Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mat Framing Ideas-Help please!

Likes (received)

Default Mat Framing Ideas-Help please!

I have recently been blessed with the opportunity to open my own Dojo after teaching at other schools for many years.
    This is my dilema- I have purchased approx 900 sq. ft. of the Dollumer/Swain Flexi roll mats. These mats are approx. 1 1/4 inch in height. I have heard differing opinions on how to frame these mats in and am now suffering from "analysis paralysis". I have been told to frame the mats in (using 1x1 or 1x2 lumber) leaving a 1/4 inch margin of mat exposure on the top so as to prevent foot injury to those getting on and off the mat, or those thrown close to the border edge. The manufacturer rep said that I should frame it all the way to the top with no exposure. The Dojo I taught in for 16 years had matting surface built in to the whole floor so we did not have to contend with this. I will be laying the mats down this Saturday and the Dojo will open the following week. Opinions would be greatly appreciated on this matter.
    I was not sure under which section to post this so my apologies to the moderators in advance if this is in the wrong section.
    Rick Torres, Dojo Cho
    Integrity Defensive Arts
    Victoria, Texas
    www.ksrjujitsu.com
    [/B]

Likes (received)

Leave the margin. The manufacturer's rep won't be the one with the heavy conscience or lawyer's fees.
    Terry Miller

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPaladin View Post
    Leave the margin. The manufacturer's rep won't be the one with the heavy conscience or lawyer's fees.
    That is a very good point. Any others out there with ideas about this.
    Rick Torres, Dojo Cho
    Integrity Defensive Arts
    Victoria, Texas
    www.ksrjujitsu.com
    [/B]

Likes (received)

Default Mats

Jitsumania did the mat / margin turn out okay?
    Kobudo