Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Real" shuko...i have my doubts

Likes (received)

Default "Real" shuko...i have my doubts

what do you guys think, the design looks a bit off to me. http://cgi.ebay.com/REAL-old-Ninja-s...QQcmdZViewItem
    Dean Eichler der Zweite
    Bujinkan Keiko Dojo
    Owner www.korisuya.com Ninjutsu tools

Likes (received)

http://www.yarinohanzo.com/product_i...roducts_id=387 they look amazingly similar maybe someone let their pair rust
    Dean Eichler der Zweite
    Bujinkan Keiko Dojo

Karyu Guest

Old rust is very dark in color. These look like they were just left outside for a week.

Likes (received)

They do look a bit different though. The pair on eBay have a different rivet pattern than the ones on that Yari no Hanzo website. I'm not saying they are authentic, but they are different.
    Eric Bell

Genbukan Ninpo

Likes (received)

Once you move out of the Taiwanese range with nylon webbing into the forge-made versions with iron rings they start to look very similar.

The only differences between these 'good' shuko is that sometimes the connecting band between the claws and wrist ring is leather and sometime it is iron, so there are flexible and rigid versions of shuko.

I doubt if these are that old, being from a specific ryuha with very few previous generation exponents prior to today's X-kans, but they do look authentic in desgn, if not in age.

My advice would be to buy some that look the same as these, but that don't pretend to be antique, and you will save yourself a fortune.

In general you will not find many genuine antique examples of the more obscure of Japanese weapons, especially those from a specific ryuha, but generic weapons such as kusarigama and kabutowari, sodegarami etc do pop up from time to time.
    Adam C R Hurley -
    I know nothing - Manuel, Fawlty Towers.

Likes (received)

actually the rivet pattern looks more like they're dan bowleys
    Dean Eichler der Zweite
    Bujinkan Keiko Dojo

Likes (received)

Those Shuko are not made by me, and I don't think they are so old. I could reproduce the same rust effect in not more than one week.

Francesco
    Italy
    www.yarinohanzo.com

Likes (received)

Cool

ElfTengu said:

I doubt if these are that old, being from a specific ryuha with very few previous generation exponents prior to today's X-kans, but they do look authentic in desgn, if not in age.

My advice would be to buy some that look the same as these, but that don't pretend to be antique, and you will save yourself a fortune.

I have to definitly agree here. It says on this e bay item that it looks more than fifty years old. I really don t think that the level of corrosion is that old but let us suppose they were conserved for a long time well oiled and all, still I would check the welding system used, in my opinion it is electric welding as also the majority of the rust is on the joints of the actual claws.The rivets look like they have been properly hot hammered but again, it is not very clear.
    While I am no engineer or antiques enthusiast, if you are looking for something to actually train with or just to collect the weapons used in the ryu-ha , I would choose to follow Elf Tengu's suggestion.

For what it s worth, my opinion.
    Robert Spiteri
    Genbukan Enshin Dojo

Likes (received)

Default shuko

Who makes the shuko in the above pic??
    Remember...your focus determines your reality.

Jason Pearson

Likes (received)

dan bowley
    Dean Eichler der Zweite
    Bujinkan Keiko Dojo

Likes (received)

Default shuko

Could someone put me in contact with Mr. Bowley?
    Remember...your focus determines your reality.

Jason Pearson

Likes (received)

If those (the e-bay shuko) were 50 years old it is difficult to imagine the conditions they were stored in. They have rust yet the leather is not particularly cracked, shrunken, or rotted.
    David F. Craik

Likes (received)

still I would check the welding system used, in my opinion it is electric welding

I saw the same this as well!? But in the end they could be a good pair of shuko for training purpose but maybe not for that price.