Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's your favorite semi-auto shotgun?

Likes (received)

I have an 870. Well.... I have a bunch of shotguns.

The best pump gun of all time is the Winchester Model 12. But it has been out of production since 1963. It cost too must too money to produce such a fine shotgun.

Remington 1100 is nice. I like my 1100 better than Dad's Belgian Browning Auto-5. I don't know anything about Benelli or any of this new fancy stuff that is out there these days.

A gas auto will reduce recoil. Recoil pad will help also. Stock fit is real important. The guns needs to fit her.

Also gun weight will effect recoil. Bad part about that is the shooter is a woman. Lighter the gun the more it kick. Heavier the gun less it kicks. So it is a trade off between weight and recoil.

I don't buy into this business of using low base shells for self defense. OK if you are shooting quail or trap loads for shooting blue rock but it you what to stop somebody then you want to stop them.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

I like the Mossberg 500 series. They are affordable and reliable. I feel pump is better for home defense. There is nothing like the sound of a shotgun pumping. That sound alone is likely to send the intruder running.

Now, if a smaller woman is going to be using it, you might want to consider a 20 guage and modify the load.
    Tony Partlow
    Shogen-Ryu Karate-Do
    www.shogen-ryu.org
    www.okinawa-shogenryu.com

Likes (received)

Default Remington 870

Reliability equals survivability in combat. The 870 is a great weapon for home defense. My advice? stay away from the high priced autos, put ghost ring sights on an 870 with a side saddle and a sling. The only additional might be a surefire fore grip light. I have a juvenile stock on mine to bring it into a better CQB type alignment. If a small frame lady is going to be shooting it you can use lighter loads without the feeding problems you might experience in an auto. If your heart is set on an auto, the Benelli super 90 is good but be advised, one of our entry guys used one for a while and went back to the Remington 870 instead.
    ***Note***. spend at least three times as much on training as you do on the gun. Just my opinion.

Have fun!
    David Pletsch

Likes (received)

I have to echo Tony here. The 870 is and would be my first choice for a defensive shotgun.
    I have only had one Autoloader that I trusted half as much as my 870s and that was a saiga 12).

I still don't think I'd carry it into harms way.
    R. Kite
    Budoka 34
    "Study hard and all things can be accomplished; give up and you will amount to nothing".

-Yamaoka Tesshu

Likes (received)

If the question is "what is the best SG choice" I would say the 870.

My opinion on "the favorite semi-auto" would be the 1100. For me its the best gun for the least cash. Yeah there are "better" if you want to pay for it, but IMO the "advantages" that "better" gives you are negligible. The 1100 works just fine. The same goes for all weapons IMO. Styer, Tikka, FN and other high end rifles are fine rifles and expensive. However your average shooter cant shoot a good domestic rifle like the Remington 700 to its highest capacity.

Likes (received)

Remington 870. It's simple, reliable and I've breached through quite a few doors with it with no issues. Excellent weapon!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Perez View Post
    I've breached through quite a few doors with it with no issues.
    The first time I was assigned a 870 was for this very same purpose. I never had any problems with it, even though I never used it in actual combat. BTW, thanks for your service Juan. Glad you are back home.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyU View Post
    I prefer the Benelli Super 90
    That's the one.
    كافر

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shogen View Post
    I like the Mossberg 500 series. They are affordable and reliable. I feel pump is better for home defense. There is nothing like the sound of a shotgun pumping. That sound alone is likely to send the intruder running.

Now, if a smaller woman is going to be using it, you might want to consider a 20 guage and modify the load.
    The Mossberg is a decent gun. It gets downplayed by many hunters in favor of the 870

I also like the Browning A5
    Richard Scardina

Likes (received)

On another note. The design for the pump and auto shotgun was first invented by John Browning. As well as most auto pistols today. Without John Browning's initial genius, much of the guns out there would have not copied firearm design aspects.
    Richard Scardina

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2