Likes Likes:  0

Thread: entry requirements for koryu?

Likes (received)

Default entry requirements for koryu?

Hi

I'm just a little curious about koryu, having only recently (in the last half-hour) realised the difference between gendai budo and koryu budo.

From what I father from Dave Lowry's articles, the classes are a lot smaller, they're definitely harder to find and there seems to be a very strong 'traditional' japanese element to it.

I was wondering, how do you go about finding a koryu dojo, and what do people normally have to do to join? Is there an entrance test?

Cheers

Chris
    Chris Kiew

Likes (received)

Here are some helpful links:

Koryu.com - Thinking about training in the koryu?

An earlier thread.

It really depends on the dojo, though. Some have a web presence, others are essentially private dojo wherein you have to know somebody to join. In my case, I found the webpage, sent an email and asked if I could observe keiko, observed keiko, filled out the necessary forms, and started to attend.
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, žonne he ęt guše gengan ženceš longsumne lof, na ymb his lif cearaš. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

Toby Threadgill's playfully pointed thoughts on the matter -- Classical Budo and the Student Mindset -- might be worth keeping in mind:
    http://www.aikidojournal.com/?id=234
    Doug Walker
    Completely cut off both heads,
    Let a single sword stand against the cold sky!

Likes (received)

Excellent links all of them. I can't add anything of value, other than to suggest a way to perhaps reduce all of that wisdom and experience into something you can remember for your first (and subsequent) dojo visit(s):

Watch, listen and be polite!

b

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by avkenshi View Post
    ...the difference between gendai budo and koryu budo.

From what I father [sic] from Dave Lowry's articles, the classes are a lot smaller, they're definitely harder to find and there seems to be a very strong 'traditional' japanese element to it. ...
    I would point out that there are some gendai ryu that meet the above criteria as well.

In some cases, there is little if any difference. (Not to mention no clear agreement, in some cases, of whether an art is gendai or koryu.)

Take, for example, Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu. It's koryu, but has a relatively large, international, student base.

Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido is often classed as gendai, but others see it as a reorganized koryu, and it shares many similarities to MJER (including most of its lineage).

So, as with most things in the Japanese martial arts, everything really depends on what art you're talking about, and must be taken on a case by case basis.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

I would suggest reading everything at koryu.com and then delving in the available books in English (unless you can read Japanese well), including those by Skoss, Amdur, Lowry, Friday, Draeger for starters. Best to do this before considering starting to look for a ryu or teacher.

To do this well you will also want to start an intensive study of Japanese language and culture if you haven't done so already. This will help you in the study of a gendai art as well. The suggested reading list will help with the gendai studies as well because it will provide you with a deeper understanding of budo historically.

Best,
    Al Heinemann
    www.shofukan.ca