Likes Likes:  0

Thread: First European sumo champion

Likes (received)

Lightbulb First European sumo champion

Bulgarian rikishi Kotooshu (Kaloyan Stefanov Mahlyanov) became the first European to ever win a sumo basho. Here's the winning bout.

He had suffered a long standing knee injury and this was the first time in years he was able to perform according to his true potential.

Well done!

John McCulloch

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by John McCulloch View Post
    Bulgarian rikishi Kotooshu (Kaloyan Stefanov Mahlyanov) became the first European to ever win a sumo basho. Here's the winning bout.

He had suffered a long standing knee injury and this was the first time in years he was able to perform according to his true potential.

Well done!

John McCulloch
    Well John, You must be psychic, given your prediction that Kotooshu would win the September yusho (in 2007), I really didn't see him performing on this level, regardless of his stature or technical abilities. How did you know he had it in him to claim the Emperor's Cup? While you picked the wrong season of Tokyo Basho, you were correct about the rise of the Bulgarian Champion!

Ciao, Jon Palombi

Likes (received)

Talking Divination

Just like Demon Kogure, I can see the fate of rikishi.

However, I'm not too accurate on the timing.

BTW, speaking of H.E., the guest spot with Demon Kogure on Day 14 of the Natsu Basho was hilarious, especially when the Japanese language commentators tried asking him some questions. Fantastic!

John