Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Physical trainer versus a physical therapist

Likes (received)

Default Physical trainer versus a physical therapist

I can see a physical trainer 4 times for less than I could see a physical therapist one time. I need to do some rehab on a shoulder injury. Any thoughts?
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    I can see a physical trainer 4 times for less than I could see a physical therapist one time. I need to do some rehab on a shoulder injury. Any thoughts?
    I am not an expert by any means, but my understanding is that a physical therapist is one who helps you do rehab, while a trainer is who you use to not get hurt in the first place. But I would keep looking for a better answer.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    For getting into shape, getting ready for a specific sport, etc. on uses a physical trainer. They are also trained in first aid, and in some therapeutic modalities for preventing re-injury of injured athletes.

But rehab of a shoulder injury is best done by a physical therapist. (Or, in some states, a massage therapist depending on the type of injury.)

Medical insurance is unlikely to cover a trainer, but will probably cover a therapist.

A physician's referral is the first step, usually.

HTH.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

I saw an orthopedic sports physician who referred me out to see a PT for one visit to get exercises to work. My insurance would not cover PT until my deductible is met. The PT office quoted between $120 and $150 for one session. I could get four visits with a trainer for less than that amournt. I know what my diagnosis is and what the doctor needs me to do. I just do not know how. I was not sure if with that info I could provide a trainer enough information to develop a program to rehab the injury.

Jeff
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

It's possible. Have you called the trainer's office to ask?

While I think $150 is money well spent when it comes to my body, if money was tight I might look for alternatives as you are.

Best of luck.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

I did and of course they said they could take care of that no problem. I am going to try and speak with one trainer I have seen in the gym. I have listened to her sessions and she seems to sound the most informed. If she thinks she can handle the situation I may give it a whirl. I can also get some pointers for my regular workout as well. I do want to avoid going to someone who has no education but has passed a cert course on the internet. If not I will probably break down and got the route of a PT. The pain meds and anti-inflamatory stuff has helped a ton.
    Jeff Brown