Likes Likes:  2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Japanese Judo book

Likes (received)

Default New Judo

New Judo - Tachiwaza (Standing Techniques)
    Hoshizaki (somebody 治名 maybe Jimei?... I can't figure out his first name)
    Tokyo: Shohoen, 1933

Hoshizaki 6dan

Reprinted in 1983.
    Lance Gatling ガトリング
    Tokyo 東京

Long as we're making up titles, call me 'The Duke of Earl'

Likes (received)

Beer Last Book

This last one is a two volume set. Volume one covers standing techniques. Volume two covers ground techniques. They could be part of a larger set.

Stuart Jacobson

Likes (received)

Default Last Book

This looks like the author.

Stuart Jacobson

Likes (received)

Default And the winner is.....

Are you sure you've not rigged this? You've certainly saved the best for last. One of the most famous sets, at least in Japan. A decent set is worth $350-400 here. My favorite.

Oda, Join, 6th dan Kodokan judo.
    Judo Taiken - Vol. 1 (上) and 2. Call it 'A General Survey of Judo'
    Tokyo: Shoshikan, 1931 3ed. (1st ed 1929)

You'll see his first name mispronounced as 'Tsunetane' - almost no one at the Kodokan even knows how to say it correctly, and even those that knew him didn't use his given name.

Oda sensei was famous for his newaza; there are enough combinations and escapes in the groundwork volume to keep you busy for a lifetime.

Oda sense wrote these as a pretty young man; he was later one of my judo instructor's sensei. That is his pic from circa 1929.

A pretty rare find, rare, I think, overseas.

Nice collection! It would take you weeks of searching to put all that together today, even in Tokyo. Most are available, but not every day.
    Lance Gatling ガトリング
    Tokyo 東京

Likes (received)

Beer Ps

There is no more - the Taikan by Oda is only the 2 volumes.

Lg
    Lance Gatling ガトリング
    Tokyo 東京

Likes (received)

Default The last book

Thanks Lance for all your help. I saved this set for last because it looked like it had the highest quality binding of all the books. The set is in very good shape. There are no slip covers or dust jackets but the covers are nice and the pages are clean with no rips or folds. It's nice to know the background of all the books even the lesser ones.

Thanks again to everyone who helped!

Stuart Jacobson

Likes (received)

Hello,
    The book "Judo Chugakko" (presented first) is that of Muneo Shiotani (1906-1985). My professor at the University Nihon Daigaku Taiiku for my academic research on the mind of J. Kano and history of Judo (1977-1980). (I do not have that book!) (Excuse my bad english)

Shiotani entered the Ecole Normale Superieure J. Kano, from 1927 to 1931, then studied psychology at Bunrika Daigaku (Graduation Thesis: "The influence of judo on the development of body and mind." Student of Sakuraba and Nagaoka, he finished 5th dan.

He became a professor at the Normal School in 1934. J. Kano organizes his marriage then appointed him head of the "scientific research section" of the Kodokan. He published the first book in 1936.

During the war (7th dan), he was professor Ichiro ABE Shinichi OIMATSU. He is part of the refocused Butokukai Tokyo. He re-programmed Judo (as a method of defense) to enable teachers of Judo (Judo was arrested in schools) not to go to the front. He was accused of being responsible for the Prohibition of Judo by U.S. forces.

8th dan in 1975, he became a medical doctor and professor of social physical education (gymnastics ergonomic, suspension, etc.).
    He no longer participated in the evolution of the Kodokan Judo, now sporting. This enabled him to teach me the thought of J. Kano (physical education, intellectual and moral), the influence of judo on personal development (medical) history and "hidden" from Japanese Judo (he was against the amalgam (national) is around "Budo" when the creation of the "Budokan" for the Olympics. For him, Judo was the way educational J. Kano, and not a "martial art".

I am pictured with him on my club website Pont Saint pierre Normandy:
    http://judopsp.free.fr/JUDOPSP/Souvenirs.html

His teaching has enabled me to complete a thesis on the Judo J. Kano.
    And translated into French his method: Judo (Jujutsu).
    I teach and I practice Judo Kano independently for over 30 years in France, without any success.
    http://judokano.free.fr
    Amitiés
    JF Hernandez

Likes (received)

Default Shiotani

Shiotani developed a modern hand to hand combat style during WWII, tried to convince the military to adopt it. I don't think it was widely taught, just some experiments.

Kano shihan retired from the Tokyo Higher Normal School in 1920, but was certainly still well known and active on issues there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3