Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Listing of Okinawan Karate Ryuha

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nyuck3X View Post

Did your teacher learn through the Uehara line or the Chosei Motobu line? Not that it matters, I was just curious...
    He learned from Seitoku Higa Who studied under motobu Choyo wsu Motobu Choshin wsu Motobu Chogi wsu motobu Choshyo etc etc.

Likes (received)

Last edited by Xenophon456; 30th December 2008 at 00:34.

Likes (received)

Xenophon456 wrote: 'He learned from Seitoku Higa Who studied under Motobu Choyo'.

Seitoku Higa was founder of the Bugeikan school of martial arts and did not study under Choyu Motobu, he studied with Seikichi Uehara from 1961 and established the Bugeikan martial arts school in 1968, which is now, and has been for some time run by his son Kiyohiko Higa.

The Bugeikan is not a style but more of a collection of various arts that have since been incorporated into something called Seido. Seikichi Uehara was not Seitoku Higa's first teacher, who was in fact Soko Kishomoto of the so called Takemura Shuri Te line. Seitoku Higa was awarded a Shihan Grade by Kanken Toyama (who has already been mentioned in this thread). In fact Seitoku Higa who himself passed away in 2006 had several teachers.

Motobu Ryu was established as a style by Seikichi Uehara in 1947 on the basis of what he had learnt from Choyu Motobu between July 1916 until his migration to Manila in the Philippines on the 24th December 1926, returning to Okinawa in 1947. The correct title of Uehara's art is Motobu Ryu Udun Di.

In 1979 Chosei Motobu (Choki Motobu's son) was first taught for 10 days by Seikichi Uehara and then on a number of occassions after that and he now officially heads both of the Motobu family styles, that of the Daidokan Dojo (established by Choki Motobu) and Motobu Udun Di (established by Seikichi Uehara on the basis of what he learnt from Choyu Motobu). However it is my understanding that there is some Motobu Udun Di style practised on Okinawa by Uehara's students that is separate from the group headed by Chosei Motobu.

Regards
    Last edited by Katsujinken; 30th December 2008 at 14:49.
    Chris Norman

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Katsujinken View Post
    Xenophon456 wrote: 'He learned from Seitoku Higa Who studied under Motobu Choyo'.

Seitoku Higa was founder of the Bugeikan school of martial arts and did not study under Choyu Motobu, he studied with Seikichi Uehara from 1961 and established the Bugeikan martial arts school in 1968, which is now, and has been for some time run by his son Kiyohiko Higa.

The Bugeikan is not a style but more of a collection of various arts that have since been incorporated into something called Seido. Seikichi Uehara was not Seitoku Higa's first teacher, who was in fact Soko Kishomoto of the so called Takemura Shuri Te line. Seitoku Higa was awarded a Shihan Grade by Kanken Toyama (who has already been mentioned in this thread). In fact Seitoku Higa who himself passed away in 2006 had several teachers.

Motobu Ryu was established as a style by Seikichi Uehara in 1947 on the basis of what he had learnt from Choyu Motobu between July 1916 until his migration to Manila in the Philippines on the 24th December 1926, returning to Okinawa in 1947. The correct title of Uehara's art is Motobu Ryu Udun Di.

In 1979 Chosei Motobu (Choki Motobu's son) was first taught for 10 days by Seikichi Uehara and then on a number of occassions after that and he now officially heads both of the Motobu family styles, that of the Daidokan Dojo (established by Choki Motobu) and Motobu Udun Di (established by Seikichi Uehara on the basis of what he learnt from Choyu Motobu). However it is my understanding that there is some Motobu Udun Di style practised on Okinawa by Uehara's students that is separate from the group headed by Chosei Motobu.

Regards
    Thank you very much Chris, Motobu Ryu has been a hard one for me. About a year ago I spent a short time researching it. I found it very frustrating because some of the information I found conflicted. And some of it conflicted with what my Sensei was telling me. I never found in my research that Higa studied under Choyo only under Uehara. I've speculated that maybee he studied under both. My Sensei insisted that Higa studied under Choyo. Now it could of been a language barrier that either my Sensei did not understand my questions or I did not understand his answers. In the end I never pushed the matter I simply tried to be a good student and said yes sir and excepted what he said.
    Last edited by Xenophon456; 30th December 2008 at 23:06.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Habusan View Post
    Please don't put words in my mouth.
    Hubusan I think you mis understood or mis read what I said. What I wrote was not a statement it was a question.

Likes (received)

Hello Prince,

A little late in coming, but I found this thread just now. Kushin Ryu Karate is still very much alive, although Soke Ueshima has passed away in 1987. At present, Horyu Matsuzaki is the president of Kushin Ryu Karate Do; his son Sawanori was the all karate champion of Japan from 2000 until 2004.

Kushin Ryu is outside of Japan practiced in Australia (see http://kushinryu.webs.com/ ) and has literally millions of practitioners in Indonesia, where it is taught in the army as the main man to man combat style. See also http://www.freewebs.com/kushin-ryu/

Kushin Ryu is derived mainly from Goju Ryu, Shōrin-ryū, Tomari-Te and Konshin Yujoyitsu and therefore embodies a lot of jiu jitsu techniques, which makes it suitable for the army as mentioned above.

Osu,

Peter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3