Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite semi-auto shotgun?

Likes (received)

Default What's your favorite semi-auto shotgun?

I'm interested in the Beretta Xtrema, a Mossberg 930 and a Benelli Nova. I've only fired pump-action and like their reliability, but have heard that semi-automatic shotguns are far superior.

It will be for home defense, and a female will be using this as well, so I'm looking at something with reduced recoil. I'd also like a large magazine tube and maybe some cool toys like a collapsable stock or maybe one of those nifty red dot sights. Any recommendations?
    Kevin Geaslin
    Genbukan Ninpo & Kokusai Jujutsu

Likes (received)

I prefer the Benelli Super 90 which I have but for the price and reliability you can't go wrong with the Remington 1100.
    I purchased a used one from a police department that were upgrading their shotguns and it shoots well.
    You can also look into the Tactical version but that also brings the price up.
    Also keep in mind that some semi-auto do not feed nor cycle low recoil loads very well. Why as I home defense I prefer my customized 870.
    Instead of a collapsible stock look into the Knox stocks. They will help reduce recoil and have been getting good write ups lately.
    Good luck.
    Tony Urena

Likes (received)

I love the look of the Remington 870, a beautiful weapon.
    Kevin Geaslin

Likes (received)

Remington 1100, Browning "Sweet 16", Saiga 12
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

Semi-automatics are nice, but I'm partial to the Remington 870. It was one of the weapons I carried while in the Army. Even though, the first time I was assigned one, it was a modified version. It was also a hand-me-down from another unit, so it had been used quite a bit. But, I never had any problems with it.

The second time I was assigned one was several years later. The 870 I was carrying at that time was made back in the late 1960's and again I never had any problems.

I have one now at home. Not to mention, the pump action has a phychological factor when heard. I also prefer the speedloading with the pump.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Geaslin View Post
    ...semi-automatic shotguns are far superior.
    It depends. Which semiauto, and for what purpose.

It will be for home defense, and a female will be using this as well, so I'm looking at something with reduced recoil.
    I recommend a Remington or Mossberg pump-action.

For home defense, the first round can be a light load of bird shot -- effective for defense at close range, but less likely to accidentally penetrate a wall than buck shot or a slug -- and further rounds can be something more potent in case needed.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default My choice...

If you are buying it for hunting, then I'd suggest the Mossberg 935, because it is a good, tough, easy-to-use, all-purpose shotgun, that can handle some of the most powerful 12-gauge game and fowl loads on the market, because it is built on a 10-gauge frame. If you go this route, then get the synthetic stock with the weighted inserts, to reduce your felt recoil to almost .410-gauge levels.

If you are buying it for law enforcement, then I'd suggest the Mossberg 835, with the (special order only!) 18 1/12" barrel, because it handles more of the specialty rounds that are on the police market, such as the 3 1/2" graphite "door buster" (often, many doors take a second shot from even a 3" magnum shell, to bust the hinges off a door), the 3 1/2" rubber buck / ball (for crowd control), and the 3 1/2" sniper-friendly 1oz. sabot round (which is capable of 3" groups at 100 yards, even with a "cylinder" choke on the end of the barrel).

The reason why I suggested the 935 for hunting, and the 835 for LE use, is because - WHEN YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON YOUR GUN - you don't wan't a malfunctioning shell in your tube that has to be cleared by removing your shooting hand from the weapon, while you piddle with the action, and re-charge the weapon. If you're just turkey hunting, go with the auto.

IF you can get your hands on an old Franchi-Spas auto-pump, and have a gunsmith in your area who can widen the throat to accept a 3 1/2" shell, then the barrel on that gun can handle the increased pressures of the larger shell, and you'd then have 6, 3 1/2" shells in your shotgun. But, I digress.....

Later,
    Stephen W.

Likes (received)

I came across a Franchi Law-12 at a local gunstore, which just feels very nice, but it's kind of banged-up looking and a bit pricey for a used shotgun. I'll keep an eye out at some of the local gunshows.
    Kevin Geaslin

Likes (received)

Kevin,

Since you are not in law enforcement (you don't need those special rounds) I would recommend the Remington 870. It is reliable and not very expensive (at least not right now) compared to other shotguns.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyU View Post
    ...Also keep in mind that some semi-auto do not feed nor cycle low recoil loads very well. Why as I home defense I prefer my customized 870.
    I love the look of the Remington 870, a beautiful weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Kohler View Post
    Semi-automatics are nice, but I'm partial to the Remington 870. ...the pump action has a phychological factor when heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens View Post
    ...I recommend a Remington or Mossberg pump-action.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Kohler View Post
    ...I would recommend the Remington 870. It is reliable and not very expensive (at least not right now) compared to other shotguns.
    Okay, George voted twice, but still...

Remington 870!

No, it's not a semi-automatic, but it's probably the best bet for your described use.

[Hmmm. I guess I've now voted twice, too.]
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens View Post
    Okay, George voted twice, but still...

Remington 870!

No, it's not a semi-automatic, but it's probably the best bet for your described use.

[Hmmm. I guess I've now voted twice, too.]
    Me too!
    Tony Urena

Likes (received)

Cool

lol sounds unanimous. there's something about the 870's forward grip that just looks awesome. I guess they're easy to customize, I see tons of them at gunshows with all kinds of sidesaddles, top and side folding stocks, chokes, etc.

I like the idea of being able to change ammunition without it automatically loading the next round for me. But I suppose I'd get in trouble for firing at a burglar with a round of dragon's breath or flechettes!
    Kevin Geaslin

Likes (received)

Rem 870. Always went bang when I needed it to.
    Desmond Harpster

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. W.C.Fields

Man: is this gambling?
    WC: not the way I play it.

Likes (received)

But I suppose I'd get in trouble for firing at a burglar with a round of dragon's breath or flechettes!
    That depends on whether or not you have a shovel and a big backyard.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

I think it's tough to beat the Rem 1100 for a gas operated 12 gauge.
    If you're not married to auto, I'd agree with the 870 - reliable, affordable, and effective.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast