Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Seeking Info On Some Old Sensei

Likes (received)

Default Seeking Info On Some Old Sensei

Hello one and all.

I am not sure if this really is the best place to put this, but as I can't find anywhere better it will have to do for now.

A few years ago one of my Sensei passed away and I along with his son (the inheritor of his style) have been trying to re-trace the lineage of a few of our missing links. Brian Wrightson (Kancho) studied under a number of sensei between about 1956 and the mid to late 1970's. Now being a man of few words, Brian rarely ever spoke about his early training, the names of his Sensei or the styles he studied. In-fact it was only after his death that the true experience of a great man came to light, with old menkyo, Certificates, photographs and personal journals.

YES, I have tried using all the main search engines, national newspapers, friends finders, martial arts associations and every other avenue of search.

If anybody out there could help me with this I would be extreamly thankfull, as it would mean that the Momorial page for Brian wrightson Kancho could be finished, and his memory and deads recorded for all.

I will appologise now for the numerous spelling mistakes with the names of the Sensei and the styles they taught, the handwriting in the personal journals is rather faded after about sixty years.

Anyway here goes.

The name of my Sensei was Brian Wrightson. Born in northern england, during his later years he use dthe Suffix Kancho (Headmaster) rather than the term sensei, Soke, Shihan etc.

The names of the individuals we are searching for are as follows, training took place sometime between 1956 - 1973:

Sargent. Clive T Winstanley (U.S.A.F) (Judo / Kempo)

Sasua Kabasu & Katsu Hanatubi (Shorinji Kempo)

David Tse & David Turner (Iai-Jutsu)

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Taran McCarnun Sensei
    "You call me Ronin because I serve no Master... I am my own Master"

Likes (received)

You might get better responses if you go to the Shorinji Kempo sub-forum (just scroll down a bit from this one) and ask the folks there about Sasua Kabasu and Katsu Hanatubi. As far as David Tse and David Turner go, do you have any idea what style of iai-jutsu they taught? Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu would be one of the most common, for example. A post on the sword arts sub-forum might be useful. Good luck.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Taran, your profile linked to a site that has listed ''Junsei Ryu is a modern system of Aiki-Ju-Jutsu based heavily on the traditional teaching methods of the Japanese Koryu (Old Schools).'' Do you know which Koryu(s) this is based on, this may help your search for information.
    Paul Greaves
    ''Skill is aquired via sweat equity''

Likes (received)

Thanks for the replies folks.

With regards to which Koryu the Junsei Ryu lineage can be traced back to, regretably they are not directly associated with the individual Sensei I am researching as without further information on those Sensei they are effectivly out of the loop. Still I can but hope.

With regards to which Iai-Jutsu system David Tse Sensei and David Turner Sensei studied and taught it is a mystery.

Other Sensei within our lineage studied Muso Shinden Ryu (And their hundreds of sub styles! lol) Nippon Kempo Kokusai Iai under tsuyoshi Haybayashi? and Daito Ryu to name but a few. I know that Kancho did study a style of Sakura-Batto that was allegedly associated with a Meiji period group of ultra-nationalist former Samurai... but that is probably not going to be the easiest thing to get many Sensei to admit to following the rather negative actions WW2 (To say the least)

Thanks to you help, I will keep trying

Taran McCarnun
    Last edited by TheBlackRonin; 14th August 2008 at 15:16.

Likes (received)

Hello there everybody

I would just like to thanks everybody who has/Is helping me out with my research regarding the old Sensei of Brian wrightson Kancho. For anybody interested I have created a VERY simple memorial page for him on my website; although it is far from complete.

If anybody is interested in taking a look the address is as follows

http://www.black-ronin.com/id70.html

Thanks once again

Taran McCarnun

Likes (received)

Dear Taran,
    I had a visit to the site and liked its simplicity. You must have loved him so much for what he meant to you. I like this relationship you share with him. It is honorable and I pay my respects to you and your Sensei.
    Wish you the best.
    MAXWELL JUDE ANTHONY
    WORLD SHORINJI KEMPO ORGANIZATION
    BRANCH MASTER - INDIA, CHENNAI

Likes (received)

Dear Kongozen

Thank you for taking the time to look at the memorial page dedicated to someone I know to be an exceptional man. It brings me great joy that the name of Brian Wrightson (Kancho) is known to other Sensei, and all the way to India.

Thank you for your thoughts, my best wishes go with you

Taran McCarnun

Likes (received)

Dear Taran,
    My name is Maxwell and you can call me Max.
    Please do keep in touch and if you are visiting India, please visit us at Chennai.
    Give me more information on your art, dojo, students and life style.
    Take care
    MAXWELL JUDE ANTHONY
    WORLD SHORINJI KEMPO ORGANIZATION
    BRANCH MASTER - INDIA, CHENNAI

Likes (received)

Hi there Max

Sorry for my slow response to your last message, I have been busy organising this weekends student grading. Should be a good one if the current training standard holds up to it!

I am happy to keep in touch, and rest asured if I am ever in India, I will look you up.

With regrads to my Dojo, Students and lifestyle, I will give you a brief Run-down here, but will send you a more detailed private message as soon as I get the chance.

I have been a student of the martial-arts for a little over 26 years (I am now 31). I have for the majority of my life as a martial-artist studied various Ju-Jutsu and Aiki-Ju-Jutsu, although I also undertook "Complimentary studies" of Nippon Kempo, Karate-Jutsu and a little Kung-Fu (White Crane). Whilst I have always firmly remained a Ju-Jutsuka at heart my senior Sensei (Kancho and his son) always insisted that I should broaden my understanding of the combat methods used by other styles, in order to become effective at combating them (Should the need ever arise).

I am a dedicated family man, Married to my gorgeous Wife with four children (One Boy, three girls).

My martial-arts study has undoubtebly moulded the path of my life, and as I grow older I find it of ever increasing importance. Second to my martial-arts life and family Is my own religious/Personal faith. I was raised in a devout Pagan family and was always encouraged to respect the world about me, nature and the spirits of my ancestors equally.

This is the tennet to which I have dedicated my life... "Life should be lived in balance, when we take we must give, when we destroy we must create, when we teach we must also learn"

I hope that this gives you a brief insight into who I am

best regards

Taran