Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iai dojo in Charleston NC???

Likes (received)

Default iai dojo in Charleston NC???

ok I give in... I have tried to get hold of the kendo/iai guys in Charleston but no luck...

So... a call for help. I am there starting July 10th for a week, with a view to living there long term. OBVIOUSLY I am not going if I can't find somewhere to practice!
    Also trying to find a hall for the 12th weekend so I can do some practise with a couple of friends coming down to see me... any help appreciated! And all are welcome to come if we get a hall!
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

Eww, the south?

Why don't you just start Roshukai USA?
    無雙直傳英信流・日本古武道居合研究会 - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu ・ Nihon Kobudo Iai Kenkyukai
    東京蘆洲会 - Tokyo Roshukai

Likes (received)

Smile

Hey Chidokan...

Charleston is in South Carolina.

I know I mentioned that to you... I forgot to tell you it's on the coast, though.
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chidokan View Post
    ok I give in... I have tried to get hold of the kendo/iai guys in Charleston but no luck...
    Hi, Tim.

You may already have tried here...http://www.auskf.info/dojo/sc.htm..but if not, well, there it is.

HTH.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaoru View Post
    ...Charleston is in South Carolina. ...I forgot to tell you it's on the coast, though.
    Yep. Charleston Harbor has been an important port through much of our history. Lots of military and naval activity there.

Here are some maps, Tim.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens View Post
    Yep. Charleston Harbor has been an important port through much of our history. Lots of military and naval activity there.

Here are some maps, Tim.
    Yeah, it sure has been. I've been to Charleston once 4 1/2 years ago. Beautiful place, too!
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Spinelli View Post
    Eww, the south?
    Any particular problem with the South, Eric?
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Smile

Hi Tim,

I did find out something else that could help. I started a PM to you in reply to yours and will finish it tomorrow. It's getting late here.
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

is it on the border or something??? I keep getting random NC or SC on site searches... maybe some people's idea of geography is worse than I thought previously

Thanks for the help from all so far. I am sending my buddie around to the citadel kendo club to see if they do any iai. If not, they are about to start....
    Tim Hamilton

Likes (received)

is it on the border or something??? I keep getting random NC or SC on site searches...
    Nope. It's almost exactly midway between the North Carolina border to the north and the Georgia border to the south.

I am sending my buddie around to the citadel kendo club to see if they do any iai.
    Since their name is Charleston Kendo & Iaido Club I would hope they do Iai, but who knows?

Sending a buddy for recon is a good idea.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by DDATFUS View Post
    Any particular problem with the South, Eric?
    No, not really. With the exception of Oklahoma, I've been to every state in "The South." I don't think I'd move there, but visiting was just fine. I really just wanted to crack a joke while asking, "Why don't you start a USA Roshukai branch?" I had forgotten that Tim also plays Japanese Whack-a-mole, er, kendo, and that maybe he'd want to continue that nonsense as well.
    東京蘆洲会 - Tokyo Roshukai

Likes (received)

USA Roshukai... almost rhymes! Unfortunately(?) I've been beaten to it....there are some guys in California who are already starting with Iwata sensei coming from a previous visit from one of his students, Tateno sensei, and my friend John from Boston (who gets to the UK far more times than is good for his wallet...although I guess his whiskey cabinet is full!!)

I have come to the conclusion that MA websites are like women... they give you just enough info to get you excited, then let you down badly.
    Tim Hamilton

Likes (received)

Smile

is it on the border or something??? I keep getting random NC or SC on site searches... maybe some people's idea of geography is worse than I thought previously

Thanks for the help from all so far. I am sending my buddie around to the citadel kendo club to see if they do any iai. If not, they are about to start....
    Yes, they do iaido. The sensei's name is on the website I sent you several days ago. He's a godan, but I don't know the ryu, unfortunately. But yeah... if you're gonna live there, why don't you start an iaido dojo? South Carolina needs another iaido dojo.
    Carolyn Hall

Likes (received)

USA Roshukai... almost rhymes! Unfortunately(?) I've been beaten to it....
    Yeah, but California alone is bigger than all of Japan, which has over 10 branches. Even your friend in Boston is over 1300km away.

The USA needs some more good Eishin Ryu. I hold you responsible!
    東京蘆洲会 - Tokyo Roshukai

Likes (received)

USA Roshukai... almost rhymes! Unfortunately(?) I've been beaten to it....there are some guys in California who are already starting with Iwata sensei coming from a previous visit from one of his students, Tateno sensei, and my friend John from Boston (who gets to the UK far more times than is good for his wallet...although I guess his whiskey cabinet is full!!)

I have come to the conclusion that MA websites are like women... they give you just enough info to get you excited, then let you down badly.
    Thanks Tim,

But to be fair and balanced - there are several quality Eishin Ryu groups with dedicated practioners through the big, old USA outside of the Roshukai. And if you were to ever escape that damp, wet rock called England - I am sure you would eventually look them up one-by-one.

My wallet – I think of it as spending my children’s inheritance. In the end I think they would feed me just budget cat food if I ever lived that long - despite their assurances of nothing but the best Purina Gourmet brand for Dear Dad - King Lear had it right!

The whiskey cabinet is full – since I only touch the “aqua vitae” under extreme social pressure, unlike drinking alone with my Buddy Weiser. Anyway you haven’t visited New England either to sample it since I began collecting on my UK trips.

Besides I thought I would be a whiskey contender until I wandered into that whiskey store in Terminal 4 at Heathrow last summer; saw that 1937 Glenfiddich bottle for a mere GBP 10,000. My spirit broken I flew home with the "budget bottles".

The rich are truly different - they have more money.
    John McPartland
    Well, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!  I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast