Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Aikido and Children

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Likes (received)

Default Aikido and Children

Bah... where are all the posts?!! lol

Please forgive me for asking this as I'm sure it's been asked tons of times before... but I'm at the library right now and they time how much time you are allowed on the 'net.

At what age do you think it's appropriate to introduce young children to Aikido? For instance, I have a son... and while he's not anywhere near an age where he's able to train (ie, he's only 5 weeks old), I would eventually like him to train in Aikido.

Thanks in advance!!
    Sita.
    Sita Nanthavong
    "Emptiness of the mind will lead to many great things" -Sita.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by avehnor View Post
    Bah... where are all the posts?!! lol

Please forgive me for asking this as I'm sure it's been asked tons of times before... but I'm at the library right now and they time how much time you are allowed on the 'net.

At what age do you think it's appropriate to introduce young children to Aikido? For instance, I have a son... and while he's not anywhere near an age where he's able to train (ie, he's only 5 weeks old), I would eventually like him to train in Aikido.

Thanks in advance!!
    Sita.
    While in the home, any age is appropriate. I'm assuming you are currently training, so why not teach him what you learn at home. If he's interested he will ask to go to the dojo. If he doesn't, just think of the valuable bonding time that was spent. Personally, I have conscripted two of my children into service as resident uke's.
    One must train.
    Ricky Wood

Likes (received)

I was thinking about the various martial arts that I'd want my (possible) child to learn, and concluded that judo is the way to go.
    -John Nguyen

Likes (received)

I have wondered the same things about my two year old, for I would like to see her train in something if she enjoys it. Aikido would be my preference, at least to start out, and if she decides something else suites her better then so be it.
    I agree with the bonding/teaching at home once they are moving about and walking. Basic rolls, falling and footwork can be shown at home. If nothing else it might make falling on the playground less painfull. Some dojos around my area that teach children start taking at 6 years old, with a disclaimer of maturity and understanding level. 6-7 years sounds like a good time to me though, because they have started school and been exposed to the concept of listening, paying attention and following instruction from school at that point.

Mark Murray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gyan G. View Post
    I have wondered the same things about my two year old, for I would like to see her train in something if she enjoys it. Aikido would be my preference, at least to start out, and if she decides something else suites her better then so be it.
    I agree with the bonding/teaching at home once they are moving about and walking. Basic rolls, falling and footwork can be shown at home. If nothing else it might make falling on the playground less painfull. Some dojos around my area that teach children start taking at 6 years old, with a disclaimer of maturity and understanding level. 6-7 years sounds like a good time to me though, because they have started school and been exposed to the concept of listening, paying attention and following instruction from school at that point.
    Please post your full name in each post. It's a rule here on E-Budo. You can edit your signature to have this done automatically. Just go to the "User CP" link.

Thanks,
    Mark

Likes (received)

Aikido of Northern Virginia does not teach children under the age of 14.

I do not believe aikido is appropriate for young children, for two reasons. First, aikido techniques, even applied gently, put stress on the joints. As many former gymnasts and ballet dancers can testify, too much stress on the joints at an early age leads to trouble later on in life. Second, aikido is a complex art. Even disciplined, motivated adults find it quite challenging to learn. In my experience, children do not yet have the ability or the motivation to concentrate at the level necessary to gain anything from the average one-hour aikido class.

Then there is the question of teaching martial arts to children. Study of the martial arts, like study of any other art or discipline, can produce wonderful effects on the student's character. But I believe that teaching young children martial arts is like teaching them to drive: it puts them in possession of power before they are mature enough to use it responsibly.

Rather than martial arts, I suggest that parents introduce their children to disciplined physical activity through more conventional sports and arts (such as ballet, soccer or tumbling), in which there is a well-established tradition of teaching children. If the child continues to show interest in the martial arts, I would hold that out as a future reward for good behavior and a helpful attitude around the house, as well as good behavior with other children and adults --- in short, the child should earn the right to train in the arts.

I hope this is helpful.

Jim Sorrentino