probably the best method (at least for me).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanosolar

[BTW, $1/W is the "magic" number at which solar electricity becomes cheaper than coal]

Dirk

Likes (received)

Wink zen ith

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gassin View Post
    IMHO, there is as much scope to interpret the philosophy of Shorinji Kempo as there is to interpret its physical techniques.
    A story that we were told in one howa session by a SK master;

A monk had a question that was troubling him, so he went to see the chief abbot. "Master", he asked, "is it true that dogs have souls?".
    "Yes it is", answered the abbot.

Another monk also had a question that was troubling him, and went to see the chief abbot in the same monastery.
    "Master", he asked, "is it true that dogs don't have souls"?
    "Yes, it is" replied the abbot.

I'm not sure what the moral of the story is:
    "The truth is relative" ?
    "rely on yourself" ?

or, maybe, "don't waste time on pointless questions" ?
    Indar Picton-Howell
    印打
    Abujavol

Likes (received)

I don't think that a question can be pointless - not more than the answer.
    sven hebbe

Likes (received)

A story that we were told in one howa session by a SK master;

A monk had a question that was troubling him, so he went to see the chief abbot. "Master", he asked, "is it true that dogs have souls?".
    "Yes it is", answered the abbot.

Another monk also had a question that was troubling him, and went to see the chief abbot in the same monastery.
    "Master", he asked, "is it true that dogs don't have souls"?
    "Yes, it is" replied the abbot.

I'm not sure what the moral of the story is:
    "The truth is relative" ?
    "rely on yourself" ?

or, maybe, "don't waste time on pointless questions" ?
    It may be that dogs have soles but not souls ... or is it the other way around???
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gassin View Post
    It may be that dogs have soles but not souls ... or is it the other way around???
    It depends on the dog. Likewise with humans.
    Indar Picton-Howell
    印打
    Abujavol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast