Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tomiki Kata History

Likes (received)

Default Tomiki Kata History

My teacher was in Fugakukai then Jiyushinkai. Besides the 17, In our dojo we practiced the "Big 10" owaza ju pon. Doing research it seems as though other Tomiki organizations do not practice this kata. Is this right?

Does anyone know the origin of this kata? Who are the major contributors? When was it developed? Anything else interesting you heard about it - or read about it on the bathroom wall?

Thanks,

EPearson

Likes (received)

Hi Eric,

We are in Aikido America International, and we do the Big 10 as well. Interestingly, while we still call it the Big 10, Dr. Kondo has added Osoto Gari (#11), and Seio Nage (#12) from his judo background. As far as origins, all I've heard is that they concluded that the randori no kata left people a bit at a loss at attacks from distance greater than ma-ai. On a personal note, I really struggled with the first four until I matched my steps exactly to mirror uke's. Then the throws almost did themselves. Timing was everything.

Steve
    Steve Baroody

Likes (received)

I received this information...

It was developed by Kagure-sensei as a method for packing a lot of information into a short period of time.

EPearson
    Last edited by Eric Pearson; 13th July 2008 at 21:49. Reason: forgot that stupid signing with your name rule

Mark Murray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Pearson View Post
    I received this information...

It was developed by Kagure-sensei as a method for packing a lot of information into a short period of time.

EPearson
    Eric,
    Read your edit reason. IF your logon name is your real name, you don't have to sign your name on each post. It already shows. Like mine.

Likes (received)

Hi Eric,

With further inquiry I found the same info about Kagure Sensei. Apparently, it was in the early '70s, and was intended to teach techniques from outside ma-ai.

Steve Baroody
    Steve Baroody

Likes (received)

Default more big 10 questions

Does anyone know why the name of the fifth technique in Big 10 is listed as "aikinage" and not irimi-nage which is how it shows up in the rest of the Tomiki koryu?

Likes (received)

In my experience, the 5th technique is referred to elsewhere as ai gamae ate. I think its called aiki nage in the Big 10 because doing it with the tenkan makes it so much easier.
    Steve Baroody

Likes (received)

Default Aikinage

Mr. Lowry, I've only got a hypothosis (so I'll be inquiring of my seniors), but throughout the Tomiki syllabus the naming of waza is generally indicative or instructive of the primary principle being explored in that waza. Example: "oshi taoshi" instead of "ude osae", the focus of causing a "topple" of the body instead of dropping (or is it supressing or lowering?) of the arm. If we go from that assumption, then the focus of aikinage could be an exploration of ki-musubi in an attached tenkan dynamic. Whereas in the koryu the primary emphasis would be on the irimi principle. In each technique both principles are present & active, but the educational emphasis or purpose is different.
    Matthew White
    Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
    Oklahoma City, OK

Likes (received)

very interesting Matthew-- i like the definitional analysis approach -- love to hear more -- thank you

Likes (received)

Default Tomiki Aikido

Could anyone tell me more about Tomiki Aikido? How does this differ from Aikikai Aikido? Can anyone recommend a website where I might find out more.

Likes (received)

They are pretty much the same, except we have a better hockey team.

I might suggest youtubing so you can see what the subtle differences are. Remember like Aikikai, there is aa extreme range of variation in the Tomiki world. We tend to go from the roughest and hardest in Aikido to the opposite extreme of the softest and reactive.

Likes (received)

The basic upshot is that Tomiki and a handfull of others put together a training syllabus of kata that to teach in a certain way, then developed a competetive system for testing the students' abilities and to market the art outside of Japan. It's basically just a different way to teach the stuff.
    Matthew White
    Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
    Oklahoma City, OK