Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kumogakure ryu

Likes (received)

Default Kumogakure ryu

I have practiced Bujinkan before and there is something that I'm still wondering, I never got to ask this when practicing and I wish that I did. I know that the taijutsu of Kumogakure ryu is very similar to that of Togakure ryu, however there are alot of techniques, like survival and otherwise, lighting fires in different climates, headbutting with a demon mask, maybe even the story behind the masks themselves that I never heard anyone learned. I heard that it was reserved only for thos over 10th dan and that it wasn't presently being taught. Any ideas as to why?

Likes (received)

because soke didn't want to teach it
    Dean Eichler der Zweite
    Bujinkan Keiko Dojo
    Owner www.korisuya.com Ninjutsu tools

Likes (received)

because that's the kind of stuff that A) frauds will go nuts for and B) young / immature people / idiots will use it to go and be retarded out in normal, everyday situations. I don't think Hatsumi wants more idiotic people tarnishing the art using knowledge that should be treasured.
    Cory Burke
    ゴゴゴ!

Likes (received)

Default wel...

I am reading that the art is almost in extinction due to the fact that "he doesn't want to teach it." I understand that he doesn't want to teach something that others would use in a bad way, however, any martial art can be used in a stupid way by "retards." Soke believes in the vaule of his art, and the budo way, I sincerely doubt that he allows retards to affect his actions very much. It's budo, it would be taught like budo, with spirit, not stupidity, right? It's just like teaching karate as a sport because you don't want to have anybody use it badly if you taught them real karate. Teachers who stand true to tradition won't teach it as a sport, it's against their belief in the value of it, the true meaning of karate. Maybe you're, right, though, I'm not soke, maybe i'll ask him next year when I go to honbu. However, is there any written source about why this has happened? it would be a shame to lose such a treasure as kumogakure ryu.

Likes (received)

for what it's worth i think most of kumogakure is lost as well. it's been a long time since i heavily researched the ninpo ryuha but i remember reading from a few trusted sources that most of kumogakure's techniques have been lost or have been reconstructed recently, though there are definitely some things that survived such as watching the clouds on a moonlit night to know when to walk, or the special metal rods worn under the jacket sleeves, etc.
    Cory Burke
    ゴゴゴ!

Likes (received)

for what it's worth i think most of kumogakure is lost as well. it's been a long time since i heavily researched the ninpo ryuha but i remember reading from a few trusted sources that most of kumogakure's techniques have been lost or have been reconstructed recently, though there are definitely some things that survived such as watching the clouds on a moonlit night to know when to walk, or the special metal rods worn under the jacket sleeves, etc.
    From what i was told years ago by a Genbukan high grade. Kumogakure Ryu was a scroll that Takamatsu found and reconstructed it.

Whether this is true or not, who knows.

Garth

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Arthur View Post
    From what i was told years ago by a Genbukan high grade. Kumogakure Ryu was a scroll that Takamatsu found and reconstructed it.

Garth
    There are still:

Gyokko Ryu Kosshijutsu
    Kukishin Ryu Taijutsu
    Shindenfudo Ryu Dakentaijutsu
    Koto Ryu Koppojutsu
    Takagi Yoshin Ryu Jutaijutsu

Which have a very "complete" set of kata's, so even if the "ninjutsu" schools are a reconstruction, there is plenty of stuff to learn .
    "Dulce Bellum Inexpertis"

Dimitrios Tsigakos
    Bujinkan Shidoshi

Likes (received)

Which have a very "complete" set of kata's, so even if the "ninjutsu" schools are a reconstruction, there is plenty of stuff to learn .
    Dont forget that there is ninjutsu in Kukishin Ryu too.

I´ve heard similar stories regarding Togakure Ryu as well but i wouldnt put too much into it. Its like people claiming there isnt much swordwork in the Bujinkan. Just because it is not openly taught at every class doesnt mean its non-existing...

Regards / Skuggvarg
    Richard Maier
    Bujinkan Kasuga Dojo
    Kasuga Dojo Teaser clip

Likes (received)

I dont remember exactly what book its in, but I was under the impression, Kumogakure ryu was one that came from Toda-sensei. Ill look after painting.
    Jon Gillespie

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Arthur View Post

Garth
    I have not heard anything on this.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

George

I'll PM you

Garth