Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Soto Uke Dan Zuki

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Likes (received)

Default Soto Uke Dan Zuki

Just wondering how the rest of the world performs this hokei.

In Melbourne, until recently, we have performed it as follows:

From migi ichiji gamae - hidari soto uke followed by migi chudan jun zuki and hidari chudan gyaku zuki.

However, in the instructional DVD, I note that the jun zuki is not performed. The technique is:

From migi ichiji gamae - hidari soto uke followed by hidari chudan gyaku zuki.

Which version is correct?
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gassin View Post
    Just wondering how the rest of the world performs this hokei.

In Melbourne, until recently, we have performed it as follows:

From migi ichiji gamae - hidari soto uke followed by migi chudan jun zuki and hidari chudan gyaku zuki.

However, in the instructional DVD, I note that the jun zuki is not performed. The technique is:

From migi ichiji gamae - hidari soto uke followed by hidari chudan gyaku zuki.

Which version is correct?
    Hi Rob,
    definitely the latter. The first way is soto uke zuki renhanko. It should be hidari soto uke, hidari chudan uchi zuki. The 'dan' refers to using the same hand twice in a row, like the dan ko-bo of byakuren ken embu (i.e. defend and counter with the same limb).
    David Dunn
    Cambridge Dojo
    BSKF

Likes (received)

Thanks David.
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

Hi Rob,

We have always done it the second way (Newcastle and Sydney, I'm not sure about Brisbane)
    Cheers
    Colin Linz

Likes (received)

Lightbulb Block and punch with same hand

Dear All

Gassho

Dave is entirely correct, dan-zuki means block and counter with same hand.

I asked one of the 8th dan instructors about this technique in Paris at the 2001 Taikai, as I really struggled to see the point of it and uchi-age dan zuki which is so similar as to make you wonder about the duality.

He explained that it was a technique where the other hand was engaged ie holding your wife's hand, holding a fu'kll pint of beer or being held and restrained by a 2nd attacker.

He also explained that soto uke or uchi age was dependant upon distance and space in which you, the defender, have to manouvre, he stated that uchi age is far more close proximity but that both techniques have to be done with little or no footwork just tai sabaki.

He made us practice from hiraki with front hand striking and taigamae with back hand doing all the work, he also made someone hang onto our other arm so we couldn't use it or move.

Interestingly he also said that ren han ko should not be with the "other" arm but with a foot or knee strike as you have to assume that you still have only one arm to deal with the attacker and finish them off.

Try it, you might like it, I did and I now understand and value this hokei dearly.

Kesshu
    A man with small testes should never get involved in a fight requiring cojones

Likes (received)

Gassho!

Great explanation!

In western boxing you can sometimes see soto uke dan zuki but applied with age kagi zuki (uppercut). Often this happens in close range.

Johan Frendin