Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gigo's mystery kata

Likes (received)

According to Harry Cook's Shotokan Karate - A Precise History, p.302 Funakoshi also mentioned kata like Wanduan, Wandu, Jumu and Kokan in his 1922 book, and that these kata are rare or unknown. Could any of these be the mystery kata?
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Likes (received)

Wanduan and Wando are pretty easy to find. John Sells put out Wando on video a few years ago and the Ryukyu Kempo guys do Wanduan or Wandan. Jumu is a really short Sanchin-ish kata. The only one that is really a mystery is Kokan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLn9hM-k4O0 - Wanduan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8o0pfsf3IE - Wando

A lot of these kata were made up and forgotten in the same breath. Some of these old kata survived and some didn't. I think Kokan is one of those one's that is really lost. Other than Funakoshi's writings I haven't even seen that one mentioned anywhere. I makes me wonder if he put it in Katakana or in Kanji originally. The books that I have are all later editions so a lot of things were edited and changed into katakana. If it was in Kanji it might have been one of those ones that was lost in translation and not really a lost kata as per say.

Scot
    Scot Mertz
    www.ryuhoryu.com

Likes (received)

A bit of thread necromancy here, but something cropped up at practice yesterday.

According to my instructor:
    * There are few records of the kata Kanku-Sho existing pre-war (it may have been created by Itosu... or someone else?)
    * There is evidence to suggest that the Shotokan version of Kanku-Dai is actually much closer to the original Koshokun than a lot of the current versions practiced in Okinawa now.

Could one of the Kanku be the mystery kata?
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2