Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever train wih "normal clothes", shoes, etc?

Likes (received)

Default Do you ever train wih "normal clothes", shoes, etc?

If you have, what did you notice? Does it make any difference to any specific techniques? Did it change the way you were thinking about the training? Is it a useful exercise for "once in a while", or an unecessary drift from standard Shorinji Kempo training?
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripitaka of AA View Post
    If you have, what did you notice? Does it make any difference to any specific techniques? Did it change the way you were thinking about the training? Is it a useful exercise for "once in a while", or an unecessary drift from standard Shorinji Kempo training?
    David

An interesting question. I have never "trained" (as in done a SK "workout or training session") in street clothes. Like most of you I suspect, I have practiced some Sk while wearing street clothes (my wife and son also do SK.) It is not unusual for my wife and I do do some light "juho" after one of us comes home from practice (while the other baby-sat). With my son, it is quite common for him to launch full scale attacks (think of Keto from the Pink panther - LOL) .

I think that it is fair to compare it so swimming with your clothes on. Many people have their kids take swimming lessons so that if the fall in the water they won't drown, as many people take SK for self defense. Well if you fall in the water, you will probably have clothes on, and not those ooh so sexy speedos favoured by European men (just a joke ). If you are in a self defense situation you will probably be in street clothes (or perhaps in a speedo running from an enraged husband).

I think that being in those situations gives you an idea of what is more realistic in an "emergency situation", but beyond that I think unless you are going to train and swim regularly in clothing, I do not see much "purpose" beyond getting a feel for the "limitations imposed by clothing.

I think also, then you move beyond swimming lessons (most people swim for fun eventually) and SK (most people, I suspect are not into SK in the long run for self defense- I think SK encompasses much more than that) into drown proofing/rescue type skills, and "street skills, which aree a whole new puppy.

In street clothes, I think the biggest difference is footwear, and lost of mobilty due to clothing.
    Peter

Likes (received)

I think that it can be a good lesson, as well as if you train under other more realistic circumstances.
    In the summer holidays we sometimes meet in the park, in order to have some training when the dojo is closed, but there you normally wear sporty clothes, but we also trained with shoes. I don`t have really fun to do so, because it feels like incomplete training for me...
    N. Schweizer

Likes (received)

I remember when I started to train in Shorinji Kempo, without dogi, it was a bad feeling... If I would forget my dogi, I am not sure whether I would not better watch training instead of actively taking part. When training for instance outside without dogi, there is another training attitude, at least in my eyes, not so much seriousness...

Likes (received)

For me it is much more fun to train with dogi, at least in dojo. I feel more concentrated and motivated. ... What about people who don't want to wear a dogi? Is it ok or should they be asked to wear one.
    sven hebbe

there will be nothing ...

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by sheb View Post
    For me it is much more fun to train with dogi, at least in dojo. I feel more concentrated and motivated. ... What about people who don't want to wear a dogi? Is it ok or should they be asked to wear one.
    If you want to train SK you need a dogi, if you don`t want to wear it,stay at home! I wonder how one can train without it and have fun, I just feel naked without that.
    N. Schweizer

Likes (received)

No. Feels weird.
    JC McCrae

Likes (received)

Lets 'fess up here before someone does it for me....

I, err, once forgot my dogi bottoms, so had on my jeans to take the class!

Very weird indeed.
    Sean Dixie

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by jailess View Post
    No. Feels weird.
    It certainly does and the problem I have is that I rely on my Ozaki dogi to make that snap sound to know if I am doing it correctly. If I practice with a t-shirt, it throws me off at first.
    Raul Rodriguez
    Shorinji Kempo New York City Branch

http://www.ShorinjiKempoNYC.org

Likes (received)

I have to say on the couple of occasions when I've forgotten my gi, I swear training has hurt more.
    That heavy duty canvas does give a certain amount of protection against hard blocks etc.
    Regards Tracey
    Tracey Fuller
    Bournemouth, Shorinji Kempo

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by tracey fuller View Post
    I have to say on the couple of occasions when I've forgotten my gi, I swear training has hurt more.
    That heavy duty canvas does give a certain amount of protection against hard blocks etc
    Quote Originally Posted by luar View Post
    It certainly does and the problem I have is that I rely on my Ozaki dogi to make that snap sound to know if I am doing it correctly. If I practice with a t-shirt, it throws me off at first.
    Quote Originally Posted by jailess View Post
    No. Feels weird.
    Using the swimming with your clothes on analogy, it certainly looks like training without your dogi could be worth it

(Tracey! You'll bring the ghost of Kimpatsu with that kind of talk!)
    Leon Appleby (Tokyo Ouji)
    半ばは自己の幸せを、半ばは他人の幸せを
    SK Blog at http://www.leonjp.com

Likes (received)

Exclamation Kimpatsu was right

It is dogi, not gi
    Kari Maki-Kuutti

www.shorinjikempo.fi

Likes (received)

We recently trained in Hyde Park (London), after our usual venue was cancelled at zero notice. This was in February, so although the weather was unseasonably warm, it was still definitely a shoes-on sort of day. Training in garb resembling ordinary clothes is, as a one-off exercise at least, very interesting. For one thing, kicking becomes even less practical as a self-defence measure. And there's a world of difference training on lumpy ground compared with a smooth wooden floor. The danger of only training in pristine environments and with dogi rather than own clothes is you get used to a particular set of boundaries, and then in the street you might end up taking these things for granted too much. Smooth footwork in the dojo becomes stumbling on grass. Sharp kicks become laboured under the weight of clod-hopping boots...

Having said all this, I'm not sure I'd set out to hold an "own clothes" session intentionally...
    John Ryan
    Shorinji Kempo
    Imperial Dojo

Likes (received)

Question Do you buy jeans that you can kick in?

Gassho

How many kenshi have bought jeans or similar then raised your knee high to check if you can kick in them?

A few eons ago, at our dojo there use to be an informal drop-in practice on Saturday mornings, where you could get some extra work in. I often trained in shorts and a T-shirt or Gi bottoms and T-shirt etc. At first it was weird but you got use to it and you become very aware of what you limbs were doing, I think in made me aware of my body coordination and helped improve my form.

Kesshu
    Mike Smith

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Smith View Post
    How many kenshi have bought jeans or similar then raised your knee high to check if you can kick in them?
    Somehow I am not too worried about my kicks if my opponent wore these kind of jeans

Attachment 10374
    Raul Rodriguez
    Shorinji Kempo New York City Branch

http://www.ShorinjiKempoNYC.org

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast