Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: WSKO Heritage

Likes (received)

Default WSKO Heritage

In the 'Group Names' thread, Jan brought up the topic of the Heritage of SK in Europe.

In Melbourne, the 2 first instructors Okano Sensei and Mihara Seisei were both students of Matsua Sensei of Yamanote Doin in Tokyo. The third instructor, Nick Sanders Sensei was a student of Peter Monk Sensei in NZ and then Mizuno Sensei in the UK. The current Branch Master Mike Moore Sensei is home grown, having been a student of Mihara Sensei and Nick Sanders Sensei.

What is the heritage of your Branch/Federation?

What is the SK heritage of your Branch Master?
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

Well, I´m from Portugal, and the Portuguese lineage as many japanese instructors, it started in the 70´s(TAKIARA,TANINO,USAWA,MATSUNAGA,KOMBAYASHI and MORITA), until the moment there were a good group of Shodan´s who had the capacity to teach Shorinji Kempo in Portugal. From the group, only a 18 year old, named Carlos Ramirez, did in fact continued to teach Shorinji Kempo. So all of today´s lineage comes directly from that sensei.

Likes (received)

Default Portuguese lineage

Gassho!

Funny, I thought I heard that Portugal went through Aosaka-sensei as well (like France, Italy and Switzerland). Good thing we have these threads so I can learn.
    Re. where we left off in the "Group names" thread: I had named Sweden among the 'original' European Shorinjikempo countries, not sure if that came across. But if I understand Anders-sensei correctly Finland and Norway both have their own roots independent of Sweden – I didn't know that either. Anyone here know how Shorinjikempo reached the Netherlands?
    In summary it would seem that an astonishing number of Shorinjikempo Senseis from Japan came to different European countries during a rather short period (roughly the decade before Kaiso's death), with the addition of Wunderle-sensei, who had studied SK in Japan but isn't Japanese, obviously. Anyone know why?

Kesshu,
    ______ Jan.
    Jan Lipsius
    少林寺拳法
    Shorinjikempo
    Humboldt University Berlin Branch

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Gandhi

Likes (received)

Default Wunderle-sensei

Gassho!

Answering the question in the opening post, Wunderle-sensei, our branch master, is a 4th generation Kenshi having studied under Satoh-sensei in Fukuoka on Kyushu, a pupil of Nakamura-sensei.

Kesshu,
    ______ Jan.
    Jan Lipsius
    少林寺拳法
    Shorinjikempo
    Humboldt University Berlin Branch

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Gandhi

Likes (received)

I think it is worth remembering that while some branches outside Japan were started by Japanese nationals who were working abroad, some of the Sensei who made a long-term impact on their host country's developing Shorinji Kempo, were actually "sent" by Kaiso to spread the word.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripitaka of AA View Post
    I think it is worth remembering that while some branches outside Japan were started by Japanese nationals who were working abroad, some of the Sensei who made a long-term impact on their host country's developing Shorinji Kempo, were actually "sent" by Kaiso to spread the word.
    Hello David,

As an aikidoka with a friendly interest in 'international' SK, can I ask why you put "sent" in double quotes? Do you mean that they volunteered, or that they were given an offer that they could not refuse?

I ask because I was once told by an official of the Aikikai Hombu that no Japanese had ever been sent abroad to teach aikido: they had all volunteered (which meant to me that pigs had also learned how to fly at about the same time).

One of the jobs of the International Aikido Federation (IAF) is to offer our Hombu helpful advice on preserving our Founder's legacy. Accordingly, I asked the official to conform what he had stated to me at a meeting of Japanese 'despatched' shihans. Well, all hell broke loose when he did so, and the official had a difficult time explaining that his words had been taken out of context and that he had actually meant the opposite of what he had said. Amid his explanation there was the welcome sound of much porcine flesh hitting the ground.

Of course, there was a political aspect both to his earlier statement and to his recantation. So I hope you will explain the quotes .

Best wishes,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

In the context of SK, I do not believe there was any financial support for or pressure put on instructors to move overseas. However, going overseas to spread the word was seen as an honourable thing to do and therefore would have been attractive to a young, devoted kenshi with a spirit of adventure. However, by the same token, Hombu did not take kindly to instructors who started new branches, then left after 1-2 years.
    Robert Gassin
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

Aah Peter. Please note my non-position within the Shorinji Kempo world and remember that most of my tiny knowledge has ben festering at the back of a cluttered and clumsy mind.

If I recall correctly, in the case of Mizuno Sensei, he entered the UK (back in 1974, in the days when UK-Japan still required visas) with the stated profession of "Martial Arts Instructor". He had sponsors from one of the more established Karate-do organisations and his resident status was dependant on his teaching. It meant that he could not take up other employment.

As for the nature of his Missionary work being as a volunteer or as someone under orders... I haven't had the opportunity to ask him. I suspect that Rob's description probably fits. Perhaps if I re-watch that interview on a DVD from a couple of years ago it might say...

Having come in this way, I suspect his relationship with Hombu was a little more direct than others might have been. If they were sent by their employers on a foreign posting and made the extraordinary effort to start a local branch then that is a tremendous achievement in itself. Long-term commitment to a club (and eventually a federation) is in some ways a luxury that was not available to those whose job location was subject to the whim of Head Office. Perhaps this observation is what prompted the Shorinji Kempo Hombu to nominate some volunteers for the job.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

My impression, based on discussions with Todoroki Sensei, is that it was sometimes suggested that certain instructors go abroad to start branches. I think in the context of Japanese culture and organisations a suggestion is a little more compelling than those we are used to.

The branch I started training at (Newcastle) had an unusual beginning. It was founded by Steve Clarke when we were minarai (a long story). The branches coach was Todoroki Sensei, who was the Sydney branch master, some 200klm away. We were required to attend his training every Sunday so that he could keep an eye on our progress; we did this for some years.

Sydney branch was originally started by Okano Sensei, after he left Melbourne to continue his studies in Sydney (he was a lovely guy with a passion for making miniature boomerangs). On completion of his studies he returned to Japan. The Sydney club was then run by local members until Todoroki Sensei arrived. Todoroki Sensei went on to found the ill fated Australian Shorinji Kempo Federation.

Regarding Rob’s note on the attitudes of leaving a branch. Okano Sensei did get himself into hot water over the founding of Melbourne and Sydney Branches. I remember during the 89 Taikai that Okano Sensei was spending a lot of time with us at the training sessions and after, but this was clearly un-welcomed by Todoroki Sensei, who at one time became so aggressive towards him that Hombu staff had to intervene. Todoroki Sensei aggressive stance was because he was furious that Okano Sensei had abandoned the branches he started.
    Cheers
    Colin Linz

Likes (received)

Hi Colin,

I am sure Okano Sensei started Sydney first then moved to Melbourne in 1983. I recall travelling to Sydney with him to train in the winter of 1983. At this stage, Todoroki was already on the scene and the SK branch was doing quite well at the UNSW.

In fact, both Okano Sensei and I were in the Physiology Dept at Monash University. He lost his work Visa in early 1984 and was very distraught. He had no choise but leave Australia. I actually have photos of the Melbourne Branch kenshi farewelling him at the airport, on his way back to Japan.

The rest of your post is absolutely correct.

Cheers,
    Robert Gassin
    Australia

Likes (received)

Thanks for the clarification Rob. I thought it was the other way around. I had no personal experience with him at Sydney and just remember him being discussed at times. I would like to clarify that I don’t remember any ill feelings towards him at all by any of the Australian kenshi that were involved, on the contrary, they all spoke fondly of him.
    Cheers
    Colin Linz

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by colin linz View Post
    My impression, based on discussions with Todoroki Sensei, is that it was sometimes suggested that certain instructors go abroad to start branches. I think in the context of Japanese culture and organisations a suggestion is a little more compelling than those we are used to.
    Starting branches is still a major focus even here in Japan - busen is pretty much a doin-cho making machine

I could imagine that any kenshi who were planning to go overseas would have had it "suggested" to them that starting a branch would be a good idea - plus I imagine that being the first kenshi to start a branch in a foreign country would be something that many people would enjoy being known for.

I'm a little bit worried about the way Colin and Rob talk about the state of Shorinji in Aus.. is it that bad?
    Leon Appleby (Tokyo Ouji)
    半ばは自己の幸せを、半ばは他人の幸せを
    SK Blog at http://www.leonjp.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ewok View Post
    I'm a little bit worried about the way Colin and Rob talk about the state of Shorinji in Aus.. is it that bad?
    Leon,

Our discussion was about what happened 20-25 years ago, not now.

The reality now is that SK is not that much healthier in terms of number of active kenshi, branch development etc. However, there is a small core of dedicated, but ageing, senior kenshi.

We are waiting for you to return and make things happen - Leon the messiah - sounds good .
    Robert Gassin
    Australia

Likes (received)

To be honest we have very little presence in Australia. The branch growth has been nearly non existent over the years and a number of the branches are struggling to develop new kenshi or maintain healthy regular training numbers. For various reasons we have had no coordinated plan for the development of Shorinji Kempo in Australia. We do have some enthusiastic and knowledgeable branch masters and kenshi; however there isn’t much thought or planning past the individual branches.
    Cheers
    Colin Linz

Likes (received)

Default sending instructors

I think there is some information in
    this article
    "The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it."-Marcus Aurelius
    Fabian Känzig

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast