Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mad Max in Japan

Likes (received)

Default Mad Max in Japan

Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Wasn't the original Mad Max retitled The Road Warrior for the US market? I believe that it was also subtitled because it was a foreign film!!
    It was a major influence behind the Japanese comic series Hokuto no Ken (AKA Fist of the North Star), particularly the dress sense of the hero (based on Max's wardrobe) and the bad guys (from Mad Max 2 and 3)
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Likes (received)

Not sure, but here's a site for weekend reading.

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

I remember seeing that movie and then being inspired to go for a blast on my Honda 900 along the Westway in London, at somewhat illegal speeds. A long time ago...

Dirk

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
    Wasn't the original Mad Max retitled The Road Warrior for the US market? I believe that it was also subtitled because it was a foreign film!!
    My recollection is that Mad Max was released before The Road Warrior by several years, but that the latter had more box office success in the USA. The Road Warrior was also known as Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior.

And then, of course, there was Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.

I don't remember subtitles in the original Mad Max, but I do remember it being post-dubbed (poorly), and so had somewhat the feel of a Chinese-export film.

Post-dubbing is common in films not shot on a sound stage, but lower-budget films don't often have the advantage of ADR (automatic dialog replacement), so the speech is often poorly sync'd with the visuals, and lack of depth in the post-dubbed sound effects (the richly-layered sounds in better films are added on a Foley stage by talented Foley artists) makes the audio on low-budget films seem "flat."
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Wikipedia to the rescue!

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    When the film was first released in America, all the voices, including that of Mel Gibson's character, were dubbed by U.S. performers at the behest of the distributor, American International Pictures, for fear that audiences would not take warmly to actors speaking entirely with Australian accents. Much of the Australian slang and terminology was also replaced with American usages (examples: "See looks!" became "Look see!", "windscreen" became "windshield", "very toey" became "super hot", and "probie" became "rookie"). AIP also altered the operator's duty call on Jim Goose's bike in the beginning of the movie (it ended with "Come on, Goose, where are you?"). The only dubbing exceptions were the voice of the singer in the Sugartown Cabaret (played by Robina Chaffey), the voice of Charlie (played by John Ley) through the mechanical voice box, and Officer Jim Goose (played by Steve Bisley), singing as he drives a truck before being ambushed.
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
    Wikipedia to the rescue!
    Am I good, or what.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Bubba Zanneti was my favorite character in this movie. All action ~ Less Talk ! The Goose follows next !
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo