Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How much training?

Likes (received)

Default How much training?

How much do you guys (and gals) train in your martial art per week? The reason I ask is that I finish work for the summer soon, so I'll be free to train up to 4 times a week if I wanted to. However, should I leave a day off in between each karate session to recover? I don't want to hurt myself since the body conditioning is pretty intense sometimes (well, at least for me...) Also, I'm currently training in karate, but I'd also like to try BJJ. The BJJ class is 3 times a week and comes after the karate class. I want to train more to improve my karate (since with work, I'm lucky if I can get in 2 karate classes a week) but I also don't want to overdue it either... Anyways, I'm looking forward for your advice.
    Nancy Ladouceur

Likes (received)

Doing BJJ in addition to karate shouldn't be a problem - they work the body in very different ways and require different types of fitness, strength and flexibility. So I would say doing both, even straight after one another, should be fine if you're young and keen.

However, while you won't be getting smacked around in BJJ (I think it's actually a lot safer than many other arts), do not underestimate how tough the workouts can be. Until you get into it, you'll be physically drained after a session of rolling.

On the karate side, I'm not sure what your body conditioning is, but if involves impact that leaves bruises, it wouldn't be a good idea to be hitting the same spot over and over on consecutive days - but hopefully the classes would be varied enough for that not to be a problem.

Try it and see is my only real advice. And listen to your body - only you know how much you can take. Crucially, make sure you rest well if you pick up injuries. That goes for both arts. And tap early if you're doing BJJ!

I'm just getting back into BJJ after a year off, and my schedule is currently 2 hours of BJJ, twice a week and 1 1/2 hours of Judo once a week. As my fitness recovers, I'll probably add another session to that. I usually train on three consecutive days, and that's been fine so far. Apart from that, I do 10-30 minutes of yoga a day, and go swimming maybe once a fortnight. That's enough for my aging bones.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

Hiya Mike..Good to see all is well with yourself still mate...

I would agree with what Mike said about listening to what your own body says about overtraining..What other people do means nothing except as a very general guide..I would say that leaving a days space between training would be good idea though, and as Mike said, more rest needed when training involves damage to your body (Punching, bruising etc)..

I train currently 5 times per week, three at the Dojo and two/three at the gym, and leave a day between them more or less, except on the weekends..It works me well enough..Saturday training is all day and I usually wake up feeling half dead on Sunday, but since I have the time I like to train then too..It works okay for me, but (basically) any schedule that your body can get used to will be okay in time, if it doesn't you'll know it.

Regards.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Since the classes are 4 times a week, I'll probably start with 3 times just to see how that goes. Since, BJJ follows karate class on the 3 days I'm thinking of, it'll be perfect. Hopefully, Thursdays I'm not dying from the previous days workout!
    Nancy Ladouceur

Likes (received)

I train about 5 times a week, but with martial arts of varying intensity. It's pretty tough at first but your body adapts pretty quick. Keep training if you are sore, but don't train if it hurts!
    -John Nguyen

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nii View Post
    Keep training if you are sore, but don't train if it hurts!

That's what I'm afraid of, that I'll overtrain. Start slow and then increase is what I'm planning to do.
    Nancy Ladouceur