Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is your most memorable moment in training?

Likes (received)

Default What is your most memorable moment in training?

Having been involved in the martial arts for a few decades since I was 10. I have been privy to many positive memories both in and out of the dojo with practitioners and Masters that I have encountered and trained with. I would like to share one with the members of one that occured to me while training this past weekend and would love to hear of those memories that have impacted other members as well. Here goes:

This past weekend I was in Laredo, Texas attending a Seminar with Hiroshi Kato,Shihan. I was tested by Kato Sensei last November and granted the rank of Shodan. I was given the choice of recieving my Certificate in the mail or wait till Kato Sensei returned to the states this month. Well guess which one I opted for, duh. I attended the seminar with my Judo Sensei and so as usual my Judo Sensei and I put on our white belts prior to any seminar training I don't host. While I was on the mat streching prior to the Seminar starting I was approched by Kato Sensei and was asked by his interpretor Sakahara where my Hakama was. I replied that I did not feel it proper to wear my Hakama prior to recieving my certificate. Kato Sensei replied to me that if I had it to go put it on, that I was Instructor now. This affirmed his trust in me to pass on the art in the spirit of Aikido as intended. I put my hakama on but left my blackbelt in the bag and wore my white belt under the Hakama instead and proceeded to have a blast for 2 days of training and sharing.
    This may seem trivial to some, but believe it or not I found this more memorable than actually recieving the Certificate. I will never forget the look of conviction in his eyes when he said those words to me. All self doubt, apprehenshions regarding my skill level, etc, left me that moment. Have a few Black Belts before this but there was something distinctly different for this 50 year old practitioner when those words pierced my soul.

Lets hear some of your experiences!
    Rick Torres, Dojo Cho
    Integrity Defensive Arts
    Victoria, Texas
    www.ksrjujitsu.com
    [/B]

Likes (received)

Default Congrats!

Congratulations on receiving your Shodan from Kato Sensei!

I've seen him in a few short clips floating around on Youtube - all I can say is I would love to train with him if the opportunity arose

Once again, Rick, Congrats on the promotion and looking forward to seeing you in Houston in May (hopefully).

Jim Yang

Likes (received)

Thank you Jim. Long time no see. Hope all is well for you. Looking to hook up in may for DR training. Hey Jim, share one of your memorable experiences.
    Rick Torres, Dojo Cho
    Integrity Defensive Arts
    Victoria, Texas
    www.ksrjujitsu.com
    [/B]

Likes (received)

Doing about the same as usual, thanks for asking

Honestly, my time in the arts has been far too short and sporadic to have any significant moments. I have been fortunate enough to meet some wonderful people in my time though, for which I'm very grateful.

Jim Yang

Likes (received)

Being tested for shodan by Moriteru Ueshiba at Okinawa Aikikai.
    Ricky Wood

Likes (received)

There was also that time on Tokashiki island for our summer gashuku. We were stretching out and warming up in the dojo, when sensei took off out the door running. He said something in Japanese that I didn't understand but I watched as people began to run after him. So did I. We ran, and ran, and ran. I thought he would never stop. He finally did stop. I was exhausted. Later that night, we all spread out on a large tatami area to sleep. Everyone was quite surprised at my snorning abilities. They were all very tolerant though.
    Ricky Wood

Likes (received)

Meeting and training with Francis Takahashi Sensei on Mt Baldy, with my son was pretty cool too.
    Ricky Wood

Likes (received)

It is always a joy to meet up with someone considered one of your heros or deeply respected Martial artists and get to train with them. That is how I felt when I had the first opportunity to train with people such as Okamoto Sensei or Kato Shihan. The first time I trained with Kato Sensei my youngest son Daniel (15 at thae time) was also in attendance. I think Kato Sensei found it amusing to watch my son throw me or pin me, as he made various comical statements about it during our training.
    Rick Torres, Dojo Cho
    Integrity Defensive Arts
    Victoria, Texas
    www.ksrjujitsu.com
    [/B]

Likes (received)

Whew. I thought I had killed the thread for a moment there.
    Ricky Wood

Likes (received)

My first moment was during Judo randori. The instructor had taught us - many times - to just put your hand on the floor to do makikomi. Well, I was struggling as usual to throw my partner and I just thought - "Hell - I'll put my hand on the floor." I did and turned around to berate my partner for letting go of me mid-technique, but he wasn't there. He was in front of my with a beaming smile and said, "How the hell did you do that?" Of course, I had no idea. To this day, whatever the art, I have noticed that the best techniques always generate a smile from your opponent.

Likes (received)

I have had many moments training that really just stand out for many reasons, such as a particularly exceptional instructor, a perfectly timed movement where both myself and my training partner were only just able to contain ourselves from laughing for long enough to maintain self control and rei, but as this is in the aikido section, I thought i would share an aikido moment with you.

I once trained in ki aikido under a man called Ken Hewson, I was no novice to the martial arts at the time, but i was young and full of ego. Anyway, After about 6 months worth of training i was convinced that his students were trained to have what I called uke-syndrome, where by they would jump, dive and roll on request to make their instructor look good. Well, because of what can only be my ego I was vocal about this. Ken decided to use me as his uke and I don't jump for anyone! Well all he did was a really well timed kazumi and a well paced irimi nage and I was flying with the best of them. Funny thing was, he didn't even touch me! For a 16 year old lad with a big mouth this was an eye opener and a mouth shutter. Probably the best lesson I learned and he didn't say a word or physically touch me.

Thanks for reading,

Lawrence Fisher.

Likes (received)

Default Ken Hewson

Ken Hewson was a personal friend of mine for many years and it is likely that you also trained at my Dojo in the Midlands as Ken visited often as we with him.

I first met Ken when as a brown belt he gave a demonstration at the World Federation of Martial Arts event in the Midlands UK. I was amazed at his skill and understanding of moving Ki and I knew immediately this was someone with a natural understanding of what we had been trying to perfect for years.

Ken was a great friend and a true master and is greatly missed by all that knew and trained with him.

John Tremelling 3rd dan jujitsu and novice.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    To this day, whatever the art, I have noticed that the best techniques always generate a smile from your opponent.
    How true that is! My most memorable moment not only made me smile, but laugh gleefully. We were doing some Aikido technique and while holding my wrist, he momentarily lost his grip. I took the opportunity to GENLTY and SLOWLY put him in a headlock just as a way of exploring my options. The next thing I knew, I had spun 360 degrees and landed right-side-up again on my knees. However, what made me smile was how incredibly soft and gentle it was. I never felt him push or pull me at all. It was the most perfect Aikido I've ever encountered.

Jeff Stallard

Likes (received)

Talking

Hi Rick,

Maybe not the most memorable moment but one along the lines of yours, was this past Oct. Kondo sensei (Daito-ryu) was teaching a seminar in Richmond. On the 2nd day I had left my black belt in my hotel room (drying out from the evening before's training) and it was too far to go back. I threw on a white belt a friend had. As I was leaving the dressing room sensei was there and saw me. He grabbed the end of my belt and said, "What is this?" I told him I forgot black belt at the hotel. He laughed and said I was demoted for the day.
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kendoguy9 View Post
    Hi Rick,

Maybe not the most memorable moment but one along the lines of yours, was this past Oct. Kondo sensei (Daito-ryu) was teaching a seminar in Richmond. On the 2nd day I had left my black belt in my hotel room (drying out from the evening before's training) and it was too far to go back. I threw on a white belt a friend had. As I was leaving the dressing room sensei was there and saw me. He grabbed the end of my belt and said, "What is this?" I told him I forgot black belt at the hotel. He laughed and said I was demoted for the day.
    Just for one day?!?!?!?lol. Thats preety funny. I hope others will post up some of their memorable or even funny experiences.
    Rick Torres, Dojo Cho
    Integrity Defensive Arts
    Victoria, Texas
    www.ksrjujitsu.com
    [/B]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast