Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The secret of ki, life, and asian martial arts.

Likes (received)

Lightbulb The secret of ki, life, and asian martial arts.

I've been a practitioner of martial arts all my life, right now it's predominantly karate. I have had some really great experiences with my ki (chi or Qi are other spellings of this). I have been searching online and have found that the chinese are usually considered the best with their chi, through qi gong and tai chi. I found some things that are enough to change a man's religious beliefs. There are people who can throw you with their ki without even touching you! I was unaware of this until this point in my life. Now I want more and want to try my hand at it myself. I want to combine this with my karate and make the most of my martial art and of my life. I have found a youtube clip of an amazing chinese practitioner of this, lama dorje. Also I have found an akijujutsu teacher who can do it as well. Below is a link with each of their demonstrations. I was unaware that the japanese martial arts had been able to do this kind of thing. Can anybody tell me if it is just the master and not the martial art, or do only certain martial arts do this? I have been able to break things and withstand blows through my ki without pain. I still have never imagined doing anything even remotely like what I see here. Any help would be great with this amazing topic. Thanks.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KJr2Bd...eature=related
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2v1BXX...eature=related

Likes (received)

Default At risk of sounding skeptical...

FWIW- Much of what folks put across as legitimate external expressions of 'qi' are works... of course, there are some extraordinary individuals out there, but be wary of hokum salespeople on your journey.

Be well,
    Jigme
    Jigme Chobang Daniels
    aoikoyamakan at gmail dot com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by brendan V Lanza View Post
    I still have never imagined doing anything even remotely like what I see here.

That's because it's hocum. Parlour tricks performed on extremely suggestible subjects.

That first clip starts off so-so, then descends into farce. Please do not take anything after about the 1:30 point remotely seriously.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

Really, it´s not good to take everything seriously... however, I'm sure ki does exist, but it´s not a sepcial area of just a few martial arts.

Everyone has ki, the fact they know how to use it or not depends on them. Martial Arts help to develop this ability. Personally, I've done a few things and actually works, but to believe or nor depends on you. You'd only believe it if you actually see it -and do it.

To use ki doesn't requires a special meditation, I think. The first time it happened to me I was only playing basketball, but it happens I was too excited and adrenalin was filling me up. I guess that helps too, so...

...throwing a man with a not strong touch is possible through ki. But I´ve never seen of doing it without physical contact. Now, that's something I can believe only doing it myself after seeing it clearly.

---

Regards,
    Katerina Chacoff.
    Last edited by P Goldsbury; 27th June 2008 at 08:34. Reason: Full Name added
    Regards,

Katerina Chacoff

Likes (received)

I've been a practitioner of martial arts all my life, right now it's predominantly karate. I have had some really great experiences with my ki (chi or Qi are other spellings of this). I have been searching online and have found that the chinese are usually considered the best with their chi, through qi gong and tai chi. I found some things that are enough to change a man's religious beliefs. There are people who can throw you with their ki without even touching you! I was unaware of this until this point in my life. Now I want more and want to try my hand at it myself. I want to combine this with my karate and make the most of my martial art and of my life. I have found a youtube clip of an amazing chinese practitioner of this, lama dorje. Also I have found an akijujutsu teacher who can do it as well. Below is a link with each of their demonstrations. I was unaware that the japanese martial arts had been able to do this kind of thing. Can anybody tell me if it is just the master and not the martial art, or do only certain martial arts do this? I have been able to break things and withstand blows through my ki without pain. I still have never imagined doing anything even remotely like what I see here. Any help would be great with this amazing topic. Thanks.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2v1BXX...eature=related

The existance of Ki is one of those intangibles that has exponents on both sides of the fence screaming loud and clear that their side is right. I have been on both sides of that fence and find the use of Ki as an invaluable tool that I could not do without in my martial arts practice. The film you viewed is an example of quite possibly being group hysteria prompted by suggestability on the part of the subjects and what behavior is expected if you want to be a part of the group. I would like for you to view the following video and post up an opinion of what you saw happen:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I
    Rick Torres, Dojo Cho
    Integrity Defensive Arts
    Victoria, Texas
    www.ksrjujitsu.com
    [/B]

Likes (received)

the first video is self hypnosis or just a group of frauds. they are either all faking, or definitely a few are plants and the rest are incredibly gullible and believing they are actually affected the same way as the plants. the second is also fake if you watch the way he prepares to break his fall it's apparent he's taking the hit and throwing himself down. you can see this in lots chi demonstrations.
    Dean Eichler der Zweite
    Bujinkan Keiko Dojo
    Owner www.korisuya.com Ninjutsu tools

Likes (received)

Default Interesting...

I had asked some people about this and said that it was actualy possibile given the laws of quantum physics. Supposedly we're all made of energy and have more considerable control over this energy than we know, we just need t excercise it. however, i do know that there are many frauds out there doing what you say that they are doing. There are other examples of this that do not involve humans to fake, like below:

http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=iFjEqj...eature=related

here he is breaking a guiness book record, supposedly

http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=FyV4Zc9k0uE

What are your opinions on this?

Likes (received)

There are other examples of this that do not involve humans to fake, like below:

http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=iFjEqj...eature=related

here he is breaking a guiness book record, supposedly

http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=FyV4Zc9k0uE

you don't need chi to break bricks just physics. first off the obvious they're spaced, which means he's basically only breaking one or two bricks and allowing the rest to break themselves. this is a trick anyone who ever took a few karate classes knows. The second part is the lying on nails, once again physics everyone knows the more nails and the less space means more weight is distributed evenly across the surface so none of the nails will penetrate just like walking on glass. watch a few episodes of penn and teller: bulls hit and you'll see all this nonsense explained.
    Dean Eichler der Zweite
    Bujinkan Keiko Dojo
    Owner www.korisuya.com Ninjutsu tools

Likes (received)

Well, back in high school I lay on a bed of nails and had some cinderblocks placed on my chest. There was no chi involved. If you want to impress me, then lie down on one nail without being punctured. One nail will go through you. A bed of nails will support you.

If I remember correctly, e-budo member Joe Yang is something of an expert on the parlor tricks pulled by groups like this-- he has studied the history of such tricks and how they developed from quasi-theatrical demonstrations. He made a great post on it here once. You should search for that post. It's quite informative. It's no more "ki" or "chi" power than David Copperfield's illusions are real magic.

As a matter of fact, these tricks as being a lot like a magic show-- there is certainly an art to it. Sleight of hand, illusion, misdirection, all of these are impressive talents. A man who can pull a rabbit out of a hat has mastered a number of skills. But these skills do not include the ability to summon animals out of thin air. Knowing how to prepare the bricks in advance, knowing how to stack them so that they break cleanly, these are skills. But they are not ki.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

People:

Why is this in the Meditation thread? I see nothing related to meditation in any of the posts.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default I'm sorry, I hurried my last post and couldn't explain well...

I am well aware that people break bricks, I have studied karate as I mentioned earlier. I am also aware that people have support when lying on a bed of nails, and that cinderblocks can be broken upon them. I apologize that I was unable to finish last time, I was hurried out the door mid paragraph. I haven't seen anybody break bricks by tapping on them, and also, if you look closely it seems as if they break before he touches them on th guiness record video. Also, the tai chi video is from a center for buddhistic studies, why would they risk dirtying their name for parlor tricks?

Likes (received)

Default on another note,

I have never seen anybody break 15 bricks by tapping on them, it's not like he broke a couple. It was obviously a tap, there was no real shoulder or tricep thrown into this.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens View Post
    People:

Why is this in the Meditation thread? I see nothing related to meditation in any of the posts.
    Hello Brian,

I agree and have moved the thread to Budo no Kokoro. Mark Murray can decide whether to leave it here, or not.

PAG
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Default Hello again Mr. Lanza

It would appear that you have invested some energy (and research?) into this topic, and don't wish to be swayed from your held beliefs. If you are soliciting geniune reaction, the fact that there is consensus about what you are posting... well, one could draw some information from that... YMMV.

Be well,
    Jigme
    Jigme Chobang Daniels
    aoikoyamakan at gmail dot com

Likes (received)

I have never seen anybody break 15 bricks by tapping on them, it's not like he broke a couple. It was obviously a tap, there was no real shoulder or tricep thrown into this.
    Mr. Lanza,
    You asked for thoughts from people much more experienced in the martial arts than you. You then proceeded to argue with those thoughts. If you feel that it's all so wonderful and magical, go track down one of these fellows and give them money. They'll be more than happy to take your money and "teach" you all about magical ki power, no touch knock-outs, and disappearing elephants. If you are expecting anyone here to endorse your desire to learn magic and tell you it's a good idea, then I believe you're wasting everyone's time.

Just my opinion though.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast