Likes Likes:  0

Thread: ....Observe Courtesy.......

Likes (received)

Unhappy ....Observe Courtesy.......

Gassho,

Circumstances have kept me from the dojo for the last two weeks.
    Consequently I thought I might look to this forum for something informative, educational or at least worthwhile.
    Instead I got to witness people I KNOW to be articulate, intelligent and knowledgeable communicate from entrenched, pedantic and ultimately pointless positions. There was no learning to be had.
    On the topic of self-defence there was lots of what you'd do but nothing to say what you do in training to make it effective. There was lots of 'that won't work' but little to specify that techniques have different versions or apply to different circumstances or even body types and genders.
    On the subject of 'Old School' there was the assumption that every dojo is the same, or teaches the same. (Even Hombu teaches differently at different times). Then it descended into 'across the garden fence' slanging matches.
    On the evidence of what I read, if I was a new-comer with a bit of knowledge I wouldn't give Shorinji another second of my time.
    It all came across as puerile and very sad.
    Kesshu

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by paul browne View Post
    On the topic of self-defence there was lots of what you'd do but nothing to say what you do in training to make it effective.
    Kihon - lots of it.
    As for the rest, join in and post more yourself. You obviously have opinions and questions.

Dirk

Likes (received)

Gassho,

Hi Dirk,

The above wasn't aimed at you, you were playing nice.
    Some of the others were indulging in 'I said...you said' arguments that make us look like sqaubbling adolescents and is frankly embarrassing. We frequently put ourselves on a pedestal in comparison to other Budo and then constantly topple off of it.
    As to the number of posts, I thought i probably post too much

Agree with Kihon up to a point....not sure it's enough though, I'll post separately on that (that'll teach you!!)

Paul

Likes (received)

Gassho,

Hi Dirk,

The above wasn't aimed at you, you were playing nice.
    Some of the others were indulging in 'I said...you said' arguments that make us look like sqaubbling adolescents and is frankly embarrassing. We frequently put ourselves on a pedestal in comparison to other Budo and then constantly topple off of it.
    As to the number of posts, I thought i probably post too much

Agree with Kihon up to a point....not sure it's enough though, I'll post separately on that (that'll teach you!!)

Paul
    Paul and Dirk,

Posting too much or not enough is relative. Dirk posts at a rate of 0.92/d, Paul at 0.31/d. If I use myself as a yardstick (0.68/d), then Dirk is right, Paul should post more. But then again , it would mean that Dirk posts too much .

In jest (in case anyone one thinks I am having a go - can never be too careful these days )

Rob
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gassin View Post
    Paul and Dirk,

Posting too much or not enough is relative. Dirk posts at a rate of 0.92/d, Paul at 0.31/d. If I use myself as a yardstick (0.68/d), then Dirk is right, Paul should post more. But then again , it would mean that Dirk posts too much .

In jest (in case anyone one thinks I am having a go - can never be too careful these days )

Rob
    Hi Rob,
    i wouldn't misunderstand, you're one of he good guys.
    Maybe I was being a bit harsh, it's been a rough week, but I stand by most of what I wrote.
    Hope the worlds well down there.

Paul

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gassin View Post
    Paul and Dirk,

Rob
    I tend to post in bursts, which reflects a combination of interest in the topic and amount of free time on the computer when I'm just messing around. Right now there's a lull in work, so more posting.

Dirk

Likes (received)

Hi Rob,
    i wouldn't misunderstand, you're one of he good guys.
    Maybe I was being a bit harsh, it's been a rough week, but I stand by most of what I wrote.
    Hope the worlds well down there.

Paul
    Paul,

I think your post was most reasonable and justifiable.

I was just being a smart@#*#.

Cheers, Rob
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"