Likes Likes:  0

Thread: origins and use of seiho

Likes (received)

Default origins and use of seiho

Gassho
    I am interested in the origins of seiho. From where did So Doshin learn the techniques of seiho?
    Is `seiho` Shorinji Kempo specific and does there exist similar techniques in other MAs?
    N. Schweizer

Likes (received)

Also another “sub” category to the above question is, how much “Seiho”is taught in SK clubs outside of or within Japan.

I noted that it is not taught in my SK club at all, unless they did and I am not aware.

Is there an actual curriculum for ‘Seiho’?

Nina, hopefully I have not hijack your discussion thread

Likes (received)

In response to Nina, yes, other MAs also have healing systems, especially some kung-fu styles. Hapkido has reviving techniques very similar to those used in SK and also has some acupressure techniques.

In response to Eric. We recently (January I think) had a very good Seiho session in Melbourne, taken by Nick sensei. We do it very rarely. Next time I take the class (next wednesday), I'll do some at the end of the session (please remind me - I'll use you as the guinea pig ).

There is no curriculum for seiho and I am not even sure that the techniques are standardised, which makes teaching difficult. There is a lot of overlap between SK seiho, massage, osteopathy, chiropractic etc and I am not sure whether the techniques I have been taught as seiho are actually SK seiho or whether they derive from another healing system.

Cheers,
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gassin View Post
    There is no curriculum for seiho and I am not even sure that the techniques are standardised, which makes teaching difficult. There is a lot of overlap between SK seiho, massage, osteopathy, chiropractic etc and I am not sure whether the techniques I have been taught as seiho are actually SK seiho or whether they derive from another healing system.
    Apart from the question, in how far the teaching of non Shorinji Kempo "seiho" in relation with Shorinji Kempo is useful/good, is it in my opinion not good to have no curriculum and (perhaps) no standard. It is always said, that seiho is a part of Shorinji Kempo and more or less everything is defined by WSKO (as far as I know), but apparently not regarding seiho - why? And isn't there also the danger that things are teached, taken from other sources/healing arts, which are in the end more or less dangerous (for example because of no real knowledge/practise by the teacher and/or no curriculum of Shorinji Kempo seiho)?
    sven hebbe

there will be nothing ...

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by sheb View Post
    It is always said, that seiho is a part of Shorinji Kempo and more or less everything is defined by WSKO (as far as I know), but apparently not regarding seiho - why?
    I am not sure, but I think that I heard, that WSKO don`t want to be responsible if something happens?
    N. Schweizer

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by eric.aust
    Also another “sub” category to the above question is, how much “Seiho”is taught in SK clubs outside of or within Japan.
    At our dojo, we do it maybe once a month...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gassin
    There is no curriculum for seiho and I am not even sure that the techniques are standardised, which makes teaching difficult
    Aren`t there any notes by Kaiso, or isn`t it just given away?
    N. Schweizer

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    I am not sure, but I think that I heard, that WSKO don`t want to be responsible if something happens?
    This is what I also heard. But on the other hand Shorinji Kempo could also get a negative image, if someone is teaching something false (why ever) and because of that someone gets hurt. So in my opinion it would be much better to have a approved curriculum and also exams for seiho (while the gradings) to secure a certain quality.
    sven hebbe

there will be nothing ...

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    Gassho
    I am interested in the origins of seiho. From where did So Doshin learn the techniques of seiho?
    Is `seiho` Shorinji Kempo specific and does there exist similar techniques in other MAs?

Nina,

You may want to contact this poster to see what he knows about seiho-type systems in Japanese MAs.

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39597

Cheers,
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

Thanks for the link, Rob.
    N. Schweizer