Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Taking Balance

Likes (received)

Default Taking Balance

During my training in Budo Taijutsu, I , as well as many of you, have had a constant refinement of understanding in the area of balance taking.
    From learning to take balance by moving in good posture towards a structural weak point on my uke causing skeletal augmentation, to taking balance by depriveing my uke of the space he needs to perform his next movement.

The use of Kyusho has also at points in my training had much to teach me in terms of taking balance in conjunction with the principles that I mentioned above,and on a few occasions all by itself.

Ura Kuzushi, or what I like to call lying with your body, is also another method of taking the uke's balance by psycologicaly influenceing him to slightly move in a direction that will miss-align him as a result of implying intention through visible body movement.

This has been my own personal evolution of understanding this aspect of my training since I began training. I would like to hear of from others who study Budo Taijutsu what they're current thoughts are on the aspect of Balance Taking, and some of the things that they think are important in succesfully taking and opponents balance.

Keep Going
    Chris Scarbrough

Likes (received)

At my current level of understanding, I like to think of there being a point of balance that is shared by my opponent and me. In order for me to be at a disadvantage in a fight scenario, the bad guy needs to occupy that space. I've learned that it's not so much about me taking that space with my body (although that's certainly a valid strategy) but denying access to that place. I like the idea of occupying the shared center of balance with intention, which is my interpretation of your post. Certainly that is one of the focuses of my training these days.

See ya next month,

J. Falls
    Boulder, CO

Likes (received)

Thank you for your insight Jeff, it's good to hear from you.

Keep Going
    Chris Scarbrough