Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Can Ozeki Kotooshu win the Yusho, again, in Nagoya?

Likes (received)

Question Can Ozeki Kotooshu win the Yusho, again, in Nagoya?

Greetings All,
    So, I would suppose that the main question in the minds of most sumo fans is this: Can Ozeki Kotooshu win the Yusho, again, in Nagoya? And if he does, would he be promoted to Yokozuna? Considering his poor performance, prior to this May's Tokyo Basho (do to injuries), is he stable enough to hold the rank? Does he have the metal for the job? I think not. Even so, given both Yokozuna's unsportsmanlike behavior on the final day of the Tokyo tournament, a Yokozuna with more poise and self-control would be a breath of fresh air. Asashoryu is getting way out-of-hand. Even so, I feel Kotooshu falls shy of the Yokozuna mark and wouldn't hold the rank for long, anyway (in the end). As for the probable Champion in Nagoya? I'm betting on Hakuho. I guess we shall begin to find out this Sunday. Thoughts... anyone else? What about you, John McCulloch? See you folks from across the Dohyo (from far-away Vermont).

Be well and practice often, Jon Palombi
    Last edited by jonpalombi; 10th July 2008 at 00:26.

Likes (received)

Thumbs up Nagoya heat

Hi Jon,

Like you I am excitedly looking forward to the Nagoya basho.

I'd be thrilled if Kotooshu can pull off another yusho but I doubt it'll happen. Mind you, we haven't seen him healthy for a long time so anything is possible.

I agree that the most likely winner is Hakuho. His rematch with Asashoryu will be a serious test of character for both of them.

Let's get it on!

John McCulloch

Likes (received)

Default It's over for Kotooshu.

Hey Gang,
    Well, it's painfully obvious that Kotooshu will not win the yusho. At 4-3, he is highly unlikely to catch up to Hakuho (7-0), Kotomitsuki (6-1) and Ama (6-1). The Yokozuna promotion committee had a set-point qualification of him winning the Nagoya Basho with a 13-2 record, to be promoted to Yokozuna. Both promotion and probable victory are off the table, at this point.

Since Asashoryu is out-of-the-game, for this round, It seems most likely that Yokozuan Hakuho will seize the tournament. His sumo is awsome, this basho! By the way, I would like to commend four rikishi for their outstanding performances today. Salutations go for: Ozeki Chiotaikai, Ozeki Kotomitsuki, Sekiwake Ama and Futeno (Maegashira #3). While today was one smoking hot display of Ozumo, I think these guys really showed excellent form. Asasekiryu's henka victory over Kotoshu was shameless, on-the-other-hand. I know, the Ozeki walked right into it but I feel that Asa should have met him toe-to-toe. Even so, a win is a win...

Later Guys, Jon Palombi
    Last edited by jonpalombi; 20th July 2008 at 02:54.

Likes (received)

Post Hmmm...

Nice start to the basho, but it rapidly became clear that Kotooshu's yusho in Tokyo was a freak event. He rarely looked confident in Nagoya and had some pretty weak losses.

Hakuho looked very composed and strong throughout and deserved his zensho yusho.

Hate him or hate him , basho are just not very exciting without Asashoryu. Speaking of which, he will need to raise his game enormously to win a yusho during the balance of 2008. The old days are gone.

On a brighter note, Toyonoshima looked good and if his back's not too damaged we ought to see some great sumo from him in September.

John McCulloch

Likes (received)

Thumbs up I couldn't agree with you more!

Quote Originally Posted by John McCulloch View Post
    Hakuho looked very composed and strong throughout and deserved his zensho yusho.

Hate him or hate him , basho are just not very exciting without Asashoryu. Speaking of which, he will need to raise his game enormously to win a yusho during the balance of 2008. The old days are gone.

John McCulloch
    Good Evening John,
    Yes, Yokozuna Hakuho deserves many accolades for his dominant yusho victory in Nagoya. Sometimes he reminds me of a young Takanohana. And yes, without Yokozuna Asashoryu's pressence, the basho is much less dramatic. After all, fierce rivalries between the Ozekis and Yokozunas are one of the greatest highlights to any tournament. Thank God that Asashoryu's string of all-too-easy Yusho victories are behind him. It has always bothered me that he has almost effortlessly caught up to the great Yokozuna Takanohana's record of 22 Emperor's Cups. Like you said, "The old days are gone." I hope Asa is well enough to compete in September's Tokyo Basho. Personally, I'd love to see Hakuho kick his butt (eight out of ten times).

See you from across the Dohyo, Jon Palombi
    Last edited by jonpalombi; 30th July 2008 at 05:23.

Likes (received)

Default Hakuho wins

well, it's Hakuho with 15-0

jun carino
    Marikina HS Judo Club