Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Seminar with Ono Ha Itto Ryu Soke

Likes (received)

Thumbs up Seminar with Ono Ha Itto Ryu Soke

On August 8th & 9th, 2008 we will be hosting a two day training seminar with Sasamori Takemi Soke, 17th headmaster of Ono Ha Itto Ryu.

Sasamori Soke has never before taught in North America. In fact, he rarely teaches outside of the hombu dojo even in Japan. This is a very rare training opportunity indeed. In spite of the very short notice, I am receiving an incredible amount of interest from the Kendo, Iaido and the Daito Ryu community to be able to attend this training event. It for this reason, that I am announcing this event as soon as possible to the JSA community here in the United States.

Sasamori Soke is highly regarded in Japan as one of the greatest modern day teachers of koryu kenjutsu.
    Sasamori Soke inherited the Ono-Ha Itto Ryu from his father, Sasamori Junzo, 16th Soke. Sasamori Junzo Soke was Menkyo Kaiden in Ono-Ha Itto ryu, Chokugen-ryu naginata jutsu, Shin Muso Hayashizaki ryu and the last known teacher of Muraku ryu.

Ono Ha Itto Ryu is a classical Japanese school of kenjutsu (odachi, kodachi, habiki) and was founded by Ono Jirouemon Tadaaki who inherited the school from Ito Ittosai Kagehisa (Itto ryu). Ono Tadaaki was the kenjutsu instructor of the Tokugawa shogun. If you wish to learn more about the style you can refer to an excerpt here , written by Mr. Meik Skoss.

Please contact me immediately if you are remotely interested in attending.

Venue: NY, NJ, PA, yet to be determined…sorry!

Dates: August 8th and 9th, 2008
    Tuition rate: $ 150.00 for one day / $ 225.00 for two days

Contact Info:
    Carl E. Long
    clong@jikishin-kai.com or clong@sakurabudokan.com
    Tel. 570-288-7865

Thank you,
    Carl Long

Likes (received)

Default Update...

Greetings to all,

For those that have been inquiring about the location of Sasamori Sokes Seminar...

We are in the process of establishing the venue. I am trying to get a location very close to the Airport in Newark, NJ to make it convenient for everyone. I am very sorry that we had such short notice, but the opportunity only comes along once in a while and Sasamori Soke wanted to make it these dates.

Thank you for your patience. I know we're going to have a great time.

With humble regards, I am
    Sincerely yours,

Carl Long
    Jikishin-Kai Intl.

Likes (received)

Default Seminar Registration

The venue for Sasamori Soke's seminar has been approved and we are pleased to announce that registrations can now be made online at the website link listed below. In order to attend this seminar all participants must preregister.

Friday August 8th & Saturday, August 9th
    Fleisher Athletic Center
    NJIT University is within 5 to 10 minutes of Newark Airport
    Newark , NJ

Registration can be done online by clicking here:

Seminar Registration

Thank you for your patience and early registrations,

Carl Long

Likes (received)

Default Sasamori Seminar Hotel Info...

Hello All,

We have secured a room block at the Robert Treat Hotel in Newark NJ at a reduced rate for those of you that would like to take advantage of it. The Hotel is less than a mile from the NJIT Gym. The rooms will be released and will no longer be offered at the JKI seminar rate after July 24th, 2008. Please be sure to book your room ASAP in order to secure the best choice for Sasamori Sensei's Seminar.

There are only 25 double rooms and 5 single rooms left!

Refer to the Group No. 993 or Group Name JKI (JIKISHIN KAI INTL) when reserving your room.

The Hotel website and amenities can be found here....http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...67&disablenav=

The Hotel is 2.5 miles from Newark Airport next to Military Park and within walking distance of the NJIT Gym

We are delighted that your group will be staying with us at the Robert Treat Hotel while in Newark. This is the information we have for your group.

You can book the room online at the website or call the hotel directly at: 973-622-1000

Group No. 993

Group Name: JKI (JIKISHIN-KAI INT.)

Arrival Date: Thursday, August 07, 2008

Departure Date: Sunday, August 10, 2008

No. of Nights: 3

Nightly Room Rate*: Singles: $99 (per room); Doubles: $115 (per room)

Room Block: Singles: 5 rooms; Doubles: 25 rooms

Release Date: 7/24/08

*Excludes 14% in taxes

You may reference the group by name or number to make changes or claim rooms. Rooms not claimed by the release date will be dropped from the group block and the contracted group rate will no longer be available. Visit our website or call us at any time should you require additional hotel information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Hotel Options are:

Hilton Newark Penn Station

Gateway Center - Raymond Blvd,

Newark, New Jersey, United States 07102-5107
    Tel: 1-973-622-5000 Fax: 1-973-824-2188

$166/night and up (but they’re close to full already at this rate)

or

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NJIT Residence Life

If you are interested in this option contact me immediately!

http://www.njit.edu/reslife/summer.php

$51/night without linen (linen & towels for $10/week extra)

Thank you all for your patience. I am doing my best to make this a great event at an affordable price for everyone.

Sincerely,

Carl Long

Jikishin-Kai Intl.

Likes (received)

Carl,
    Many thanks to you, your wife and students for putting on a very successful event. Soke was a delight to study with.
    Raymond Sosnowski

"Setsunintoh, Katsuninken, Shinmyohken."

Likes (received)

Default Many thanks to all!

Hello all...

I am sorry for the delay in thanking you all but due to weather conditions I was stuck with Sensei for a couple of more days than I had anticipated. Oh yeah, that was terrible!

First and foremost..even though they may never read this... I wish to thank both Mr. & Mrs. Sasamori for a wonderful seminar week. I was fortunate to spend several days with them (aside from the seminar) both on and off the dojo floor and I am not sure in which venue I learned more about kenjutsu. They are absolutely wonderful and caring people.

I will leave the seminar specifics for a later time.

The interviews we conducted delved deeply into the historical, theoretical, spiritual and technical aspects of Ono Ha Itto Ryu Kenjutsu. I don't believe there was a single moment that everyone wasn't glued to their seats listening and anticipating Senseis next reponse.

At other times during his visit Sensei was gracious to give us instruction and information on the Shin Muso Hayashizaki Ryu swordsmanship as well. Needless to say, this opened up new windows into the Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu that we already study and teach. He is also soke of that line in addition to the Chukugen Ryu of naginata jutsu.

As many of you know, Sasamori Sensei expresses himself very well in both English and Japanese. As does his wife. During his stay with us, he was the most giving and open teacher any of us could possibly wish for. I know that his teaching was an inspiration to all that attended. As many of you who attended know, Soke has agreed to come back to teach us whenever we need him (which will be A LOT!). He was very pleased by everyones spirit and hard work. Each of you contributed much to a wonderful future and ongoing relationship with he and the Ona Ha Itto Ryu.

It was great to see many of my old friends and training partners again. I am very grateful that we were able to share this special training together.

Please allow me the opportunity to express my sincere grattitude to each of you that have contributed your time and sincere spirit of training to make Sasamori Soke's visit and seminar a great success.

While Sensei was here, Shimabukuro Sensei and I had a tremendous amout of time getting to know the man behind the sword. My only regret is that it will be several months before our next trip to Japan Hombu for more training. November just seems too far away right now.

Now for more work translating the information he has given us as well as going over the video and notes.

On behalf of Shimabukuro Sensei and myself, thank you all for this memorable and historic occasion.

Sincerely,

Carl Long

Jikishin-Kai Intl.
    Kokusai Nippon Budo Kai

Likes (received)

Ooops...I need more sleep...that should read "CHOKUGEN" Ryu. Sorry....