Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Seeing in the future and sakki

Likes (received)

Default Seeing in the future and sakki

Maybe this might explain the sakki test.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,362266,00.html
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

The idea seems to be that we have evolved a compensation for the "neural lag" between the time one of our sense organs picks up an incoming signal (such as light hitting our retina) and when that signal actually gets transmitted into the brain (traveling down the optic nerve and into our wetware).

Our brains are pattern-matching prediction machines. It would only make sense for us to be constantly predicting a short time into the future to compensate for the delay. However, this still relies on there being a constant stream of input to not only make predictions from but also to constantly "course correct" as we go.

While perhaps this does have something to do with the sakki test ability, I for one don't think it would really explain the mystery behind it fully being that it would seem in the test there is pretty much an absence of conscious sensory input. This doesn't rule out sensory input that we perceive on an unconscious level, but I think therein lies the mystery behind it: what is that input?

</nerd hat off>
    Brett Guillory
    5th kyu GWNBF
    9th kyu KJJR

Brett's as green as they come." - J. Chambers

Likes (received)

....wow....
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,
    Tatsujin Photography & Design

Likes (received)

and there ya have it, it's not bs after all. i'm sure there's a scientific explanation for everything we train for but really the old fashioned explanation is just so much cooler
    Cory Burke
    ゴゴゴ!

Likes (received)

I agree with Brett. I am not a scientist, but the examples stated in the article just don't wash. You catch a baseball based upon a prediction of where the ball will be, by analyzing its path and speed. You move through a crowd by analyzing the path and speed of the people close to you - that too is based upon predictions.

I don't know much about the sakki test; just giving my thoughts on the theory in the article. Until science can catch up with some of this stuff, the fact that many people fail sakki more than once before passing makes outsiders question whether the law of averages has something to do with it. For the people that experience it or something similar, there is no doubt in their minds that they are perceiving intent before action.

Jeff Cook
    Last edited by Jeff Cook; 20th July 2008 at 13:48.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Cook View Post
    I agree with Brett. I am not a scientist, but the examples stated in the article just don't wash. You catch a baseball based upon a prediction of where the ball will be, by analyzing its path and speed. You move through a crowd by analyzing the path and speed of the people close to you - that too is based upon predictions.

I don't know much about the sakki test; just giving my thoughts on the theory in the article. Until science can catch up with some of this stuff, the fact that many people fail sakki more than once before passing makes outsiders question whether the law of averages has something to do with it. For the people that experience it or something similar, there is no doubt in their minds that they are perceiving intent before action.

Jeff Cook
    I'm sure for some people the law of averages DOES have something to do with it, but people cannot deny the fact that once people become adept at perceiving intent they are regularly able to pass the sakki test without problems. And I've yet to see someone come forward (well there was one person who claimed..) with evidence that the test is staged..

It's just the 6th sense. I'm sure there's a psychological / scientific explanation for it but who cares. Let them figure it out and get back to us 50 years later. Enjoy the sakki!
    Cory Burke
    ゴゴゴ!

Likes (received)

Sensing changes in electromagnetic output (aura, bioelectricity), sensing very, very minute changes in air movement, etc. are part of that 6th sense feeling, as my studies seem to indicate.
    Terry Miller

Likes (received)

There is nothing new there, we already know that the visual cortex does an enormous amount of preprocessing and has an adaptive element to try and self correct, thats the basis on which a lot of illusions occur, what we dont know is how vision actually works, this is just another model that tries to explain it, but its just a model, as with most functions above the basics, thats all we can do, model it and then refine it, but it doesnt make it reality.
    Jim Boone

Flick Lives!

Likes (received)

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...ine-news_rss20

I'd go with this as a much better candidate for relevant study. Something I've always suspected but didn't have the data on.
    Brett Guillory
    5th kyu GWNBF
    9th kyu KJJR

Brett's as green as they come." - J. Chambers