Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Personal news/ Gojyu Kai news

Likes (received)

Default Personal news/ Gojyu Kai news

Well it finally happened .... yeah, after 20 years, and some hard pracice I finally reached another mile stone. I received my 5 dan (fifth degree black belt) On my way to the test I struck up a conversation with another Karate-ka and he told me something very interesting. The Gojyu Kai is getting more strict as to who may open a dojo. I guess that in past years they have been a bit laxed. Well, it as been decided that if you would like your dojo to be recognized by the Gijyu kai, you must at least be a 5 Dan.
    I think this is a good move as to try to keep the quality of the art moving up.

Anyway, that's the news for now.
    Mark Posselius

Yep, and the practice goes on!!!

Likes (received)

congratulations for your Godan promotion. BTW who is the head of the Goju-kai now. Is it Master Yamaguchi's daughter, Wakako?
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by john_lord_b3 View Post
    congratulations for your Godan promotion. BTW who is the head of the Goju-kai now. Is it Master Yamaguchi's daughter, Wakako?

Mr. Haryo

Thank you for the congrats! As for who is the head of the Go Jyu Kai .....not actually sure. Sorry. It may be on the official web page of the Go Jyu Kai but the only page that I think would carry that information may be in Japanese ..... I will try to find out if I can.
    Mark Posselius

Likes (received)

Dear Mr. Markaso, I am sorry for causing the inconvenience, I thought you were tested in Japan, because from what I heard, all tests above yondan are taken in Japan. I guess now that there are many Shihan outside Japan, it is possible to be tested for Godan outside Japan.

So, what was the Kata you did for your Godan test, Mr. Markaso? Maybe you did some interesting or rare Kata like the Goju-Kai Hakutsuru Kata?
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

Oops, Mr. Markaso, when I said "Japan" in the previous posting, I meant "Japan Hombu, at the front of the Kaicho of the Goju-Kai". Sorry for not being clear. Sumi masen!

Likes (received)

Dear Mr. Markaso, I am sorry for causing the inconvenience, I thought you were tested in Japan, because from what I heard, all tests above yondan are taken in Japan. I guess now that there are many Shihan outside Japan, it is possible to be tested for Godan outside Japan.

So, what was the Kata you did for your Godan test, Mr. Markaso? Maybe you did some interesting or rare Kata like the Goju-Kai Hakutsuru Kata?
    Mr. Haryo

There has been no inconvenience. I have been in Japan......roughly about 20 years. I have been here since 1986 till now ...... In that time I spent 2 years in Canada without a teacher. All of my tests have been in Japan. As for Yondan and up .... I am pretty sure you can take your tests anywhere. I do know that the Go Jyu Kai has gotten more strict as to what level is supposed be able to open their own Dojo and be recognized as a Go Jyu Kai Dojo. That level is a godan and up.

At my testing there are 5 or 7 judges (5 judges for mine). I know for sure that there was at least 1 hachi dan(8th degree black belt hanshi), 2 nana dan (7th degree) as for the other two ..... not sure. As for the testing in and out of Japan ..... well at least in Japan, up to your San dan (third) you may be tested in you city. Yon Dan (4th) - roku Dan (6th) any where in your district. Nana Dan and up.... anywhere in Japan. It could be roku Dan (6th)and up anywhere in Japan.......but I would have to check on that. I live on the Island of Kyushyu. I had to go to another prefecture for my yon Dan and go Dan, but I was still in Kyushyu.

As for the Kata that I did for the test .... Sanchin,Tenshyou,Seipai.

Hope that clears up a bit of stuff for you.

P.S. My name is Mark Posselius ...... not Markaso.
    Mark Posselius

Likes (received)

Hello Posselius sensei,

thank you for the information regarding the current rank testing procedures in Japan. I am sure most of the high-ranking Yudansha in the Goju-Kai has excellent skills.

Seipai is a wonderful, but very difficult Kata. I never really able to pull it off yet. And now that I am no longer doing Goju, I never had the time to practice it. For my own personal enjoyment, I still do Sanchin, Tensho, Saifa and Sanseru, sometimes Seisan, but not as often as before.

Please pass my regards to all your Dojo-friends in the island of Kyushu.

Likes (received)

Mr. Haryo

Hello Posselius sensei,

thank you for the information regarding the current rank testing procedures in Japan. I am sure most of the high-ranking Yudansha in the Goju-Kai has excellent skills. .

You are welcome for the information. As for the high ranking Yudansha ..... Yes, Most of them do have excellent skill.

Seipai is a wonderful, but very difficult Kata. ..

Yep! It is a real beautiful Kata when everything comes together. But when it doesn't ....... it is a bit frustrating!

I never really able to pull it off yet. And now that I am no longer doing Goju, I never had the time to practice it.

What are you doing these days?

For my own personal enjoyment, I still do Sanchin, Tensho, Saifa and Sanseru, sometimes Seisan, but not as often as before..

I like all the above .....Sanchin is really nice when it is done correctly, Tenshyou also is cool when you get the timing and movement just right. Saifa is one I really like doing as well as Seiyunchin. Sanseiru has been a bit difficult as the Go Jyu Kai , some years ago, changed the Kansetsu geri that I was used to. And the other day I was told that Seisan will be for the Roku Dan (6th) test. I like it but it's not an easy one by any means.
    Last edited by Anders Pettersson; 15th September 2008 at 10:13. Reason: Fixed the code for the broken quotes
    Mark Posselius

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Markaso View Post
    What are you doing these days?
    These days I am doing mainly Wado-ryu Karate-Jujutsu (both arts taught by my main teacher, Mr. Taman).

this is some info about wado-ryu

http://www.wado-ryu.jp

and this is some pictures of my sensei (my picture with him is at the bottom of the page)

http://www.geocities.com/wadokai_indonesia/album.html

Wado-ryu Karate-Jujutsu and Goju-ryu has their own beauty and power. While I prefer Wado-ryu more these days, I still practice many movements of the Goju style, especially the sanchin-tensho routine. It is very good for the body. To supplement my training I am doing some Yang-style Tai Chi and Kuntao (Chinese-Indonesian martial art) as well. BTW, many techniques of Kuntao and Goju-ryu are very similar, and there is also a Sanchin (Saam Chien) Kata in Kuntao.

I like all the above .....Sanchin is really nice when it is done correctly, Tenshyou also is cool when you get the timing and movement just right. Saifa is one I really like doing as well as Seiyunchin. Sanseiru has been a bit difficult as the Go Jyu Kai , some years ago, changed the Kansetsu geri that I was used to. And the other day I was told that Seisan will be for the Roku Dan (6th) test. I like it but it's not an easy one by any means.
    I feel the same way with you, Posselius sensei, regarding Sanchin and Tensho. Saifa and Seiyunchin are very useful, even for non-Goju people, because they are Shiteigata of the JKF, and thus the ability to perform them properly will be a plus in Kata Shiai.

As for the Sanseiru, the version of this Kata I learned was the Okinawan style, not the Goju-Kai style, so I am not very familiar with the new Goju-Kai way of doing the Kansetsugeri. I am sure it will be very confusing if they change the Kansetsugeri movement because this kick appears several times in the Kata. BTW, in the near beginning of the Kata, do you execute two Maegeri going forward, or a jumping nidan tobigeri? I have seen the Kata done either way.

Thank you for the discussions. It is very nice to talk about good Karate with people with the same interests. That's what E-Budo are for

Likes (received)

These days I am doing mainly Wado-ryu Karate-Jujutsu (both arts taught by my main teacher, Mr. Taman).

this is some info about wado-ryu

http://www.wado-ryu.jp

and this is some pictures of my sensei (my picture with him is at the bottom of the page)

http://www.geocities.com/wadokai_indonesia/album.html

Wado-ryu Karate-Jujutsu and Goju-ryu has their own beauty and power. While I prefer Wado-ryu more these days, I still practice many movements of the Goju style, especially the sanchin-tensho routine. It is very good for the body. To supplement my training I am doing some Yang-style Tai Chi and Kuntao (Chinese-Indonesian martial art) as well. BTW, many techniques of Kuntao and Goju-ryu are very similar, and there is also a Sanchin (Saam Chien) Kata in Kuntao.

I feel the same way with you, Posselius sensei, regarding Sanchin and Tensho. Saifa and Seiyunchin are very useful, even for non-Goju people, because they are Shiteigata of the JKF, and thus the ability to perform them properly will be a plus in Kata Shiai.

As for the Sanseiru, the version of this Kata I learned was the Okinawan style, not the Goju-Kai style, so I am not very familiar with the new Goju-Kai way of doing the Kansetsugeri. I am sure it will be very confusing if they change the Kansetsugeri movement because this kick appears several times in the Kata. BTW, in the near beginning of the Kata, do you execute two Maegeri going forward, or a jumping nidan tobigeri? I have seen the Kata done either way.

Thank you for the discussions. It is very nice to talk about good Karate with people with the same interests. That's what E-Budo are for

Mr. Haryo

A good friend of mine use to practice Wado Ryu before he started training in Kyokushin. We used to compare notes on the similarities between Wado Ryu and Go Jyu Ryu. That was a lot of fun to do. But as I said he changed to Kyokushin. His reason was that it was more useful ..... I guess it depends on what you want from your style. Sort of going of that path of what I wanted to say ...... ever drifting.

As for Sanseiru, we do the two maigeri(front snap kick) moving forward while stepping. Hands are crossed near belt level in a double hand block with hands open.

As for Kuntao .... I have heard of it from one alumni of the Karate club at the university where I teach. He came from Jakarta. He is now back there looking at a Go Jyu Ryu Dojo.

Actually I find it very interesting to se a different stylist doing a shiteigata from the Go Jyu Ryu syllabus.

Where I am studying/teaching the Dojo is a Go Jyu Kai as well as a Zen Ku Ren Dojo The Zen Ku Ren, if you didn't know, encompasses several Ryu-ha.
    Most have their version of the go Jyu Ryu Shiteigata ...... very interesting to see indeed.

BTW, you mentioned Sanchin-Tenshyou. I have heard of this as well as seen it done. I thought that was interesting too. In the Go Jyu Kai .... the Kata are performed seperately.

Got to go now but nice having this chat.
    Mark Posselius

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Markaso View Post
    Mr. Haryo

A good friend of mine use to practice Wado Ryu before he started training in Kyokushin. We used to compare notes on the similarities between Wado Ryu and Go Jyu Ryu. That was a lot of fun to do. But as I said he changed to Kyokushin. His reason was that it was more useful ..... I guess it depends on what you want from your style. Sort of going of that path of what I wanted to say ...... ever drifting.
    Well I was a drifter myself, until I hit my mid 30s, it was then I am able to see clearly what I really need, and it is all about enjoying the training

As for Sanseiru, we do the two maigeri(front snap kick) moving forward while stepping. Hands are crossed near belt level in a double hand block with hands open.
    whoa, very similar with what I do!

As for Kuntao .... I have heard of it from one alumni of the Karate club at the university where I teach. He came from Jakarta. He is now back there looking at a Go Jyu Ryu Dojo.
    what a lovely coincidence.. I also live in Jakarta, and I do Kuntao, from Mr. Khu Chen Yong's style and many others.

Actually I find it very interesting to se a different stylist doing a shiteigata from the Go Jyu Ryu syllabus.
    yes, Saifa is a big hit amongst Shotokan and Wado people here, because it is short, sweet, to the point and offers many chances to show off "explosive power" without losing the gracefulness and flow of the Kata.

Where I am studying/teaching the Dojo is a Go Jyu Kai as well as a Zen Ku Ren Dojo The Zen Ku Ren, if you didn't know, encompasses several Ryu-ha.
    Most have their version of the go Jyu Ryu Shiteigata ...... very interesting to see indeed.
    Zenkuren.. Zen Nihon Karatedo Renmei (JKF)?

I have seen Shito-ryu interpretation of Saifa, and I think it is wonderful. Saifa is never officially ported to Wado, but we do have a version of Suparimpei.. which is not a Shiteigata but a Tokuigata. It is a fun, lengthy Kata which is good as a "moving meditation" device.

BTW, you mentioned Sanchin-Tenshyou. I have heard of this as well as seen it done. I thought that was interesting too. In the Go Jyu Kai .... the Kata are performed seperately.
    I have seen it performed in one of those old All-Okinawan demo, so it must be a common feature in the Ryukyus, but maybe not in Japan and the Goju-Kai.

Got to go now but nice having this chat.
    The pleasure is all mine, kind sir.

Likes (received)

Mr. Haryo

Yes, the Zenkuren is the same as the Zen Nihon Karatedo Renmei, just a different wording.

When my friend and I compared notes between Wado Ryu and Go Jyu Ryu I was surprised to see the Wado Ryu's Saifua as compared to The Go Jyu Ryu's Saifua. Very interesting indeed!

Had a long day today.and it is 1:25 am and I am late for bed!

Take care and happy training!!
    Mark Posselius

Likes (received)

Mr. Haryo

I am so sorry for the late reply. What I found out recently is that Rokku Dan and above you must be tested in Japan. Up until Go Dan You may be tested in your own Country.
    Mark Posselius

Likes (received)

I know now that the third Kata that I must do for my Nana Dan, for the Go Jyu Kai test is Kururunfua. Not an easy one at all!
    Mark Posselius

15. Likes CEB liked this post