Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Devotion/Dedication to training

Likes (received)

Default Devotion/Dedication to training

How do you convey the seriousness of your dedication or devotion to your art and to your training? I find there are next to no legitimate things to compare the training and significance of training to. It is not a hobby, it is not a sport so what exactly is it? Any thoughts?
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

Knowing your level, Morpheus....I'd say it's more like a case of obsessive compulsive disorder.

Couldn't resist

Seriously...it's a good question.

It's a way....a never-ending journey of discovery about ourselves and our limitations. And along that journey, we learn how to defend ourselves.

My thoughts,

Jim
    Last edited by Shodog; 24th April 2008 at 22:41.
    Jim Mahanes

Likes (received)

Morpheus,

What a great question. I often contemplate this myself. My wife tells me it's an addiction; she also believes I would pick my training over her if it came down to it. I try not to think about it.

I usually tell people that ask me that I have two lives. One as a corporate employee trying to do well at work and provide for a family and one as a warrior training for a fight that may never come. I do both at 100%. My training is as important to me as my career; once I say that, most people appreciate the depth of my dedication. If conversations continue, I usually relate the common anecdotes about becoming a better person, being part of a culture and period in history that no longer exist, and of course, physical fitness. The reality (which many on e-budo will understand) is that it's in my blood/DNA/head. I was born to do it and there has never been a time in my life that I didn't absolutely need to do it. So my wife is right, it is my drug.

Regards,

Andrew De Luna

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    How do you convey the seriousness of your dedication or devotion to your art and to your training? I find there are next to no legitimate things to compare the training and significance of training to. It is not a hobby, it is not a sport so what exactly is it? Any thoughts?
    I could've sworn you were talking about World of Warcraft for a second there.

I do it because its fun and has potentional to last a long time. Guess I'm looking it a little too simply
    -John Nguyen

Likes (received)

Shodog, as you know my wife will attest to that!

Andrew, I understand where you coming from. It is so much more than just something I do, it has become what I am.....trying to avoid as many cliches as possible.

My wife is pretty sure I am completely obsessed with my training and has a hard time seeing the difference between obsession and self discipline

John, everyone has there own reasons for training. Mine are no more valid than yours.....but i am concerned about your excessive gaming
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

Well, I talked my wife into buying a 930 sq ft house because the property has a potential dojo on it.
    Ricky Wood

Likes (received)

That is impressive!!!!
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

Well, I'm a bit of a grump if I don't have a place to train.
    Ricky Wood