Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Samurai documentary

Likes (received)

Default Samurai documentary

Hi there,

I'm an assistant producer with Diverse TV in the UK. We're hoping to make a documentary about Miyamoto Musashi’s life and wider Samurai culture in Japan in November. In terms of specifically martial arts, I'm currently looking for people (Japanese or otherwise) the presenter can meet in Japan who have incredible skills in specific martial arts/weapons which are linked to Samurai history and which they might be happy to demonstrate – and possibly teach.

If anyone knows anyone I should be talking to, please let me know! Any help or advice you could give me would be very much appreciated.

All the best.

Catherine

Likes (received)

HI

I would suggest contacting one of these two guys in Japan.

they live there and speak the language and will be able to liase with Hatsumi Masaaki for you.

Paul Masse
    http://web.mac.com/phmasse/martial_profile/Welcome.html

Doug Wilson
    http://henka.wordpress.com/
    Paul Richardson - Shidoshi
    Bujinkan Lincoln Dojo

Likes (received)

http://wwww.jinenkan.com

Contact Kato-san he is Manaka Sensei's manager so to speak. While he is one of the most senior students of Hatsumi Sensei, his way of teaching and movement more strongly resembles what people think of as "Samurai Movement."

Sincerely,
    Shawn Zemba

Likes (received)

Contact Kato-san he is Manaka Sensei's manager so to speak. While he is one of the most senior students of Hatsumi Sensei, his way of teaching and movement more strongly resembles what people think of as "Samurai Movement."
    HUH? No sense make you speak.
    Jon Gillespie

Likes (received)

Hi Jon

Kato is the manager for the Jinenkan

Manaka sensei resigned as a member of the Bujinkan as an organisation. He never told Hatsumi sensei he was leaving as his student.

Hatsumi sensei from what i gather has never dismissed him as a student. Nagato sensei told me in private conversation this year that there is only one person who has been removed from the Bujinkan and also no longer permitted to come back and he is Spanish.

Nagato sensei then said Manaka and Tanemura left the Org to do their own thing, but neither was expelled or told never to return.

In the west we would clearly take someone quitting the org to be a complete removal, but the Japanese dont always eee it that way either. I know Tanemura sensei published part of his resignation recently but not all of it so we can not say if it states he is quitting as a student of Hatsumi sensei or not.
    Bujinkan Lincoln Dojo

Likes (received)

Not to take anything away from the ninpo and Bujinkan folk here, but if you're doing a serious, honest program about Musashi and the samurai of that era, you probably want to talk to the Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu folks; the people actually practicing the art Musashi created. They even have a branch in the UK.

http://www.nitenichiryu.co.uk/index.html

Don't know if they'd be interested or not, but they're probably the first place to look.

EDIT: Ah, I see there are some other threads where this has already been suggested.

Likes (received)

HI

if your looking for Samurai stuff then I would suggest these also as just a sample.

katori Shinto Ryu
    Kashima Shin (shinto) Ryu
    Yagyu Shingan Ryu
    Todaha Buko Ryu
    Takenouchi Ryu

the list is endless

maybe look in the Koryu section and ask there, those guys will be in better position to help you and make introductions for you.

In case you dont know, it is not advisable to just turn up and expect them to help, they are quite formal in there ways and would expect some sort of introduction first.

remember the old saying. Manners cost nothing

and it will open many doors for you.
    Bujinkan Lincoln Dojo

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by poryu View Post
    Hi Jon

Kato is the manager for the Jinenkan

Manaka sensei resigned as a member of the Bujinkan as an organisation. He never told Hatsumi sensei he was leaving as his student.
    I think the reason why Jon is not understanding is because Shawn mentioned to contact Kato-san and then mentioned "He " was one of the most senior of Hatsumi Sensei, which sounded like "Kato was one of the most senior of Hatsumi Sensei." At least that's how I read it, but I knew who he was talking about.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reyer View Post
    Not to take anything away from the ninpo and Bujinkan folk here, but if you're doing a serious, honest program about Musashi and the samurai of that era, you probably want to talk to the Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu folks; the people actually practicing the art Musashi created. They even have a branch in the UK.

http://www.nitenichiryu.co.uk/index.html

Don't know if they'd be interested or not, but they're probably the first place to look.

EDIT: Ah, I see there are some other threads where this has already been suggested.
    Cheers Josh, we have been speaking to Catherine for a week or so now. Thanks for considering us.
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Paul, George,

Thank you for clarifying. I thought I may have worded things a bit strangely, but I wasn't going to be online long and couldn't think of a a better way to say it.

Sincerely,
    Shawn Zemba

Likes (received)

That is how I read it. I was tired, makes sense now..
    Jon Gillespie

Likes (received)

Beer

HI all

we managed to get straight to the point and sorted in a only 3 posts.

I was dreading the inbox full of 1001 flame attacks and crap regarding the post.

This has to be a first for at least 10 years

LOL

Bujinkan Lincoln Dojo