Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What to do when young students throw tantrum?

Likes (received)

Default What to do when young students throw tantrum?

I am an assistant instructor. Last wensday my master called me to ask to teach 3 class, because he had to go to Tokyo for something undisclosed.
    My last 2 classes were great, my first class was a disaster.

It was a sparring class for 12-14 year olds. I never taught them before. Besides not listening to my corrections, most had very slappy techniques. I am guessin my master called everyone and told them that he would be out, but the class will still run because only 4 kids showed up. Usually there are over 20 students.
    I decided to work on their techniques and give them individual attention. When I announced that one student asked when will we sparr. I told him that we won't sparr today. (Also with one girl, one tall boy, and two twins this was not going to be a good pair up situation.)
    Anyhow when I announced, the boy stumped his feet and said they only reason he came in is to "Kick some ass"
    I avoided the comment as I was not sure how to respond.
    To make matters worst he refused to work on his punches, instead repeating loudly "I want to sparr, I want to sparr"
    This was my test of control by the way, I came close to placing my fist through his head.

Other kids did their best to do what they had to do. Finally the kid stopped yelling and sat down on the floor and kept sitting there.

After class I was going to talk to him, but having no real authority I did not.

So that's true respect for you.

Likes (received)

Sorry if i sound bold but within the Dojo YOU have authority.

Look up every dojo etiquette there are a few rules you will ALLWAYS find.
    Respect the dojo. Respect the sensei, sempei, shi, shihan, son shihan or Soke.

The kid clearly showed no respect and has a very wrong view on martial arts.

The very first thing you learn when doing a martial arts wetter its Karate or Bu jitsu is that it is NOT to "kick ass".

When i would make a remark like that (yes i am much older then the kid) when i did Kyukushinkai karate my sensei would say. OK lets spar and at the end of the sparring round i would be happy if i didn't have to crawl out of the Dojo.

Now i understand you can't kick a 12 year old's but. But you can take disciplinary actions.

You where right to work on technique as you cant spar properly with at least a decent grasp of technique.

If i was running that class i would have definably taken him apart at the end of the class and had a word with him.

I have also trained some young people when i did Kyukusinkai karate and i know its different to teach a kid compared to an adult.

Important thing is DO NOT GIVE IN. They will see it as a weakness or win. You are the teacher and you decide what they will do. It takes some time and practice to figure out a good way or plan to teach them and keep their interest.

Don't let them get under your skin.

Likes (received)

There are four shares of blame, not necessarily of equal size:

The master/dojo owner, for not rooting out this behavior from jump street.

You, for allowing him to disrespect you as an adult, as an instructor, and as a senior student.

His parents, because this type of "stuff" doesn't spring up spontaneously.

The young boy himself.

I bet dollars to donuts his dad and mom are divorced, or, there is a small chance that they are still together, but the dad is self-employed and works all the time. Guaranteed.

I was a private tutor for 12 years, and I have dealt with children this age.
    Terry Miller

Likes (received)

Just a thought following a recent conversation with a colleague...

Me: I'm teaching a second year class tomorrow. I'm not anticipating any real trouble.
    J: Oh?
    Me: Luck favors the prepared. And I'm NOT prepared to put up with any bull****!
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!