Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Picture at Hombu

Likes (received)

Default Picture at Hombu

Just wanted to share my good news and a pic of me taken on Sunday (8/31) at Hombu.

This is me, holding my 1st dan black belt certificate. It was a bit intimidating to jump from the local doin for the kyu tests, to hombu, and see all the gold shoulder patches. YIKES! But it was a great experience and I look forward to the next dan test!!!

It was kind of cool to have it presented by So Yuki at Hombu.

But I enjoyed it more last night, amongst the boxes and papers (we are in the process of moving- our doin is being destroyed and replaced with a new one), at our doin when our doin master Kubo-sensei presented us (training partner and I) with our newly earned black obi.

Rob,

I remember you telling me that you were not allowed to take part in randori as part of your exam because you were over 40. In my case (also over 40), we are given the option, "don't have to but can if you want". (I did) I have also heard though that if there are an "odd number of partners" or too many examinees, that people over 40 will be told that they cannot do it. (I am not sure whether the rules are different for overseas kenshi, ???)

Cheers

Peter
    Peter

Likes (received)

Congratulations Peter,

I'll skype you for a chat in the coming days.

Can't believe it's already 1 year since we met!!!
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by diamondpete View Post
    This is me, holding my 1st dan black belt certificate.
    A big congratulations, omedettougozaimashita. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by diamondpete View Post
    I remember you telling me that you were not allowed to take part in randori as part of your exam because you were over 40. In my case (also over 40), we are given the option, "don't have to but can if you want". (I did) I have also heard though that if there are an "odd number of partners" or too many examinees, that people over 40 will be told that they cannot do it. (I am not sure whether the rules are different for overseas kenshi, ???)
    It is the same rule for WSKO kenshi, if you are over 40 you have the option to do randori at your exam, but I have heard examples of if there is an od number that the examiners rather not want you to do it since it will cause them "trouble" to get people paried up.

/Anders
    Anders Pettersson
    www.shorinjikempo.net - www.shorinjikempo.se
    半ばは自己の幸せを、半ばは他人の幸せを - 宗 道臣
    "Nakaba wa jiko no shiawase wo, nakaba wa hito no shiawase wo" - So Doshin

Likes (received)

Default Congratulations

Gassho!

Congratulations and well done!

Kesshu,
    ______ Jan.
    Jan Lipsius
    少林寺拳法
    Shorinjikempo
    Humboldt University Berlin Branch

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Gandhi

Likes (received)

Congratulations Peter.
    Cheers
    Colin Linz

Likes (received)

Congrats Peter!
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Omedeto gozaimashita Pete.
    David Dunn
    Cambridge Dojo
    BSKF

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Pettersson View Post
    It is the same rule for WSKO kenshi, if you are over 40 you have the option to do randori at your exam, but I have heard examples of if there is an od number that the examiners rather not want you to do it since it will cause them "trouble" to get people paried up.
    A tiny bit more information:

If you are given the option and choose to do randori, any marks deducted for the randori section are (naturally enough) deducted from your overall mark. In the past I've been asked as an interpreter to explain to examinees the risk that if their techniques are ok - just - but their randori turns out to be bad, choosing to do the randori could turn their marginal pass into a marginal fail.

In any case, congratulations!
    Aran Lunzer
    Sapporo, Japan

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    A tiny bit more information:

If you are given the option and choose to do randori, any marks deducted for the randori section are (naturally enough) deducted from your overall mark. In the past I've been asked as an interpreter to explain to examinees the risk that if their techniques are ok - just - but their randori turns out to be bad, choosing to do the randori could turn their marginal pass into a marginal fail.

In any case, congratulations!
    so how about if your techniques are poor, but you are great at randoori ?
    Indar Picton-Howell
    印打
    Abujavol

Likes (received)

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Rob,

Anders-sensei's comments make sense, but I seem to recall you saying how disappointed you that you were not allowed do randori after having lugged your gear from Australia.

Did I misremember?

Cheers

Peter
    Peter

Likes (received)

Peter,

I already had the do and head gear on when told I could not do randori. Communication was difficult as i did not speak japanese and the examiner did not speak english.

My take on it was that the Examiner did not want a fit, young, Japanese kenshi being beaten by a greying overweight gaijin --- how demoralising .

On a serious note - The day of my grading, it was 40 degrees celcius and very humid. I sweat a lot at the best of times and coming from a Melbourne winter to 40 degrees, I was just pouring sweat. I think that the examiner took this as a sign that I was tired and struggling and thus the reason for not letting me do randori. The reality is that I was pumped and ready to go and would have had no difficulty with randori.

Cheers,
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

SO basically it could have been any of the reasons offered (by Anders-sensei) above mixed in with a language problem, or that they were worried you might dropped from heat exhaustion.

Gottcha. This year I was lucky as it was only about 28 - 29 and there was a breeze but by the time we got to the randori section ALL of looked ready to drop dead from a heart attack.

While, the cooler weather was good, it removed the main weapon in my arsenal, Ase-nuki (汗) and I had to fall back on second best skill, giri-nuki (義理).

LOL

Cheers

Peter
    Peter

Likes (received)

I have to say that is a really good photo. Congrats.
    Raul Rodriguez
    Shorinji Kempo New York City Branch

http://www.ShorinjiKempoNYC.org

Likes (received)

thanks,

mostly effects rather than photograghy skill, B + W with a blur around the edges

Cheers

peter
    Peter

Likes (received)

Congratulations on your accomplishment.
    Terry Miller

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast