Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Club, inter-club and National (Federation or Association) communication

Likes (received)

Question Club, inter-club and National (Federation or Association) communication

Dear All

Gassho

The new committee of the BSKF is currently undergoing work on the BSKF website with a view to incorporating such features as RSS feeds and text messages to member's (who have signed up on line) mobile phones.

The idea is to clear lines of communication and ensure an all informed group to maximize attendance at training events and seminars.

Which raised an interesting question, how many clubs have an e-mail list which is current and regularly maintained and updated for communication with their kenshi?

We are already using sites like Facebook for arranging events and hosting bulletin boards but what else are people using?

All bright ideas will be gratefully received and plagiarised.

Kesshu
    A man with small testes should never get involved in a fight requiring cojones

Likes (received)

At Imperial we have an email list of active and recent kenshi through which we propagate information and news. This is a useful complement to Facebook for those people who prefer not to use Facebook for various reasons.

Re the BSKF website, I've wondered in the past whether there would be value in having a member's section - say you log in with a kenshi number and a password. This could provide anything from downloadable standard forms and event applications to being extended up as far as an attendance database, discussion forum, photo and report archive, separate club sections... anything people want. With the standard change of password via email method, this shouldn't demand too much of anyone's time once set up... Furthermore, a successful template could then be used by other federations, and maybe integrated with WSKO to eventually simplify their administration and allow people's time and money to be put to better uses (looking way ahead here).

Communication is certainly essential in getting things done; 2-way communication is an added bonus!
    John Ryan
    Shorinji Kempo
    Imperial Dojo

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ade View Post
    Dear All
    Which raised an interesting question, how many clubs have an e-mail list which is current and regularly maintained and updated for communication with their kenshi?
    I have a database where I put all new kenshi and it only includes full name and email address, and date added to the database - I did not want to get into the nightmare of maintaining things like their current rank, phone numbers, addresses, etc. I created a private web application for all members so that they too can access this mailing list. The general rule is no one is allowed to distribute the email list to anyone outside of the dojo nor use this list for non-branch related solicitation. We are here to create an ideal world, not buy life insurance.

About 2 or 3 times a year, I clean it out with the rule being that if I have not seen you in class for several months then you will be deactivated - I never delete them in case they come back or wish to invite non-practicing members to demonstrations or events.

I tried publishing a frequent newsletter but ran out of things to say and it was too much work. At a Federation level this would work well.

Several years ago I created a private area on our website that only our members can access and things like videos of our recent demonstrations, photos, documents, study aids etc. That was not too much work and its not searchable. Facebook is nice but for now I rather keep it simple otherwise I could easily be bombarded by lots of questions for support.

Incidentally we are testing electronic tuition payment to make the book keeping easier. That seems to be working well.
    Raul Rodriguez
    Shorinji Kempo New York City Branch

http://www.ShorinjiKempoNYC.org

Likes (received)

Lightbulb Electronic payment?

Quote Originally Posted by luar View Post
    Incidentally we are testing electronic tuition payment to make the book keeping easier. That seems to be working well.
    Gassho

Please explain I'm fascinated.

Kesshu

Ade
    A man with small testes should never get involved in a fight requiring cojones

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ade View Post
    Gassho

Please explain I'm fascinated.

Kesshu

Ade
    I'll send you a PM on the details as I don't think I should be revealing too much here but in summary we have a bank account which has a service that allows you to send an email invoice. I would then register a online account with that bank and then create a link to my bank to transfer the funds. I am sure there are services that allow you to manage those funds electronically. Right now the invoice sent to me is not only for tuition costs but also for things I ordered from Ozaki through the branch.
    Raul Rodriguez

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by luar View Post
    I'll send you a PM on the details as I don't think I should be revealing too much here but in summary we have a bank account which has a service that allows you to send an email invoice. I would then register a online account with that bank and then create a link to my bank to transfer the funds. I am sure there are services that allow you to manage those funds electronically. Right now the invoice sent to me is not only for tuition costs but also for things I ordered from Ozaki through the branch.
    Wouldn't PayPal be simpler?

Dirk

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by dirk.bruere View Post
    Wouldn't PayPal be simpler?

Dirk
    Money transfers to and from PayPal are slow.
    Raul Rodriguez