Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ippon requirements

Likes (received)

Default Ippon requirements

It's probably in the fine print of the rules somewhere but why was Mammadli's throw given as ippon? I always thought you had to be thrown clean on to your back and Wang Kichun seems to manage a somewhat risky head breakfall!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olym...do/7554076.stm

Mind you - it's a stunning throw that deserves to win!
    Giles Chamberlin
    http://www.jujutsu.org.uk

Likes (received)

You must be under the misguided impression that the referees in Olympic Judo are actually Judo referees. An ippon in the Olympics depends on where the players are from, not if they actually execute properly a Judo technique.

In my days of competition, in the remote past, we would throw our opponent onto the tatami as hard and violent as possible without killing them, and then drive them into the tatami a little more, just so the loud slamming sound, hand slapping and kiai from the opponent would not go unnoticed by the blind referees. Now, after the introduction of Judo in the Olympics all that changed. Now an ippon is a political point.

BTW, I can't view the video because the Communist Chinese are censoring Internet in certain countries, namely most freedom loving nations.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by DustyMars View Post
    You must be under the misguided impression that the referees in Olympic Judo are actually Judo referees. An ippon in the Olympics depends on where the players are from, not if they actually execute properly a Judo technique.

In my days of competition, in the remote past, we would throw our opponent onto the tatami as hard and violent as possible without killing them, and then drive them into the tatami a little more, just so the loud slamming sound, hand slapping and kiai from the opponent would not go unnoticed by the blind referees. Now, after the introduction of Judo in the Olympics all that changed. Now an ippon is a political point.

BTW, I can't view the video because the Communist Chinese are censoring Internet in certain countries, namely most freedom loving nations.
    Addition: Hum, I finally got through the censors and saw what looked like sambo on the blue side and an escape by white, whose back never touched the mat, and the sambo referee called it a Judo ippon. Wow, if they only had stooge referees like that in my days! Just a stinky fart would knock over the opponent and gain me ippon.

Likes (received)

LOL Jeff, you're not bitter are you?

I would have scored that throw waza ari myself, I was surprised at the ippon when I first saw it, and haven't changed my mind.

Judo refereeing the world over is a constant source of bemusement - but by and large, I think these Olympics have been OK so far.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

It's my impression that just about everyone in Olympic judo now does very risky back-arching, "bridge" ukemi, and if the judges didn't call that kind of throw an ippon, we'd be neck-high in judo-for-points crap, rather than waist high as we are now. In a sense, I don't mind that being an ippon -- it was a clean throw, and had it been an actual fight, Wang would have been in just as bad a position as if his back had touched. The sportificaton of judo has simply led to ridiculous acrobatic ukemi the sole purpose of which is to by any means avoid the back touching the ground.

In other news, Mammadli's celebration upon getting the win was (and I hardly ever use this word) appalling. Of course, it was hardly unusual for Olympic judo. I don't do judo, but I respect the hell out of what Kano tried to create, and it saddens me that his design has been so corrupted.
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, žonne he ęt guše gengan ženceš longsumne lof, na ymb his lif cearaš. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

Since when has the BBC been owned by China?
    Jim Boone

Flick Lives!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilliams View Post
    LOL Jeff, you're not bitter are you?

I would have scored that throw waza ari myself, I was surprised at the ippon when I first saw it, and haven't changed my mind.

Judo refereeing the world over is a constant source of bemusement - but by and large, I think these Olympics have been OK so far.
    No, not bitter; just practical. To me all Olympic Judo has turned to sambo or some form of wrestling. While I haven't seen a lot of the Olympics, the net gets sloooooow, I am a veteran and do not have much love for Communists, either they be in our Congress or in China. Will get around to seeing videos later on when the Net speeds up.

Likes (received)

Likes (received)

Default Just Love an Ippon!

Here's one of our gang in my days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuIr1tbA3l0

De ashi!!!! Wow and they said it was to basic. Ben was hurt and failed to continue to the gold, but he defeated the All-Japan Champ and Olympic Gold Medal winner in the 1973 pre-Olympics -- with his great uchimata.

Likes (received)

Some good action in the men's 90kgs today, with two excellent scores in the bronze medal matches.

Jeff - keep an eye on www.judovision.org, and look out for the Egyptian player's bronze medal fight (it's not up yet, but should be there later today or tomorrow). OK, it was a Te Guruma pickup, so might be a bit sambo-ey for your tastes, but by god it was a huge ippon. Hopefully it will restore your faith a little.

Just don't watch the final, which was decided by a single shido.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

I saw this coming:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Yeah, call it Judo or voodoo, the refereeing sucks.

Likes (received)

I saw this coming:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Yeah, call it Judo or voodoo, the refereeing sucks.
    So I take it that's not normally called ippon? I thought it was rather odd that no part of his back above the belt touched the ground.
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, žonne he ęt guše gengan ženceš longsumne lof, na ymb his lif cearaš. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

I wouldn't fancy fighting this guy:

215 Kgs

Mat Rous

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reyer View Post
    So I take it that's not normally called ippon? I thought it was rather odd that no part of his back above the belt touched the ground.
    I must have lost touch with the rules long ago but some of the calls I see would not even be considered when I officiated. Like Ronda doing a semi-roll out when the referee called ippon and she lost. I just close my eyes. Still have not see that video.

Likes (received)

Finally saw a Little of the videos and conclude that Olympic Judo now uses free style wrestling rules. Sorry to the younger Judoka here but the current Judo rules suck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast