Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Le Beaujolais Nouveau est arrivé!

Likes (received)

Default Le Beaujolais Nouveau est arrivé!

I just got my hands on two nouveaus; Dupond Beaujolais Nouveau and Château des Loges Beaujolais-Villages Nouveau.

Prices were 7,48€ and 8,90€.

Anybody else planning on tasting this years harvest?
    A.J. Vedenkannas

"A horribile Haccapaelitorum agmine libera nos, Domine."

Likes (received)

Right now I am sipping a 2008 Georges DeBeouf Beaujolais Nouveau. S'ok. Big fruit body, but I think I should let it breathe a bit, decant it even.
    John Connolly

Yamamoto Ha Fluffy Aiki Bunny Ryu

Likes (received)

Hi John!

Nice to "meet" you!

You are absolutely right, let it breath...

Me and SWMBO tasted Dupond Beaujolais Nouveau last thursday with some Caesar salad and baguette. The taste was light as expected, supple, fresh, berrylike with a taste of raspberries and a hint of banana. Anyways we didn't quite manage the whole bottle right a way and there as some left over that I drank couple of hours later and the wine had improved markedly. I opened another bottle in saturday and decanted it an hour in advance, and hey presto! it was a really nice wine this time.

Both of us liked it better than either one of the last years offering. Yes you read it right, the government alcohol monopoly dictates what we can buy here, and last two years that has ment only two samples of Beaujolais N.

Tomorrow night when I have the house to my self, I'm planning on opening the Château des Loges Beaujolais-Villages Nouveau with some potatoe salad and cold roast beef.

BTW John, you don't mind if I ask how much did you have to shell out for the plonk? Prices for what is sold in Finland are 7,48€ and 8,90€ which translates to 9,35$ and 11,13$ with todays Forex of 1€=1,25$
    Last edited by Vedenant; 27th November 2008 at 08:01. Reason: Addendum
    A.J. Vedenkannas

Likes (received)

Greetings A.J.,

I paid around the same price as you, around $10.50. However, I have seen it as low as $7 and also priced up into the $30/40 range for posh brands (although I'll never pay more than $15 for any wine, if I can help it).

We're fairly lucky about the variety and price of wines available in this region. I've been able to drink different Beaujolais Nouveau every year for fairly cheap.

This year's Georges DeBeouf Beaujolais Nouveau tastes very much of black cherry and raspberry. Letting it sit did open up the flavor quite a bit, although I have to admit, I didn't wait very long!

Well, off to cook pizza (yeah that's right: pizza) for Thanksgiving...
    John Connolly

Yamamoto Ha Fluffy Aiki Bunny Ryu

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Connolly View Post
    Well, off to cook pizza (yeah that's right: pizza) for Thanksgiving...

Cheers! I like your style!!

I agree with you completely, with the 15$ range from producers of good reputation you can rarely go wrong. (IMHO Warning!) 30/40$ for B-N is just nuts! Any wine in that price range infact is something you gotta know what you're buying and even then it's not that much better that it would justify doubled price.

Yeah the government wine and spirits monopoly is sometimes a drag because of my strong belief in free trade, and as it sometimes limits my options; opening hours and selection etc. But I do believe that most of the time when buying wine I do benefit from it, because the Finnish government monopoly company Alko is such a huge customer to the wine producers, we do get very good value here. If you wonder how big it is, Alko's 2006 net turnover was 1,3 bil$ and profit for the period 56,8 mil$, now that is big enough for beverage retail. For example one of my favourite "expensive" wines is Zenato Ripassa Valpolicella Superiore which is 24$ at our local store, which is some 2-5$ (8-20%) less than what I found with a quick google.

Anyways, sorry about the lenghty part about money, working in bank causes these temporary lapses...

Have a nice week end and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Last edited by Vedenant; 28th November 2008 at 08:37. Reason: typo
    A.J. Vedenkannas