Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: History of Japanese Jujutsu in Australia

Likes (received)

Default History of Japanese Jujutsu in Australia

Hello All,

Does anyone have any information or pointers on the early establishment of Japanese jujutsu dojo here in Australia? I am aware that there was an increase in interest in koryu jujutsu and other classical Japanese martial arts following the International Ancient Martial Arts & Cultural Exhibition held in Adelaide in 1988, sponsored by Wonho Chong-sensei of Hokushin Shinoh-ryu Iai (14 headmasters of various koryu, 2 of which I was lucky to meet years & years later, but I'm still kicking myself that I missed that event! Too busy stuffing around with sport karate and the next upcomming tournament, oh well). I am sure that at least a few Japanese jujutsu dojo were already established prior to this event.

I am not aware of any substantial evidence in regards to the following three examples of early Japanese jujutsu dojo in Austrlia, but I have read that:

* M. W. Olsen (aka. P. M. Sterling) established a dojo in South Australia in 1922, obstensibly teaching the jujutsu of S. K. Uyenishi of England.

* Dr A. J. Ross established a dojo (judo & jujutsu) in Brisbane in 1928, he was a practitioner of Kono-ryu (?) based in Kyobashi-ku, Tokyo.

* Mr Rugoro Fukushima, a tent wrestler with a touring circus group in Australia, was believed to have been a jujutsu practitioner in the mid 1930s. No extant records or direct transmission dojo exist to this day in regards to Fukushima-san and there is no evidence of which ryu or tradition/school he was involved in or if he was a licensed instructor or not. His grave is in a cemetery in Rotorua, New Zealand.

A charter licence was issued to Ms Patricia Harrington to open a branch dojo of Sosui-shi-tsu Ryu (Sosuishi-ryu) in 1965 by the 15th headmaster, Shusaku Shitama-shihan. This dojo is still operating in Sysdney.

I have seen the late Serge Dubrovich-sensei perform the Shodan no Kata (Tachi-ai) of Tenjin Shinyo Ryu jujutsu in the early 90s at a Hontai Yoshin Ryu seminar conducted by Tsuyoshi Munetoshi Inoue-soke. I believe, and I stand to be corrected, that George Martin-sensei was a student of Dubrovich-sensei. Marton-sensei is now the Australian shibucho for Tenjin Shinyo Ryu in Australia under Kubota Toshishiro-shihan.

Does anyone in e-budo land have any other detailed input or information to offer in regards to the history and development of Japanese jujutsu dojo in Australia.

Cheers,
    Paul Steadman

Likes (received)

Ryugoro Fukushima had a class in Sydney before he and his wife moved to New Zealand. I'm uncertain as to whether or not he taught the class as koryu jujutsu, but some of the AFJJ senior practitioners have more information on his activities in Australia, who were very generous in sharing their information regarding Fukushima with me around 10 years ago. You might consider contacting them through Philip Hinshelwood.
    Daniel Lee

Likes (received)

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for the heads up. Members of the AJJF were attempting to research and gain details on Ryugoro Fukushima back in 2002; *how to write his name in kanji and *what ryu/dojo of jujutsu did he belong to, also see request for info here: http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...hlight=ryugoro .

I talked to Phil Hinshelwood-sensei very briefly today about Fukushima-san, unfortanetly he was too busy to speak at length or detail. He said he may be able to reply in person to this thread in the near future.

Cheers,
    Paul Steadman

Likes (received)

Default Takenouchi Hangan Ryu Jujutsu in Oz 1981

G'day again all,

Just dug this up from the "budo library vault" where the stale smell of musty dampness and cloves still lingers

Mr R. Smith 4th Dan, ran a branch of Takenuchi Hangan Ryu jujutsu in NSW (Sydney?) which was established back in 1881. Mr R. Smith trained in Japan under Masayoshi Nakajima Ryucho-sai the 5th headmaster of Takenouchi Hangan Ryu from 1961.

Mr. I. James also trained under Masayoshi Nakajima-sensei in Japan from Jan 1981 in iaido and jujutsu.

Mr Tsuneyoshi Matsuno travelled to Australia under the auspices of the Takenuchi Hangan Ryu under Masayoshi Nakajima-sensei to teach & promote iaido and kodachi techniques in Aug 1981 and Aug 1982.

Does anyone in E-budo prefecture know Messrs Smith & James and there contact details or maybe have any further details on Takenouchi Hangan Ryu activities in Australia.

Ref: Bugei Ju-Happan: The Spirit of the Samurai by Masayoshi Nakajima, 1983 Sugiyama Publishing Co Ltd.
    Paul Steadman

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Steadman View Post
    I talked to Phil Hinshelwood-sensei very briefly today about Fukushima-san, unfortanetly he was too busy to speak at length or detail. He said he may be able to reply in person to this thread in the near future.

Cheers,
    I just approved Hinshelwood Sensei's account so maybe he will answer shortly.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Gunnedah, Australia & Kawasaki-shi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan
    Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Steadman View Post
    Hello Daniel,

Thanks for the heads up. Members of the AJJF were attempting to research and gain details on Ryugoro Fukushima back in 2002; *how to write his name in kanji and *what ryu/dojo of jujutsu did he belong to, also see request for info here: http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...hlight=ryugoro .

Cheers,
    Back around 2002 whilst in Japan I made a number of inquires on behalf of Roger Quick President of the AJF in relation to Fukushima Ryugoro and the connection with the AJF. My inquires proved unsuccessful. There was a Fukushima who was a main training partner of Kano Jigoro. I don't know if there is any connection between Kano Sensei's training partner and Fukushima Ryugoro in Australia. A friend and colleague of mine Patrick Mccarthy has also made inquires on behalf of the AJF to no avail.

Probably best to contact Gordon Griffiths a senior executive of the AJF through their website. If I recall he had quite a collection of historical matters concerning the ASJJ / AJF and Fukushima Sensei. I don't know if there is any koryu connection within the AJF, nor do I have access to their syllabus.

If you check out Daniel's website on Australia Koryu Group Directory you will find all the authentic koryu traditions including jujutsu. I think there are about nine traditions in Australia which have jujutsu in their syllabus.

Philip Hinshelwood

Likes (received)

Hey Phil-sensei,

Great to have you onboard the good ship "e-budo." Thank you for your reply. I've ran into Gordon Griffiths a few times over the past twenty years at various seminars and training camps, a true gentleman of western style goshin jujutsu in Australia. I'll contact him shortly and see if he can furnish any further details.

Cheers,
    Paul Steadman

Likes (received)

There is a book "Text book of Judo (Jiu-jitsu) vol. 1" by Ross, Dr. A. J. "Jack", Sydney, Australia, The Australian Council of Judo, 1949, 71p. In it it is explained that still at teens Dr. Ross enrolled in Kono school Tokyo. He is the founder of Brisbane Judo.

Likes (received)

Sinature was off for some reason?
    Esa Vakkilainen
    Even professors do make mistakes

Likes (received)

Ryugoro Fukushima
    In the Saitama prefecture surname dictionary (website) there was a Fukushima Ryugoro (福島留五郎) who belonged to Ryugo-ryu (柳剛流), which according to the Japanese wiki includes kenjutsu, iaijutsu, naginatajutsu, jojutsu and jujutsu. The dictionary gave a date of Meiji 21 (1888). I'm not sure if this was the date of birth.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

More information on Ryugoro Fukushima (aka Ray Shima) in New Zealand. http://ir.canterbury.ac.nz/bitstream...s_fulltext.pdf
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Gunnedah, Australia & Kawasaki-shi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan
    Likes (received)

Default Fukushima Ryugoro

Quote Originally Posted by George Kohler View Post
    In the Saitama prefecture surname dictionary (website) there was a Fukushima Ryugoro (福島留五郎) who belonged to Ryugo-ryu (柳剛流), which according to the Japanese wiki includes kenjutsu, iaijutsu, naginatajutsu, jojutsu and jujutsu. The dictionary gave a date of Meiji 21 (1888). I'm not sure if this was the date of birth.
    Interesting find George! I'll pass this information on to Roger Quick and Gordon Griffiths of the Australian Jujitsu Federation.
    Regards,
    Philip
    Philip Hinshelwood
    Yagyu Shingan Ryu 柳生心眼流
    www.shinganryu.org

Likes (received)

Default james

hi does any body have any information on the late proffessor jack britten or any photoes of him or the alpha school of jiu-jitsu that was on sheil road liverpool

Likes (received)

Default james

hi does any one have any information on the late professor jack britten or any old photoes of him or the alpha jiu-jitsu school that was on sheil road liverpool thank you

Likes (received)

There is a piece on the web here about him...

http://budokanju-jitsuclub.co.uk/budokan7.aspx

Neil
    Neil Hawkins
    "The one thing that must be learnt but
    cannot be taught is understanding"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast