Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How soon does one need to go to Japan

Likes (received)

If you read my article on boxer Piston Horiguchi and Graham Noble's article about karateka Choki Motobu at JCbtSport at http://ejmas.com , I think you will get some insight into how kendo has affected karate.

If truly interested, there is also information on the culture of Imperial Japanese boxing in my article on Korean boxers 1926-1945 published by the Korean American Historical Society in "Occasional Papers." You can order copies through their website http://www.kahs.org . I mention this because after Piston Horiguchi got punchy from taking too many blows to the head, rather than retire him his trainers sent him to a kendo dojo to recover his Yamato damashii. Once his fighting spirit was discovered to lost, of course his handlers simply discarded him.

Likes (received)

Originally posted by Joseph Svinth
    If you read my article on boxer Piston Horiguchi and Graham Noble's article about karateka Choki Motobu at JCbtSport at http://ejmas.com , I think you will get some insight into how kendo has affected karate.
    I read both these articles and don't see anything like that. Are you sure these are the articles?
    Kent Enfield
    Kentokuseisei

Likes (received)

If the answers aren't immediately obvious, then that means that we need a detailed technical discussion. And that means some enormous thread drift. Maybe start a new thread down in gendai?

But, a very cursory glance at the topic. Before WWII, Japanese boxers used to train very much like kendoka. That is, the emphasis was on Yamato damashii, attack rather than defense, one good punch (generally a wild right swing) rather than combinations of fairly straight punches, etc.

Now, this doesn't sound much different from kendo if you do kendo today, but back in the 1930s they didn't allow the tag-style kendo with rapid movement you see today. Instead you stood your ground and simply continued attacking until someone was judged the loser. In swordsmanship the weapon causes the end to come fairly quickly, but of course in boxing the fight can go on all night.

Interestingly, because modern Japanese boxers (and kendoka) back up like Ali or Tunney, work for wins on points rather than insisting on treating the fans to knockouts, and use combinations rather than attempting to end it all with a single technique, they are generally viewed as lacking the fighting spirit of their pre-WWII predecessors. Nevertheless the postwar Japanese boxers are technically far superior fighters. After all, fists are not swords and should not be used as if they were.

There is more to it than this, of course, but as I said, the thread drift is enormous.

[Edited by Joseph Svinth on 07-14-2000 at 01:40 AM]

Likes (received)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joseph Svinth
    [B]If you read my article on boxer Piston Horiguchi and Graham Noble's article about karateka Choki Motobu at JCbtSport at http://ejmas.com , I think you will get some insight into how kendo has affected karate.

Thanks, I'll check it out..

ed chart

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3